Sponsored

11's all the way around?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That's not accurate by my experience.

If you're saying there's a street tire out there that works better than an RE71R or RT660 or A052 (200TW tires) at 75° ambient temp, I'm sure not aware of it. Maybe you're thinking of streetable track tires, like the Sport Cup 2.
by 'work' I don't mean "not ice skates" but perform at on peak +/-. If optimum temp is 140F and you're putzing around and can only get them up to 90F, you're WAY below what the tire is capable of doing. That was the premise of my "at street speeds can't get hot enough to work".

It doesn't necessarily hold that a 200TW at 90F is any better (might be worse) than a 500TW at 90F.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
by 'work' I don't mean "not ice skates" but perform at on peak +/-. If optimum temp is 140F and you're putzing around and can only get them up to 90F, you're WAY below what the tire is capable of doing. That was the premise of my "at street speeds can't get hot enough to work".

It doesn't necessarily hold that a 200TW at 90F is any better (might be worse) than a 500TW at 90F.
"at street speeds can't get hot enough to work" isn't a very accurate statement. They're hot enough to work better than nearly all those >200tw tires, so yes they work. They absolutely work.

Tell me your >200TW tire that works better at 90° ambient than my favorite 200TW tire. I'll wait.

Please don't try to make the nonsense case that some 500TW tire is going to stick better than a 200TW tire at 90°F, cause I'm going to pull your card on that right there.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Tell me your >200TW tire that works better at 90° ambient than my favorite 200TW tire. I'll wait.
I haven't sampled them all (or even a fraction) and I don't have a skid-pad or accel/brake lane to do instrumented testing. I can say the 200W rated Cup2 don't work very well unless they are good and hot, ditto the Corsa4 (TW80) compared to the same car over the same roads at same temps shod with 300TW all-seasons. Of course the 200TW tire at full operating temp will (or damn well should) soundly spank a 300TW tire at it's full operating temp.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't sampled them all (or even a fraction) and I don't have a skid-pad or accel/brake lane to do instrumented testing. I can say the 200W rated Cup2 don't work very well unless they are good and hot, ditto the Corsa4 (TW80) compared to the same car over the same roads at same temps shod with 300TW all-seasons. Of course the 200TW tire at full operating temp will (or damn well should) soundly spank a 300TW tire at it's full operating temp.
Right, thanks, its a lot more useful to talk about specific tires.

Sport Cup 2 are 180TW are "streetable track tires", so the need for heat makes sense. At 180TW I don't consider those part of the 200TW "extreme performance street tire" group. The new the 240TW versions of the Sport Cup 2 (thanks BTW to Michelin for making two completely different tire compounds the same exact name), those 240TW tires don't come in mustang sizes AFAIK, so we'll see about those.

The extreme performance 200TW street tires (RT660, A052, RS4) don't generally fall into the trap of needing that extra heat that the Cup2s need before the grip comes on.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
A lot of these questions can be addressed by:
  1. Research - recognize that the tire company provided ratings are equal parts marketing and testing - Don’t trust them for more than early round categorization - Learn from experience (yours and others)
  2. Managing expectations- there is no silver bullet that is optimized for every situation - buy the right tire for your intended use - It may mean you need more than one set of tires/wheels
  3. Making smart choices about how/when/where to drive fast - If you decide to drive fast, do it on the track where it belongs - If you are on public roads, practice substantial restraint
If we employ these 3 guiding principles together, we’ll be happier with our cars and better citizens.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Further entertaining the idea of haveing 11" inch rims on four corners.

And having the capability to fully rotate the tires, is a huge plus.

I can see CUP2s having a longer life, as of now the front run twice the distance of the rear set. Without burns out, to be clear.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
19x11 square +50 w/ 305's. Was able to use a 20mm spacer in front with plenty of space between tire and shock.
IMG_4219.jpeg

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
19x11 square +50 w/ 305's. Was able to use a 20mm spacer in front with plenty of space between tire and shock.
IMG_4219.jpeg
Plenty of room, were they rubbing, something I hadn't thought of. Those are the PP2 wheel, 2019 ?

You sure bout 20mm, pretty damn big spacer ? I mean anything is possible, and could explain why Ford staggered the wheel.

Think I need to leave the wheels sealed, mount the rear up front, check this. Thanks for the heads up... :thumbsup:

IMG_0587.jpeg

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
IMG_4219.jpeg
That’s a PP2, isn’t it? I got away with a 20mm spacer on my Magneride car as well, but a number of folks have had to go with 25mm spacers… I suspect there is a difference in MR vs regular hubs/spindles, but have no info to back that up. Measure twice, spend once…

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it is a pp2 Just checking lacking 3/4 = 20mm, so I might push this off. Not liking the spacer idea.

Going to cancel the wheel order, not delivering until 11/7, so just a paper work deal.

Next oil change I' ll jam a rear wheel in, go/no ..... go. go reorder.

Appreciate the red flag on this :handshake:

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Plenty of room, were they rubbing, something I hadn't thought of. Those are the PP2 wheel, 2019 ?

You sure bout 20mm, pretty damn big spacer ? I mean anything is possible, and could explain why Ford staggered the wheel.

Think I need to leave the wheels sealed, mount the rear up front, check this. Thanks for the heads up... :thumbsup:

IMG_0587.jpeg
Yup 100% positive. I used a 20mm but could be due to unique PP2 knuckle and hub or mag ride. Most the interwebs say a 25 is required.

I like to be able to rotate. I even run them backwards rotation when dry.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Yes it is a pp2 Just checking lacking 3/4 = 20mm, so I might push this off. Not liking the spacer idea.

Going to cancel the wheel order, not delivering until 11/7, so just a paper work deal.

I’m not sure what there is to be scared of with spacer?

I tested mine pretty regularly going airborn over gnarly curbing at the Glen and Road Atlanta.

Plan to run same setup on my Mach 1 if my order manages to squeeze through.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

None of us track guys are talking about bolt on spacers with 40 total fasteners holding your wheels on the car. We're talking extended wheel studs and slip on spacers, which are proven reliable in motorsports and on the street.

The PP2 rear wheel is ET48 IIRC, which with the right camber could fit on the front of a GT with about a 20mm spacer. A lot of aftermarket 11s are 50 or 52mm, so a few mm here or there will add up to slightly different spacer thicknesses needed. 11s on the front of a street car is completely overkill. Fun tho.
Sponsored