CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Nitto 555 G2. Absolutely the worst tires I have ever owned. In rain they are scary. Poor wet traction. Horrible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Nitto 555 G2. Absolutely the worst tires I have ever owned. In rain they are scary. Poor wet traction. Horrible.
Good to know, so many people run those tires I would never have thought that in a million years.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I have the Continental Extreme Contact SPorts on my car currently. I like them.
I'm thinking of upgrading wheels and tires at some point, so I'll go with the Michelin PS4. I hear and read good things about them.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Quick note for anyone considering the Indy 500’s.

There probably isn’t a better “all around” tire for these cars, especially at the price point they’re in.

Best way to summarize is this:

Excellent price point

Excellent straight line and cornering grip; but DO NOT expect them to outperform the Michelen’s or Conti’s in overall grip.

Excellent wear. Where the rear Pirelli’s were toast at 10k, at 15k the Indy’s have another 10-15k left. The front should last even longer.

Wheel hop is diminished compared to the Pirelli’s

Ride quality is excellent and these tires are nearly silent

Wet traction and driving is very confident. I’ve driven these through some crap weather and they don’t care. They keep the car straight whereas the Pirelli’s were constantly hunting for grip and fighting the front end to keep straight.

Looks are very subjective but they’re definitely the most unique looking tire on the market, in a good way.

They’re predictable at the limits.

Again - these are not going to outperform the top tier of summer performance tire but they are a very good fit for someone who wants to get more than 5-10k out of a set of tires and values performance.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, so many people run those tires I would never have thought that in a million years.
Living in South Louisiana we get a lot of rain. I replaced them with Pilot Super Sports before they were even worn out. Never looked back.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Quick note for anyone considering the Indy 500’s.

There probably isn’t a better “all around” tire for these cars, especially at the price point they’re in.

Best way to summarize is this:

Excellent price point

Excellent straight line and cornering grip; but DO NOT expect them to outperform the Michelen’s or Conti’s in overall grip.

Excellent wear. Where the rear Pirelli’s were toast at 10k, at 15k the Indy’s have another 10-15k left. The front should last even longer.

Wheel hop is diminished compared to the Pirelli’s

Ride quality is excellent and these tires are nearly silent

Wet traction and driving is very confident. I’ve driven these through some crap weather and they don’t care. They keep the car straight whereas the Pirelli’s were constantly hunting for grip and fighting the front end to keep straight.

Looks are very subjective but they’re definitely the most unique looking tire on the market, in a good way.

They’re predictable at the limits.

Again - these are not going to outperform the top tier of summer performance tire but they are a very good fit for someone who wants to get more than 5-10k out of a set of tires and values performance.
I can agree with this, I've had them on a previous car. Some may be grossed out by the Firestone brand, but its owned by Bridgestone. In other markets the indy 500 is called the Potenza RE003.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I can agree with this, I've had them on a previous car. Some may be grossed out by the Firestone brand, but its owned by Bridgestone. In other markets the indy 500 is called the Potenza RE003.
They do come in at a mid tier price point, I have been noticing how some people call them a budget tire, I don't call a $300.00 tire a budget tire really, high mid-tier perhaps. That is the price for a 305/35/20. Tire Rack gave them a 9.3 in dry traction which is awesome.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Agreed. Not a Firestone brand pusher but the Indy’s are great. So are their mud terrain tires but that’s for a different forum. Lol.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I had Nitto 555 g2’s before getting extreme contact sports...Night & Day difference!
I could not believe it. I can put power down now and not have a puckered ass when driving in the rain
Highly recommend the continentals!

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have them on my car and love them. Even ran them on a track in the rain and once warmed up they did great. They are tempature sensitive though. Good thing is it doesn't take long for them to warm up.

Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I have them on my car and love them. Even ran them on a track in the rain and once warmed up they did great. They are tempature sensitive though. Good thing is it doesn't take long for them to warm up.
They are awesome tires. They are primarily for dry weather. Once heated up they have lots of grip.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Firestone tires are still researchrd and manufactured here in the U.S. Japan just profits since they bought them out.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
They do come in at a mid tier price point, I have been noticing how some people call them a budget tire, I don't call a $300.00 tire a budget tire really, high mid-tier perhaps. That is the price for a 305/35/20. Tire Rack gave them a 9.3 in dry traction which is awesome.
305/35/20 Indy 500 is $241 per Firestone’s website.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
305/35/20 Indy 500 is $241 per Firestone’s website.
Weird, is Tire Rack price gouging? They have them listed at $293.88 and no availability until December 26th which I just noticed.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Weird, is Tire Rack price gouging? They have them listed at $293.88 and no availability until December 26th which I just noticed.
My 285/35/20 Indy 500s were $29 cheaper per tire at my local Firestone compared to Tire Rack. Keep in mind that Tire Rack gives you a two-year road hazard warranty in their cost + shipping.
Sponsored

Last edited: