Sponsored

Best all around summer tire for the GT - Street / Handling

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ill let you know how the new all season 4 feels compared to the ps4s. Ill have them mounted on Monday.
Awesome. I'm also really looking forward to your review, especially cabin/road noise levels, but also ride and handling, so make sure to hit some twisties hard :). I wanted to replace the _PS4Ss since new, but Michelin didn't play ball, so I'll have to keep them until I wear them out. I'm at 1K miles only, so it'll take a while, unfortunately... but the good news is my wheels can last longer without any damage :D. Thank you.
Sponsored

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
So i just got the car back, initial thoughts on the all season 4 right of the lot, the tire is pretty quiet.

I decided to get on the high way and do a 20 mile loop ( gotta break in the tires), Yea these tires are damn near silent compared to the ps4s which does not surprise me at all.

On my way back I had a thunderstorm hit me, I could not really evaluate wet performance because everyone on i270 /dmv came to a craw (5-20mph). I swear these people see a drop of rain or a snow flake they forget how to drive. It amazes me, that they drive slow in light rain and they still get into accidents in the local lanes. Honestly wasn't that bad both days but all well. Rant over!

Once I officially break the tires in, ill start to push them harder and update you guys. After that ill swap back to my summer wheels with the ps4s on them, and give another update.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
It was actually moving pretty good until the rain. For what ever reason it was like a July 4th weekend worth of traffic when I was coming back from summit point on the 26th. Sometimes I really don’t understand people in the dmv and where the hell these people go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yea these tires are damn near silent compared to the ps4s
Thank you for that report. Happy to hear that. I compared their ratings for noise, and were identical (8.xx)... but they're obviously using a different scale on each category, so you just confirmed they're not comparable at all. Thanks again, and looking forward to hear the handling comparison when you can push them :).

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
How about road noise difference with the PS4Ss? Nobody tests that; only that they're 'acceptable for the segment'. I prefer not to use Michelin again (they refused to replace my brand new tires with A/S3s), so looking for a better alternative in the cabin noise department. Thx.

Same question as above. How about noise differences with PS4Ss? Thx.
I replaced my MP4S with Indy 500's at about 15k miles when I got new wheels. The Michelins had about 40-50% treadlife left. The difference in tire noise was dramatic. Granted there may have been an issue with one of them, but they were so loud I legitimately thought I had bad wheel bearing or differential issue. That started at around 12k miles.

I loved the MPS4 tires otherwise. The Indy 500's are great though. Like I mentioned, dead silent, but they also handle really well. It's hard to directly compare them to my stock tires since I moved to a square setup with bigger tires in the front, but on the road I can't say there's a huge loss in traction or handling, and I would not describe them as overly soft. I may get the MPS4's again next time just to compare them in this size.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I replaced my MP4S with Indy 500's at about 15k miles when I got new wheels. The Michelins had about 40-50% treadlife left. The difference in tire noise was dramatic. Granted there may have been an issue with one of them, but they were so loud I legitimately thought I had bad wheel bearing or differential issue. That started at around 12k miles.

I loved the MPS4 tires otherwise. The Indy 500's are great though. Like I mentioned, dead silent, but they also handle really well. It's hard to directly compare them to my stock tires since I moved to a square setup with bigger tires in the front, but on the road I can't say there's a huge loss in traction or handling, and I would not describe them as overly soft. I may get the MPS4's again next time just to compare them in this size.
I am seriously considering the Indy's, with the uncertainty going on in the employment arena saving $500.00 is a big deal right now.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
It depends on what your use for them is, If you have two sets of wheels then grab a all season and a summer tire. I personally like the ps4s in the summer, but i drive my car year round so i need the all season. If you are only going off of one set id really recommend a uhp all season.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
It depends on what your use for them is, If you have two sets of wheels then grab a all season and a summer tire. I personally like the ps4s in the summer, but i drive my car year round so i need the all season. If you are only going off of one set id really recommend a uhp all season.
I still have high hopes for the new A/S 4's. Waiting on your report back on those. I suspect, if they are even better than the A/S 3's, they will be amazing and more tire than most know what to do with.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I still have high hopes for the new A/S 4's. Waiting on your report back on those. I suspect, if they are even better than the A/S 3's, they will be amazing and more tire than most know what to do with.
Also waiting on the report since I'm also looking at ordering a set!

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Were you really expecting Michelin to change out tires on a car that you bought that came with the tires as OEM? (They aren't brand new if they have been mounted on a wheel, and especially if they have been driven any miles) Did you try to negotiate with the dealer to change them out before buying the car?

Awesome. I'm also really looking forward to your review, especially cabin/road noise levels, but also ride and handling, so make sure to hit some twisties hard :). I wanted to replace the _PS4Ss since new, but Michelin didn't play ball, so I'll have to keep them until I wear them out. I'm at 1K miles only, so it'll take a while, unfortunately... but the good news is my wheels can last longer without any damage :D. Thank you.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Were you really expecting Michelin to change out tires on a car that you bought that came with the tires as OEM?
Not an even exchange, but yes, because there was no UHPA/S alternative. And I tried because somebody else (a woman) did it successfully with another US Bullitt. Don't remember the credit amount, but she paid like $300 extra total (A/S3s are cheaper). Michelin claimed the deal wasn't done, so no need to check with that employee. Tires had a few dozen miles only, so brand new. The lady's tires had like a lot more (like 500). Not a huge deal, but I'll probably buy other brands from now on. Not just because they didn't do it, but because the way I was treated.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Not an even exchange, but yes, because there was no UHPA/S alternative. And I tried because somebody else (a woman) did it successfully with another US Bullitt. Don't remember the credit amount, but she paid like $300 extra total (A/S3s are cheaper). Michelin claimed the deal wasn't done, so no need to check with that employee. Tires had a few dozen miles only, so brand new. The lady's tires had like a lot more (like 500). Not a huge deal, but I'll probably buy other brands from now on. Not just because they didn't do it, but because the way I was treated.
It seems silly to expect them to swap them out and give you any sort of credit, the car was built that way with the tires factored in to the price. I'm sure you can request to change the tires from the dealer, but expect to pay the cost of the tires and installation. You shouldn't expect to get any credit for the tires that are taken off, but they are yours to sell on your own. Not sure why you would fault Michelin for this and stay away from them.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
So even if Michelin happens to be producing the best tires, you would rather go with something inferior to make a point to yourself....because you are not affecting Michelin at all...come on let's be real. The tires were used...period...and if I remember right, your car had some test drive miles. If the lady did indeed get some kind of deal, it most likely was with the dealership and not Michelin themselves. Did you attempt to get other parts changed out by the manufacturer because you didn't like them...brake pads, tranny, you name it.

Sponsored