N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I think this has been the best and most helpful “10 hp loss” thread I’ve seen yet
But FORD already explained it months ago. Also, most threads end up as I said. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
But FORD already explained it months ago. Also, most threads end up as I said. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Ford failed to explain it to my satisfaction nor obviously to the satisfaction of many other 2022 owners. Without knowing details it isn’t possible to reverse it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ford failed to explain it to my satisfaction
Nor did anybody else here. You need to rent a dyno, and see for yourself on the before/after. Then it'll be to 'your satisfaction'.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
While I think the guy doing the video is trying to be straight up, I’m not buying the 18 WHP difference. First of all, he hasn’t controlled all the variables between the two different dyno runs. Im not gonna go through them all but it wasn’t really a scientific test. Secondly, there’s no way an 18 hp difference exists between the cars, at least attributable to the filter. If Ford had minimized the 18 hp difference (more like 20 net crank hp) down to 10 hp and people bought cars based on that, the lawsuits would be flying. You might not feel 10 but you could sure feel 20. Ford is obligated to get it right.
the numbers are close enough to warrant belief that yes it makes a difference and is the reason for the 10 HP decrease. you are getting to literal here.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Driven over 100 miles so far with no problems. But I do question if this "mod" has any negative effects.
Not on a GT as the "trap" is before the MAF sensor.

On the Mach 1 the tube with the "trap" reduces the MAF tube diameter as shown in the second video. So with the Mach you have to remove the trap and then reinstall the insert or get a tune for the insert being gone.

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Driven over 100 miles so far with no problems. But I do question if this "mod" has any negative effects.
I have over 300 miles since completely replacing the stock air tube with a 20 gt350 tube. No problems at all.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I wonder if this carbon trap removal would have the same effect on earlier S550's? Assuming that this part exists in the earlier air intake pathway...

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I wonder if this carbon trap removal would have the same effect on earlier S550's? Assuming that this part exists in the earlier air intake pathway...
I‘m certainly no authority and hopefully someone will come along soon who actually knows what they’re talking about. But from what I’ve seen the trap isn’t big enough on previous years to make any real difference.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes they did (post 117) and no they don‘t. This was a topic years ago that died because it was found the difference was meaningless.

steathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 California Special
I have a 2022 GT, I purchased a 2021 complete stock intake tract using the rubber tube from the throttle body to the maf tube and the air box. The difference in the two intake tracts is the carbon filter completely covers the inlet on the 2022 air box lid and there is an air straightner inside the tube before the maf sensor. The maf tube diameter is the same between the two assemblies, everything else is identical. The 2021 has the small carbon filter built into the airbox lid but is not a restriction to the airflow.

Sponsored

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
I have a 2022 GT, I purchased a 2021 complete stock intake tract using the rubber tube from the throttle body to the maf tube and the air box. The difference in the two intake tracts is the carbon filter completely covers the inlet on the 2022 air box lid and there is an air straightner inside the tube before the maf sensor. The maf tube diameter is the same between the two assemblies, everything else is identical. The 2021 has the small carbon filter built into the airbox lid but is not a restriction to the airflow.
When you say the MAF tube diameters are the same between the '22 and '21, did you actually measure the inside diameter? I am curious due to the insert (airflow straightener). A few millimeters between the two can throw off the MAF readings against the calibration.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I drove mine 2 days in a row for a combined total of about 250 miles and no issues at all since removing the carbon filter and ripping out the framework that held it. I did leave the air straightener alone however. I matted the throttle a couple times and it felt about the same, no hiccups or wierd issues at all.
Sponsored