Sponsored

10 speed auto appreciation thread

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
So I did a 360 mile trip yesterday to pickup my son.
Left it in Normal mode with shifter in S the whole time. The ride was great but what really annoyed me was when I’d pass and then have to brake to get back in, the car just downshifts way too aggressively. It’s just not needed!
also if you gas it too much it downshifts and holds onto gears way too long.
Sport+ doesn’t even act this aggressive.
What gives??
Will a tune fix this?
You know I don’t have an a10 but I’m really thinking hard about a tune from wengerd performance. I don’t really want to mess with the warranty but the desire for long tubes is really strong and I would need a tune with those. The reviews from m6g members that have worked with him are really strong.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Will a tune fix this?
Yes a tune "can" fix this, anything can be programmed to how you like it.

However it will take a lot of back and forth tuning and adjusting to get it to where you like. I don't know of any aftermarket tuners that completely re-work the up/downshift tables to your liking over and over and over again.

Sounds like you should be using the paddles more and controlling when the unit shifts. What you're describing is very much what's expected out of a car driven on the track, so I don't think the Ford calibrators got it wrong...it's just not the mode for you on the street. That or leave it in D, it will drive just fine even agressively.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Yes a tune "can" fix this, anything can be programmed to how you like it.

However it will take a lot of back and forth tuning and adjusting to get it to where you like. I don't know of any aftermarket tuners that completely re-work the up/downshift tables to your liking over and over and over again.

Sounds like you should be using the paddles more and controlling when the unit shifts. What you're describing is very much what's expected out of a car driven on the track, so I don't think the Ford calibrators got it wrong...it's just not the mode for you on the street. That or leave it in D, it will drive just fine even agressively.
Yeah, I’d never expect a tuner to work with me to make a custom map for each mode, just thought I’ve heard that after market tunes make the A10 better.
Not sure I agree with you on Normal drive mode having such aggressive down shifting . Isn’t that what Track mode is for or even Sport+ mode.
Normal D , shifts too quickly into 10th at low speeds which makes hitting the gas slightly a chore for accelerating a little.
Normal Sport should just make the throttle a little more responsive, keep it at 8 gears instead of 10 when driving around on streets under 50mph
No need to almost skid the tires with such aggressive downshifts when normal breaking.
the more I think About it, it’s seems plain dumb!

Last edited:

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I’d never expect a tuner to work with me to make a custom map for each mode, just thought I’ve heard that after market times make the A10 better.
Not sure I agree with you on Normal drive mode having such aggressive down shifting . Isn’t that what Track mode is for or even Sport+ mode.
Normal D , shifts too quickly into 10th at low speeds which makes hitting the gas slightly a chore for accelerating a little.
Normal Sport should just make the throttle a little more responsive, keep it at 8 gears instead of 10 when driving around on streets under 50mph
No need to almost skid the tires with such aggressive downshifts when normal breaking.
the more I think About it, it’s seems plain dumb!
I would ask daryle @Wengerd Performance what his experience is with a10’s. I sent him a message with a link to this thread. I seem to remember reading similar complaints in a tuning thread and he fixed other tuners issues with violent downshifts. I’m heavily considering having him send me a tune next year for my car.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I would ask daryle @Wengerd Performance what his experience is with a10’s. I sent him a message with a link to this thread. I seem to remember reading similar complaints in a tuning thread and he fixed other tuners issues with violent downshifts. I’m heavily considering having him send me a tune next year for my car.
Thanks Atlas,
I was looking at their website as I’ve never heard of Wengerd Performance.
No Mach 1 tune yet.
How do you know about them? Been around a long time?

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Atlas,
I was looking at their website as I’ve never heard of Wengerd Performance.
No Mach 1 tune yet.
How do you know about them? Been around a long time?
Only heard about them on this forum. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about tuners anticipating needing one next year when I do headers. It’s something that honestly scares the shit out of me because of a bad experience I had with a gm tuner years ago. I would rather not give up my warranty but with headers I’m ok as long as I get the type of tune I’m looking for. I want safety and reliability over some dyno number that feeds my ego. I can’t find a bad review of wengerd. Full disclosure I have not had him tune my car so I wouldn’t just order a tune tonight lol but I think he’s definitely worth looking into if you are going to go down that road.
here’s a Mach 1 he did. Every time I watch this video I get the urge to order kooks headers!

Blown Mach 1

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Atlas1, what's driving the need/desire for headers? Are you planning on adding a supercharger?
You will likely end up with a loud exhaust, no doubt Hi Flow cats are part of the process as well, = even louder.
That factory Mach 1 exhaust note will be long gone.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas1, what's driving the need/desire for headers? Are you planning on adding a supercharger?
You will likely end up with a loud exhaust, no doubt Hi Flow cats are part of the process as well, = even louder.
That factory Mach 1 exhaust note will be long gone.
Definitely not a need! I love the factory sound of the Mach 1 but I would enjoy it turned up. I would leave the oem mufflers and tips as I like the tone and the look of it all. I think my hearing is just not very good as inside the car it doesn’t seem all that loud. One of my previous mustangs I did headers and it sounded really good. It wasn’t until I messed with the mufflers and took the cats off that it became too loud and obnoxious most of the time. The nice thing about headers on this car is it’s not a permanent mod if I get tired of it. I probably won’t end up doing a supercharger on this one.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely not a need! I love the factory sound of the Mach 1 but I would enjoy it turned up. I would leave the oem mufflers and tips as I like the tone and the look of it all. I think my hearing is just not very good as inside the car it doesn’t seem all that loud. One of my previous mustangs I did headers and it sounded really good. It wasn’t until I messed with the mufflers and took the cats off that it became too loud and obnoxious most of the time. The nice thing about headers on this car is it’s not a permanent mod if I get tired of it. I probably won’t end up doing a supercharger on this one.
H-pipe is definitely a bump in volume. Have you done that yet?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
the more I think About it, it’s seems plain dumb
You may have the different modes confused. Shifter in D and Normal mode doesn't have aggressive downshifts at all. And yes it gets to 10 quickly, but it will downshift quickly into a lower gear if you want to drive aggressively or pass someone.

Normal sport is aggressive downshifts sure, but it should not be skidding the tires. I drive with that on track and in no way is it that aggressive. You may have some issues going on either with your ABS or tires if that's the case.

As I mention again, it sounds like you should be using the paddles more to get exactly what you want out of the transmission. That's why they put them there and they work really well especially when tuned. Keep it in D when driving around, switch to sport or sport + and paddles when you wanna mess around.

Sponsored

ShapeShifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I had a blue Mach 1 with a Tremec on order. There was no way I would do anything other than manual on this car. But facing the possibility of an order cancellation and seeing the orange HP auto that came up for grabs, I pondered it and, as my avatar suggests, went for it. I will say...:

NO REGRETS!

First off, I live in Houston and daily this car, so I knew the auto would have some benefits. I was previously determined to deal with Houston traffic in a manual, but that didn't mean I was going to enjoy it. The auto is obviously a benefit here.

But it's better than just that. I continue to be impressed with how this transmission shifts. It is firm and quick, and almost always selects the right gear (in Sport+ mode... see below). I find myself having a blast driving this auto. In a way, it actually allows me to focus more on driving, which is ironically what everyone (including me) always says about manual.

But it ain't all sunshine and roses. I have to be honest and point out some issues I've had and some ways to get around them. For me, these issues are minor. Your preferences may dictate otherwise.

The above glowing review is based on Sport+ mode. In this mode, the shifts and shift logic pair incredibly well with my personal driving style, even when I'm driving easy. But every once in awhile, if I behave differently than I normally do, it suffers from a bit of gear hunting. I find this to be the exception and not the norm. I also get the impression that more time spent behind the wheel will allow me to understand when and why it does this and avoid it altogether. Time will tell.

Normal mode on "D" is no-good for anything other than a groggy drive to work while sipping on coffee. It hesitates too much for moderately spirited maneuvers, causing you to over-do it. If you want to pass someone quickly but without breaking the speed barrier, it refuses to down shift until your foot is a little too far into the throttle. When it finally shifts, in combination with more throttle than needed, the car rockets away faster than intended. Had it shifted sooner, throttle input would have been more moderate, giving you the intended level of acceleration. Your choices wind up being too little or too much acceleration for the task at hand.

But there is a cure. Tap the downshift paddle two or three times immediately before you need to provide the throttle input. You may now provide a moderate level of throttle and receive a moderate level of acceleration as intended. And since the shift selector is in "D", the car automatically goes back to auo-shitfing if you leave the paddles alone for a few seconds. Or drop it to "S" momentarily and stick it back to "D" when complete.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Prior to owning this car I had a 2011 Mustang with a V6 and 6 speed auto. I loved that car and transmission. There was no driving modes but there was a button on the shifter that was labelled "Hill Assist". That button did exactly what putting my current car into "S" does, hold the car in each gear longer and not upshift every time you take your foot off the gas. It was only useful for going down a long hill and not needing to ride the brakes all the way down.

So now I have a 2019 with the A10 and this is what the owners manual says about the "S" position. So pretty much the same thing only now it's called sport mode.

Sport.jpg

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
No. I guess I should try that.
See if you can get one from Steeda on Black Friday sale.
I think it may be the sweet spot for you.
Easy install, I did it myself with Jack stands and a M12 sawzaw