murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I believe the confusing statement of yours is this:
If it didnt have a full manual mode and the ability to lock the torque converter to make it feel like a manual car, i'd have never considered it.
As it suggested that you (as a driver) could control when the torque converter locks. While the locking converters are just a feature of the trans and they engage when they are programmed to (as the article you linked explains). The one in 10R80 apparently just locks more than some others.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm a manual guy and guess what? I don't car if you like the auto or manual better. Drive what you want. But I will say this, a manual is the best security feature you can get in a car now days. Alarms, anti-theft devices, GPS tracking, vin etching, steering wheel locks, etc., etc. None of those hold a candle to a old fashion 6 speed against the modern day car thief.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a manual guy and guess what? I don't car if you like the auto or manual better. Drive what you want. But I will say this, a manual is the best security feature you can get in a car now days. Alarms, anti-theft devices, GPS tracking, vin etching, steering wheel locks, etc., etc. None of those hold a candle to a old fashion 6 speed against the modern day car thief.
yep...have the same theft deterrent in mine :crackup:

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
You dirty little driver. Next you will say you drive more than one brand of car
I have driven Dodge, International Harvester, Toyota, Chevy, Subaru, and Dodge again; not including work vehicles. Then I got a Ford F250 to replace the Dodge. Next was my first Ford Mustang. Then a Ford Edge to replace the Subaru, and finally a 19 Mustang GT PP2 to replace the 13 Mustang Brembo pkg with an auto. I'm committed to a long term relationship.

sycd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
I really wanted to like it, but I dislike the A10 software calibration so much that I’m considering voiding my warranty to fix it with a 3rd party tune.

It's smooth in D but that mode up shifts too aggressively. It’s too harsh in s and s+, shifts are faster but kick you you in the back, not good drivability. Rev matching sucks and doesn’t exist in lower gears. Manual shifting mode is clunky when coming to a stop.

It's night and day compared to autos in European brand performance cars I’ve had over the years, even the non DCT ones.

It disappoints me that ford does such a poor job with their stock calibration. We shouldn’t have to get a 3rd party or ford perf tune to make it work correctly.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I really enjoy my A10. I daily mind so stop and go traffic is an eventuality. I'm good with just letting the car make decisions for awhile and slip into sport mode when I want to get aggressive.

There will always be adimosity against autos. IMO I've rowed enough gears, rather enjoy the car all the time than resent my decision some of the time.
First it’s your car and your choice and I would certainly not want to dd a stick in city traffic
But, manual do offer a driving pleasure and rewards than a automatic can’t match…
I have both automatic and stick, each one have its purpose
Having a automatic on a sport car that is a toy and not a dd make no senses to ME
That say I don’t get a lot of things, one being why people ride Harley…
Whatever float your boat and make you happy is all that matters

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I have a 2019 GT with about 15,000 kms on it and I am just now starting to like the A10. When new it was the roughest shifting transmission I have ever owned. Driving in any mode other than "D" the downshifts were so rough it was ridiculous. If anyone asked me how I liked the car all I did was bitch about the stupid transmission. Now a year and a half old with 15,000 kms it has started to shift smoothly and I can drive it in S+ without cursing the thing all day. I do not know if this has anything to do with the adaptive shifting or it just took that long for everything to get seated properly inside. But now I do think it's ok.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted to like it, but I dislike the A10 software calibration so much that I’m considering voiding my warranty to fix it with a 3rd party tune.

It's smooth in D but that mode up shifts too aggressively. It’s too harsh in s and s+, shifts are faster but kick you you in the back, not good drivability. Rev matching sucks and doesn’t exist in lower gears. Manual shifting mode is clunky when coming to a stop.

It's night and day compared to autos in European brand performance cars I’ve had over the years, even the non DCT ones.

It disappoints me that ford does such a poor job with their stock calibration. We shouldn’t have to get a 3rd party or ford perf tune to make it work correctly.
I felt the same as you at times for the first 6 mos of ownership but I can honestly say it’s gotten better or I’ve learned to adapt 6000 miles later.
I think I will do a tune eventually, hopefully FOrd Performance.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I have a 2019 GT with about 15,000 kms on it and I am just now starting to like the A10. When new it was the roughest shifting transmission I have ever owned. Driving in any mode other than "D" the downshifts were so rough it was ridiculous. If anyone asked me how I liked the car all I did was bitch about the stupid transmission. Now a year and a half old with 15,000 kms it has started to shift smoothly and I can drive it in S+ without cursing the thing all day. I do not know if this has anything to do with the adaptive shifting or it just took that long for everything to get seated properly inside. But now I do think it's ok.
Take it to the dealer to see if you have a bad valve body. I had the same issues in Sport and sport + from 2-3 and 4-5. After it was changed out I had no issues and it was extremely smooth in all modes.

sycd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
I felt the same as you at times for the first 6 mos of ownership but I can honestly say it’s gotten better or I’ve learned to adapt 6000 miles later.
I think I will do a tune eventually, hopefully FOrd Performance.
That's good to know, 6000 miles here, but only the last 500 miles were mine.

It seems a couple of you mention things getting better over time, but after a long time. Would the transmission learning take that long? Or would some of the transmissions take that long to break-in?

With the difference this guy reports on his A10 from just a tune, and improvements others reported with the ford perf tune, I'm leaning toward a software issue:

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Take it to the dealer to see if you have a bad valve body. I had the same issues in Sport and sport + from 2-3 and 4-5. After it was changed out I had no issues and it was extremely smooth in all modes.
Thanks but I don't know if they'd find anything. As I mentioned it's shifting pretty nicely now, it just took forever before it did that.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So I did a 360 mile trip yesterday to pickup my son.
Left it in Normal mode with shifter in S the whole time. The ride was great but what really annoyed me was when I’d pass and then have to brake to get back in, the car just downshifts way too aggressively. It’s just not needed!
also if you gas it too much it downshifts and holds onto gears way too long.
Sport+ doesn’t even act this aggressive.
What gives??
Will a tune fix this?
Sponsored