Sponsored

10.2" Horizontal display Android 4.4.2 touch screen radio

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On mine (the older 2Gig model) the temp is in Celsius and from the car sensor. It looks like the newer model is from the net and doesn't show at all unless wifi is connected. There could be a difference in the widget and the status bar due to data source or even refresh interval.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
On mine (the older 2Gig model) the temp is in Celsius and from the car sensor. It looks like the newer model is from the net and doesn't show at all unless wifi is connected. There could be a difference in the widget and the status bar due to data source or even refresh interval.
That's weird, because I personally would want it to read from the cars original sensor on that top task bar. To me it seems to be nicer to have factory functions first, then add your own widgets to the main screen later. I have a sneaky suspicion that temp reading is in fact from the cars sensor, but it sometimes takes a long time for it to update. I know on my stock radio, when I drive through an area where I know their is a temp inversion, it should change, but takes a minute or two to update.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. I would try it out by driving around one day without any hotspot enabled. I typically don't use wifi except from the garage to run an update or something.

That's weird, because I personally would want it to read from the cars original sensor on that top task bar. To me it seems to be nicer to have factory functions first, then add your own widgets to the main screen later. I have a sneaky suspicion that temp reading is in fact from the cars sensor, but it sometimes takes a long time for it to update. I know on my stock radio, when I drive through an area where I know their is a temp inversion, it should change, but takes a minute or two to update.

Odox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
It's 35C in Chicago? That's 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wait, randy_tho says it's from the cars onboard temp sensor.

Odox says it's from some default weather app that needs wi-fi.

The 35 deg reading is different from the 34 deg weather widget below it on the screen.

Which is it? Is it from the internet, or from the onboard outside air temp sensor?
Hmm I didn't notice that, the temp in that photo is in F it was unusually cold that night. I would assume that it is from the app that i'm talking about. I have driven the car for 3 hours at a time and never seen the cars temp sensor reading pull-up on or off of WiFi :(

Think Seicane is full of it when talking about any updates to this model, might just have an update to the OS. I noticed that in other users videos they are demonstrating Netflix, on this OS it is "unsupported" by both Google Store application and from Netflix.com (suggested application by OS). This tells me that it might indeed be different in that way which isn't a good thing... Still better than the tiny Base system!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hmm I didn't notice that, the temp in that photo is in F it was unusually cold that night. I would assume that it is from the app that i'm talking about. I have driven the car for 3 hours at a time and never seen the cars temp sensor reading pull-up on or off of WiFi :(

Think Seicane is full of it when talking about any updates to this model, might just have an update to the OS. I noticed that in other users videos they are demonstrating Netflix, on this OS it is "unsupported" by both Google Store application and from Netflix.com (suggested application by OS). This tells me that it might indeed be different in that way which isn't a good thing... Still better than the tiny Base system!
I might of had to sideload netflix I dont remember though.

Is your google maps slow to respond? on mine I can use google maps but its ALMOST to slow to be usuable.

Sponsored

Odox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I might of had to sideload netflix I dont remember though.

Is your google maps slow to respond? on mine I can use google maps but its ALMOST to slow to be usuable.
I usually use Maps when in Apple Carplay but i'll test it out.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used here maps multiple times but I still like to use nav from my phone most of the time.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Currently have 2016 ecoboost with base sync 4" screen unit and don't own a smart / android phone.

If I understand correctly this unit has built in nav that doesn't need a phone connected to it, is this correct?

I want to play mp3 songs and mp4 videos from a usb stick, do I need to order something extra so I can get my stick to work?

If I don't have a smart / android phone connected to the unit, what features will I be missing?

Thanks
Terry

Odox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Currently have 2016 ecoboost with base sync 4" screen unit and don't own a smart / android phone.

If I understand correctly this unit has built in nav that doesn't need a phone connected to it, is this correct?

I want to play mp3 songs and mp4 videos from a usb stick, do I need to order something extra so I can get my stick to work?

If I don't have a smart / android phone connected to the unit, what features will I be missing?

Thanks
Terry
You can use the built in GPS on the unit without WiFi or a smartphone. You should be able to access the media stick by plugging it into the USB port. The missing features would be any applications that use a WiFi connection to perform functions etc.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Would this unit work in a 2019?

Sponsored

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have an update and not a good one...

Two weeks ago we had a hot-ish day, high 80's. That doesn't sound hot but inside my car was probably close to 100 degrees while it was sitting outside. When I went to start my car, the screen came on as normal and then a few seconds later it went completely black for about 2 seconds then came back on. It did this about 3 times within the first 4 minutes and then the screen stayed on and functioned as normal.

It did not happen again so I thought it may have just been a weird glitch, until yesterday that is. We had another hot-ish day and my car was parked outside. I turned it on and everything was functioning normally for the first 2-3 minutes and then the screen went completely black. I had music playing at the time and it continued to play even when the screen stopped working. This time though, the screen did not come back on. I put the car in my garage to let it cool down in the interior and waited a few hours. It did not help, the screen no longer functions. I tried to push the reset button, nothing.

Really sucks. Up until now it was a really nice upgrade.

Looks like I will be saving up for a sync 3 swap.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is another reason I'm very nervous about an upgrade. Those Chinese units aren't exactly name brand with a known reliability record to give that warm fuzzy feeling. I may just stick with the factory radio. If I do an upgrade, I may just consider a Synch 3, or maybe a Scosche unit with a quality Sony, or Pioneer stereo.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have an update and not a good one...

Two weeks ago we had a hot-ish day, high 80's. That doesn't sound hot but inside my car was probably close to 100 degrees while it was sitting outside. When I went to start my car, the screen came on as normal and then a few seconds later it went completely black for about 2 seconds then came back on. It did this about 3 times within the first 4 minutes and then the screen stayed on and functioned as normal.

It did not happen again so I thought it may have just been a weird glitch, until yesterday that is. We had another hot-ish day and my car was parked outside. I turned it on and everything was functioning normally for the first 2-3 minutes and then the screen went completely black. I had music playing at the time and it continued to play even when the screen stopped working. This time though, the screen did not come back on. I put the car in my garage to let it cool down in the interior and waited a few hours. It did not help, the screen no longer functions. I tried to push the reset button, nothing.

Really sucks. Up until now it was a really nice upgrade.

Looks like I will be saving up for a sync 3 swap.
Did you check the connections? I have used mine in 100 degree heat on the track maybe something is just loose (hoping)

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Did you check the connections? I have used mine in 100 degree heat on the track maybe something is just loose (hoping)
I haven't had the time to check yet to be honest. I hope it is something stupid like that.

It is just really suspect because the common denominator for both times was heat.
Sponsored