Sponsored

10.2" Android (generic from China)

akirasan88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX7 / S2000 / 2012 mustang
Correct, anything you can do on a android phone / tablet you can do on these type of head units. netflix/gps / torque / custom overlays that are better suited for driving / Pokemon Go! (lol), just about anything you can think of.

So any gps that is on android can be used by this head unit, and google maps data can be downloaded (just google it ) so it can be used off line, however these units are best used with data from phone, or a usb 3g/4g adapter.
Sponsored

poorfortune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
'16 Base GTPP - Deep Impact Blue
[MENTION=25112]Qam[/MENTION]

After having this installed in your car for a while, what are your impressions? Just wondering if you're still loving this, or have any regrets?

Thanks.

OP
OP

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
Update

My general impression of this unit after having it for nearly 6 months is it was designed to be a navigation unit which happens to run on android so it does just about everything else you can think of. If your primary interest is a navigation unit and a huge backup camera screen then this unit is fantastic. If you're wanting to use this unit as the audio source for a high-end sound system then it just doesn't provide a clean enough source. It might be in my head but it does seem like the audio quality is worse when it's hot and better in colder weather. One time during the hottest part of summer I left my car in an airport parking lot for several days and when I picked it up there was no audio, but after turning it off and back on it was working again. The AM/FM receiver, which I never use since I stream all my music, is not good but I can't guarantee it's not an installation related issue. Personally my only regret is the sound quality. It's not terrible, but I am an audio geek and want to best of the best.

Also - although it does have bluetooth support I had trouble with it early only and just stopped using it. The factory unit's bluetooth was much better.

To sum up - if you're looking for a navigation system this is a great unit. If you have a wi-fi hotspot and want what basically is an android tablet in your dash but don't require high end sound this is a great unit. It looks great in the dash.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
My general impression of this unit after having it for nearly 6 months is it was designed to be a navigation unit which happens to run on android so it does just about everything else you can think of. If your primary interest is a navigation unit and a huge backup camera screen then this unit is fantastic. If you're wanting to use this unit as the audio source for a high-end sound system then it just doesn't provide a clean enough source. It might be in my head but it does seem like the audio quality is worse when it's hot and better in colder weather. One time during the hottest part of summer I left my car in an airport parking lot for several days and when I picked it up there was no audio, but after turning it off and back on it was working again. The AM/FM receiver, which I never use since I stream all my music, is not good but I can't guarantee it's not an installation related issue. Personally my only regret is the sound quality. It's not terrible, but I am an audio geek and want to best of the best.

Also - although it does have bluetooth support I had trouble with it early only and just stopped using it. The factory unit's bluetooth was much better.

To sum up - if you're looking for a navigation system this is a great unit. If you have a wi-fi hotspot and want what basically is an android tablet in your dash but don't require high end sound this is a great unit. It looks great in the dash.
how is the system holding up after some more time?

Sponsored

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Well, since this is back from the dead anyway.... does this have XM/Sirius support?

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Sync 2 is bad. If you can be patient, Google is supposed to release a different version of Android Auto this year that doesn't require a new head unit. It will run from any phone or a tablet that runs Android 5.0 or greater.
I'm working on a custom unit myself and trust me there's many work around to make AA work on "ANY" android device. (Doesn't matter if Google Play said it doesn't and won't let you do it). It does work. There's just some tweak to do around. I'm about to finish my prototype and I will open a new thread for it. However to give a quick idea of it you can check my videos here. (What you're about to see is totally realizable on that Chinese 10.2" unit). I've been an Android dev for over 10yrs and Android is the best way to go for your car! My prototype doesn't need any special wiring and will work with Sync voice activation features!

[ame]

[ame]

PS: Sorry for the quality it's kinda blurry and shaky. It's not easy to take a video when the car is moving.

PS #2: Here's my devices:

Nexus 7 (2012 WiFi Only) Custom Rom running 7.1.1 & Custom Kernel with overclocked CPU/GPU
Nexus 6P with Stock 7.1.1 and full Pixel Mods

Yup it works with the latest Android version!
Sponsored