Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Im not sure if anyone actually cares so ill be brief unless some one asks

Costs
10.2(Horizontal) Ebay 472
10.4(Tesla Gen 2) GB 610

Install
Telsa Gen 2 is easier to install its an all in one unit, It doesnt use any stock components so the hardest part is getting off the trim.

10.2*Has a brain and a screen as well as a small unit for the canbus. It also reuses the stock board for the AC and stuff. You have to remove the volume and tuner buttons from the board. They include a soldering iron for that but its 220 volt so its useless. You will most likely end up just cutting the peices off so there is no going back unless you find another board.

Support
These units have no real support, if it doesnt do what you want out of the box it probably never will. Some get update periodically I dont know where they come from though lol

Software
I bricked my Tesla unit. Neither unit appears to have access to recovery so making any real changes to them via root or modding is extremely dangerous. This may change

The tesla unit has a skinned interface, where the 10.2 is more of a stock android.

Tesla was 4.4.4 (I think there is a 5.x update) the 10.2 is 6. The software on the 10.2 is much more mature. If you switch to english there is almost no chinese. Additionally the Tesla has random issue with some apps because of the way they implement the aspect ratio / dpi.

On the Tesla unit if you want to the radio you have to use the stock apps, if you switch to non stock app like waze the radio stops. No a big deal but annoying

The 10.2 boots faster 20 seconds vs 40. While booting on the 10.2 unit you will get the last radio station you have on and will have volume control, you will not be able to change stations. 10.2 Can be set to stay on after the car is turned off for a duration of time. The screen will stay off but the unit will stay in the back ground a nice touch. I didnt see this on the tesla.

Tesla unit had a setting for screen brightness but on my unit I didnt do anything. 10.2 has your normal slider for brightness

Bluetooth
Both units have a skinned implementation of Bluetooth
Tesla unit will only pair with a phone, you can play music from your phone in the skinned apps if you move to a non skinned app it will stop. You can not pair a OBD II bluetooth dongle or a GPS.

10.2 will pair with a bluetooth ODB II, and a bluetooh GPS. The problem is the Bluetooth only seems to be active when running torque (comes installed). I can get the bluetooth GPS to work for brief times but its finicky. (the unit has a internal GPS I want to use a external to track my lap times)

Neither has a bluetooth section in the settings. I have no idea why they did this -.-

Hardware
Tesla (mine) has 2G ram 32 GB storage, 10.2 1G/16 (why??)
I believe both basically have the same screen resolution 1024X600.
I am not sure what processor is in each I believe the 10.2 units one is better
Tesla unit has 1 USB, the 10.2 has 2 (I have a usb stick and a 1G HD connected)
IMHO the 10.2 has a much better screen, it also has buttons next to the screen for Volume,Home,Mute, and Ejecting the CD
OH 10.2 has a DVD player that works!! (Who has DVDs?) lol.

Wifi is better on the 10.2 then the tesla(gen 2) though both are bad.

The 10.2 rear view camera is zoomed in for some reason. When I shut it off it looks right for a second. I can see no way to fix this it. I will ask the Tesla guys to pull the APK for the video viewer on the tesla unit. This works fine on the Tesla unit.

Both units have a bunch of camera inputs. I tried the two on the 10.2 and they worked but the quality was bad.. Might of been zoomed.
Performance
YMMV
I found both units performance adequate. To me the 10.2 Unit performs better, My tesla unit in Waze and google maps performed pretty badly, they were functional but barely. I like to have waze running back ground for Cop alerts, tesla unit would unload waze pretty much immediately. I have not tested this with the 10.2 yet.

The 10.2 will play MT2S (bluray) files of a USB stick, never tried it with the tesla.

Summary
IMHO the 10.2 Unit is better then the Tesla. The aspect ratio lends it self better to movies,youtube, and apps in general. The big down side is the lack of memory. It reuses your stock hardware so there is no easy back out. (buying the stock board is 100 to 200 on ebay)

The difference is small so it really depends on what you want to do with it.

I am very hesitant to recommend products that have no support most of these devices are sold through re-sellers at a large mark up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Not sure what version of the Tesla unit you had or if there has been changes. Waze runs buttery smooth on my unit. It runs better than Google navigation I feel. Even that ran smoothly but there appears to be like a few second refresh with the Google maps where the screen stops scrolling (not freezing) then starts again, over and over. I don't know if it's the app gathering the GPS information.

Waze on the other hand runs just as well as it has on my phones and such. Like you said, the only crappy part about that is, if you use the stock launcher you can't listen to other audio with Waze running as the default nav as it appears to kill the other channels of audio. I wasn't running the stock UI so I didn't mind as much but now I am as I wanted to just go back to stock and stop messing with everything heh. I am always toying around with shit which will eventually lead to a bricked device so trying to avoid that.

The problem with these devices seem to be they use cheap components and I doubt they will ever be smooth or flawless. It would be nice if someone took notes of these things and produced a true US model. I'd be willing to pay $1,000 easily for a unit like this if it was solid. (5-10 second boot up, no lag, everything integrated and works together, better WiFi/BT and SUPPORT)

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto

Costs
10.4(Tesla Gen 2) GB 610

Install
Telsa Gen 2 is easier to install its an all in one unit, It doesnt use any stock components so the hardest part is getting off the trim.

10.4 Has a brain and a screen as well as a small unit for the canbus. It also reuses the stock board for the AC and stuff. You have to remove the volume and tuner buttons from the board. They include a soldering iron for that but its 220 volt so its useless. You will most likely end up just cutting the peices off so there is no going back unless you find another board.

Support
These units have no real support, if it doesnt do what you want out of the box it probably never will

Software
I bricked my Tesla unit. Neither unit appears to have access to recovery so making any real changes to them via root or modding is extremely dangerous. This may change

The tesla unit has a skinned interface, where the 10.2 is more of a stock android.

Tesla was 4.4.4 (I think there is a 5.x update) the 10.2 is 6. The software on the 10.2 is much more mature. If you switch to english there is almost no chinese. Additionally the Tesla has random issue with some apps because of the way they implement the aspect ratio / dpi.

On the Tesla unit if you want to the radio you have to use the stock apps, if you switch to non stock app like waze the radio stops. No a big deal but annoying

The 10.2 boots faster 20 seconds vs 40. While booting on the 10.2 unit you will get the last radio station you have on and will have volume control, you will not be able to change stations. 10.2 Can be set to stay on after the car is turned off for a duration of time. The screen will stay off but the unit will stay in the back ground a nice touch. I didnt see this on the tesla.

Tesla unit had a setting for screen brightness but on my unit I didnt do anything. 10.2 has your normal slider for brightness

Bluetooth
Both units have a skinned implementation of Bluetooth
Tesla unit will only pair with a phone, you can play music from your phone in the skinned apps if you move to a non skinned app it will stop. You can not pair a OBD II bluetooth dongle or a GPS.

10.2 will pair with a bluetooth ODB II, and a bluetooh GPS. The problem is the Bluetooth only seems to be active when running torque (comes installed). I can get the bluetooth GPS to work for brief times but its finicky.

Neither has a bluetooth section in the settings. I have no idea why they did this -.-

Hardware
Tesla (mine) has 2G ram 32 GB storage, 10.2 1G/16 (why??)
I believe both basically have the same screen resolution 1024X600.
I am not sure what processor is in each I believe the 10.2 units one is better
Tesla unit has 1 USB, the 10.2 has 2 (I have a usb stick and a 1G HD connected)
IMHO the 10.2 has a much better screen, it also has buttons next to the screen for Volume,Home,Mute, and Ejecting the CD
OH 10.2 has a DVD player that works!! (Who has DVDs?) lol.

Wifi is better on the 10.2 then the tesla(gen 2) though both are bad.

The 10.2 rear view camera is zoomed in for some reason. When I shut it off it looks right for a second. I can see no way to fix this it. I will ask the Tesla guys to pull the APK for the video viewer on the tesla unit. This works fine on the Tesla unit.

Both units have a bunch of camera inputs. I tried the two on the 10.2 and they worked but the quality was bad.. Might of been zoomed.
Performance
YMMV
I found both units performance adequate. To me the 10.2 Unit performs better, My tesla unit in Waze and google maps performed pretty badly, they were functional but barely. I like to have waze running back ground for Cop alerts, tesla unit would unload waze pretty much immediately. I have not tested this with the 10.2 yet.

The 10.2 will play MT2S (bluray) files of a USB stick, never tried it with the tesla.

Summary
IMHO the 10.2 Unit is better then the Tesla. The aspect ratio lends it self better to movies,youtube, and apps in general. The big down side is the lack of memory. It reuses your stock hardware so there is no easy back out.

The difference is small so it really depends on what you want to do with it.

I am very hesitant to recommend products that have no support most of these devices are sold through re-sellers at a large mark up.
thanks for the info! what exactly is a blutooth GPS? doesnt the unit come with an internal or plug in GPS?

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White

Costs
10.4(Tesla Gen 2) GB 610

10.4 Has a brain and a screen as well as a small unit for the canbus. It also reuses the stock board for the AC and stuff. You have to remove the volume and tuner buttons from the board. They include a soldering iron for that but its 220 volt so its useless. You will most likely end up just cutting the peices off so there is no going back unless you find another board.

I think you meant 10.2 here, not 10.4

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Not sure what version of the Tesla unit you had or if there has been changes. Waze runs buttery smooth on my unit. It runs better than Google navigation I feel. Even that ran smoothly but there appears to be like a few second refresh with the Google maps where the screen stops scrolling (not freezing) then starts again, over and over. I don't know if it's the app gathering the GPS information.

Waze on the other hand runs just as well as it has on my phones and such. Like you said, the only crappy part about that is, if you use the stock launcher you can't listen to other audio with Waze running as the default nav as it appears to kill the other channels of audio. I wasn't running the stock UI so I didn't mind as much but now I am as I wanted to just go back to stock and stop messing with everything heh. I am always toying around with shit which will eventually lead to a bricked device so trying to avoid that.

The problem with these devices seem to be they use cheap components and I doubt they will ever be smooth or flawless. It would be nice if someone took notes of these things and produced a true US model. I'd be willing to pay $1,000 easily for a unit like this if it was solid. (5-10 second boot up, no lag, everything integrated and works together, better WiFi/BT and SUPPORT)
Gen 2. Yeah other have said that mine wasnt not sure why. Id pay a 1000 also.

I think you meant 10.2 here, not 10.4
Fixed.

thanks for the info! what exactly is a blutooth GPS? doesnt the unit come with an internal or plug in GPS?
The unit has a internal GPS. I havent really tested, but based on other peoples feed back it works

An external is usually more accurate and updates faster. The one I have updates 10 times a second versus once. You only really need it if you want to do lap times on a track so its not useful or most people.

I can get it to connect for a period of time but I would say it works yet.

Sponsored

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
is there any delay operating the factory climate controls at start up with the 10.2? I wouldn't think so since you transfer the factory controls to the new unit, but i thought i recalled someone saying they had that issue with the 10.4.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
the 10.4 you can turn on and off the AC during boot up so it would be blowing what ever you last had it on but you can't change the thermal controls until it's booted into the unit fully. Same thing when the unit is booting up, back up camera still works.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
is there any delay operating the factory climate controls at start up with the 10.2? I wouldn't think so since you transfer the factory controls to the new unit, but i thought i recalled someone saying they had that issue with the 10.4.
No all the stock controls are there
Sponsored