Sponsored

10.2" Android (generic from China)

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
Hey guys, just thought I'd share since I haven't seen anyone using this unit yet. I just had mine installed today by Juan @ carstereowarehousenc.com they said the installation required removing some soldering from the base unit in my 2016 s550 base gt pp. It came with *ZERO* installation instructions. The vendor I got it from was "ShenZhen Car DVD Player Factory" on aliexpress.com

It has a lot of features but I mainly bought it because it can use wi-fi internet and you can install apps from the google app store (I prefer to use google play for my music). This unit works with the steering wheel controls for everything except the voice recognition (maybe I just don't know how to make it work - it seems to lower the volume when I hit it). The "EQ" app that it comes with is surprisingly simplistic (bass/mid/treble) but I bet I could find a 3rd party app.

It looks SO much nicer looking than the base unit but there is quite a bit of glare on the screen. You can also do silly things like watch youtube, use facebook, just about anything you can do with an android tablet but it does have RCA pre-outs.

Sponsored

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback
Looks good. Huge improvement over the base unit, even with the glare.

DarkHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6 - Magnetic Metallic
Hey guys, just thought I'd share since I haven't seen anyone using this unit yet. I just had mine installed today by Juan @ carstereowarehousenc.com they said the installation required removing some soldering from the base unit in my 2016 s550 base gt pp. It came with *ZERO* installation instructions. The vendor I got it from was "ShenZhen Car DVD Player Factory" on aliexpress.com

It has a lot of features but I mainly bought it because it can use wi-fi internet and you can install apps from the google app store (I prefer to use google play for my music). This unit works with the steering wheel controls for everything except the voice recognition (maybe I just don't know how to make it work - it seems to lower the volume when I hit it). The "EQ" app that it comes with is surprisingly simplistic (bass/mid/treble) but I bet I could find a 3rd party app.

It looks SO much nicer looking than the base unit but there is quite a bit of glare on the screen. You can also do silly things like watch youtube, use facebook, just about anything you can do with an android tablet but it does have RCA pre-outs.

Would you be able to do a video review?

akirasan88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX7 / S2000 / 2012 mustang
Yes please, that would be very nice to have.
* can you use a bluetooth OBD reader to use tourq.

*if you could show the boot time.

*I assume this is like other android head units where you can use 3g / 4g usb dongles?

*What was the price

*Also, would you happen to know what exactly had to be soldered?

*Im guessing it does not interact with for sync?

Looks Great btw, I really like android head units.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
More info

It's not a great video but will give you a general idea.

[ame]

This is the unit I ordered:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1024...32620005104.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.5.dO95hz

mine was $475 shipped, I think the price went up about $15.

I've never ordered from aliexpress.com before, it was a little odd. They requested that I send in pictures of my dash through their online chat system. I think it's similar to ebay for asia maybe someone else knows more.

One of the other reasons I ordered this unit was because it has RCA outputs unlike every other unit I had looked at and I hadn't yet installed my aftermarket amps/speakers but I have to say the base head unit which doesn't have RCA outputs was able to produce a remarkably clean signal for my amps. I had a 2014 mustang with a similar setup and it didn't sound nearly as good especially the subs when running off of factory head unit so keep that in mind when making your decision.

Yes you can get a $20-30 wi-fi obd ii reader which I haven't tried yet.

I didn't do the install myself so I can't comment on what needed soldering.

When you say it won't interact with sync what do you mean exactly? All of the steering controls work except the voice controls I sent the vendor a message about that and he is having his engineer investigate.

I guess my basic opinion of this unit is if you don't have a wi-fi hotspot don't order it. I think you can still do the mirrorlink thing and control your iphone/android on screen but in my limited experience it doesn't fill the entire screen because the dimensions of your phone are different than this. Probably if you're not a tech geek you might want to pass as well because I feel a lot of future tweaking is ahead of me but I like that stuff.

Oh ya - ** NO CD PLAYER ** if you're stuck in the stone ages this unit is not for you :)

akirasan88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the video :)

That's What I figured, sync was likely bypassed (so now your phone is paired to the android head unit and not sync.), and now you have to use "ok google" to use voice commands via android(you can likely use the button mapper to make a voice command button from the head unit, every android head unit I've seen has it.).

$475 seems like a great price for everything you get.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...2766101.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.n6TKvK&s=p

something like that works best for these. especially if you use tmobile, then its only $10 a month and can pretty much use unlimited netflix / pandora / youtube and such.

One last question, Im unsure how hot NC gets around the summer, but have you had any issues with heat? like unit saying its to hot to turn on and such?

Reactions: Qam
OP
OP

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
Dongle

Wow, only $10/mo? That's cheap! Do you have any experience using a calibration mic to set up EQ or even a better EQ app to use? The one it comes with is disappointing.

re: heat - I just got it yesterday so it hasn't gotten really hot yet. I will know by the end of the week I bet

Sponsored

akirasan88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what ive seen on these, they rarely get updated. However, when was the last time you had a oem unit that actually did a substantial update? I'll take perma android 4.4-5.0 any day of the week over sync 2 / 3

and as far as root goes, most are root'able, usually with the auto root tools you can find online.
Sponsored