2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Sub'd
Sponsored

rrobe53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
From what ive seen on these, they rarely get updated. However, when was the last time you had a oem unit that actually did a substantial update? I'll take perma android 4.4-5.0 any day of the week over sync 2 / 3

and as far as root goes, most are root'able, usually with the auto root tools you can find online.
A concern is that while app developers continue to update and drop support, so will your head unit. I believe a unit that does nothing but Android auto or Apple car play is a better approach.

OP
OP

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
I tried to use bluetooth calling and it didn't work. The unit sees my phone and my phone connects to it but I haven't been able to figure out how to make/receive calls.

Also, the phone mirroring thing could work well for some phones but I happen to be using an iphone 6 (not 6s/plus) which will not allow you to have a landscape home screen. The iphone 6 screen vertically on a horizontal android receiver wastes 2/3rds of the screen with black borders.

One other minor annoyance with the unit - notice that you no longer have a volume knob. Yes, there are volume buttons on the unit but they are not lit up, and of course you can use your steering wheel volume which I do now. Minor gripe.

I'm still happy with the unit because it does what I bought it for - playing music from the google play app and it so far has not failed to connect like the stock unit did routinely. The stock unit also forced me to connect my iphone directly to the unit just to get pandora to work (and that was hit or miss).

gundam83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Oxford White
Wonder if this will work with a premium mustang. I hate Sync 2 that much, that I would gladly give up the factory nav for a chinese unit as long as it works well. Let us know if you ever figure out the bluetooth calling, because that's kind of a deal breaker :(

Sponsored

OP
OP

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
I still haven't spent more than 2 hours with this unit, but went for a drive today and the bluetooth calling worked - I received a call, and I was able to make a call but it hasn't managed to import my phone book. I'm also struggling with figuring out how to map the steering wheel buttons. The volume controls work, the phone buttons work but the voice control button takes me to the navigation app. Looks like it will take some time to figure everything out.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
Wonder if this will work with a premium mustang. I hate Sync 2 that much, that I would gladly give up the factory nav for a chinese unit as long as it works well. Let us know if you ever figure out the bluetooth calling, because that's kind of a deal breaker :(
Sync 2 is bad. If you can be patient, Google is supposed to release a different version of Android Auto this year that doesn't require a new head unit. It will run from any phone or a tablet that runs Android 5.0 or greater.

Jackj504

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 s550 convertible
Find out any new pros or cons about the unit? I'm looking to purchase one. How is the iPhone pairing with this unit? Can you use google maps for nav? Run all apps for the iPhone to the head unit? Did you ever figure out how to get voice controls to works? Thanks

OP
OP

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
Find out any new pros or cons about the unit? I'm looking to purchase one. How is the iPhone pairing with this unit? Can you use google maps for nav? Run all apps for the iPhone to the head unit? Did you ever figure out how to get voice controls to works? Thanks
Yes the google maps app works well. My iPhone will pair via Bluetooth and can make and receive calls but I still haven't managed to import contacts so I either need to dial the number from memory or use my phone to place calls. Receiving calls works well. The airplay screen mirroring works. I am happy with the interface. My top complaint is I suspect it uses a lower quality dac so it's not an audiophile quality source. At any volume a normal person would listen to music it's good but when I play it at ear bleeding volumes it actually sounds slightly worse than the stock base unit through a high level/line level converter into a 1400watt rms system that is definitely not a weak link. Btw no I haven't figured out voice controls or remapping the steering wheel controls the only thing I can do right now is change the volume with the steering wheel. The automatic brightness isn't working for me but I have an app on the home screen to do it quickly and easily and it masks the glare pretty well at 100% during the day and at night I use 25%. I have considered adding an external sound processor but don't think it could perfect the sound.

Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Yes the google maps app works well. My iPhone will pair via Bluetooth and can make and receive calls but I still haven't managed to import contacts so I either need to dial the number from memory or use my phone to place calls. Receiving calls works well. The airplay screen mirroring works. I am happy with the interface. My top complaint is I suspect it uses a lower quality dac so it's not an audiophile quality source. At any volume a normal person would listen to music it's good but when I play it at ear bleeding volumes it actually sounds slightly worse than the stock base unit through a high level/line level converter into a 1400watt rms system that is definitely not a weak link. Btw no I haven't figured out voice controls or remapping the steering wheel controls the only thing I can do right now is change the volume with the steering wheel. The automatic brightness isn't working for me but I have an app on the home screen to do it quickly and easily and it masks the glare pretty well at 100% during the day and at night I use 25%. I have considered adding an external sound processor but don't think it could perfect the sound.
Does it replace the factory CD Player portion (ACM)?

Im just curious..

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Interesting unit for sure. I have another unit but am always open to options.
When using Google Maps, is it actually an app on the unit or are you running it from your phone? I would love to have Google Maps as my default without mirroring.

OP
OP

Qam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP and 16 EB Vert
Interesting unit for sure. I have another unit but am always open to options.
When using Google Maps, is it actually an app on the unit or are you running it from your phone? I would love to have Google Maps as my default without mirroring.
Yes it's an app on the unit, this unit is very much like having an android tablet in your dash. You can browse the web (chrome, facebook, whatever). It seems to be able to run just about any app in the app store. I suspect the google maps wouldn't work if it didn't have internet, but it does have the other built-in navigation system that seems to be perfectly good but I haven't used it much. You will need to have a wi-fi hotspot or add the optional built-in cellular device which you will have to pay a monthly fee for cell service.
Sponsored