Sponsored

making the mt82 better

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
First, i've never driven a mustang with a mt82. Second i don't even own a 6th gen. I'm looking at getting a 7th gen and frankly the only real reason i'd get the dark horse is for the tremec. I have a supercharged 06 gt with the 3650 and after stiff motor mounts and CHE torque limiters it never locks me out of 3rd or any gear for that matter. I assume the mt82 problems are similar with it's semi-remote shifter or is it a combinatin of that and the higher rpms of the coyote? I come here for answers because this is where all the mt82 owners are at.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
First, i've never driven a mustang with a mt82. Second i don't even own a 6th gen. I'm looking at getting a 7th gen and frankly the only real reason i'd get the dark horse is for the tremec. I have a supercharged 06 gt with the 3650 and after stiff motor mounts and CHE torque limiters it never locks me out of 3rd or any gear for that matter. I assume the mt82 problems are similar with it's semi-remote shifter or is it a combinatin of that and the higher rpms of the coyote? I come here for answers because this is where all the mt82 owners are at.
I’m not sure how deep you’d be willing to go with enhancements on a D4 tranny, but here’s what I did to mine.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mt82-d4-rebuild-thread.176240/

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had issues with 3rd gear high rpm lock out until I installed a trans mounted shifter bracket. No issues with high rpm lockout after that. I also added a weighted shift knob just to smooth out the shift feel.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
I has issues with 3rd gear high rpm lock out until I installed a trans mounted shifter bracket. No issues with high rpm lockout after that. I also added a weighted shift knob just to smooth out the shift feel.
Thanks! this is the info i'm looking for. Watching reviews online of the 2024 manual they said they got locked out on the 1-2 shift, but if it's simply a matter of installing a bracket i'm good with that.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I hear you! Depending on how much power you plan to put through it, a T56 might also require some upgrades to help it live a happier life. They’re leaps and bounds better than the MT82, but nothing out there is bulletproof.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Thanks! this is the info i'm looking for. Watching reviews online of the 2024 manual they said they got locked out on the 1-2 shift, but if it's simply a matter of installing a bracket i'm good with that.
I installed a bracket that mounts the shifter directly to the trans, same time a short throw shift lever. Also I swapped the plastic fluid line, with a braided steel line, that plastic line will flex as it get's some heat in it. Changed the trans fluid to the BG fluid. Lock out is better, but it's heat dependent. After about 10-15 mins on track it starts to get sticky again, not total lockout as bad as it was but your shifts have to be deliberate and full clutch in for half a second. Another thing I considered is a separate fluid reservoir. Just speculating but after reading many posts I think I'll need a new performance clutch to totally eliminate any chance of lockout.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The MGW took care of my high rpm lock out issues.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Installing an MGW shifter takes is from a pretty mediocre box to a completely acceptable one. Put some good trans oil (BG, Royal Purple, Lucas, etc.) in it and I doubt if you have any issues. My only gripe might be a bit of nibble on the 1-2 shifts when it's cold. Besides that, it's not bad.

I have X-spec long handle. I wouldn't go any shorter and can see running the standard w/ short or long handle might make it smoother/less effort. Either way, it's a big enough improvement that it's silly Ford doesn't do this. The stock contraption can't be any fewer parts or less complexity. NVH difference is dicky-doo, literally nothing. Some of their choices are just baffling.

Sponsored

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
From everything that I have learned the clutch is the top offender for lockout. On my 22 I did not experience any lockout until I installed my Barton shifter so I’m placing blame on the alignment bracket for it. I need to adjust it again

to fix sloppy shifter feel: trans mounted shifter and trans insert. Fluid change deff does help smoothen things out a bit. If you plan on road racing then change brake fluid too (that fixed my only issue in that area)

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Clutch, Shifter and don't power shift and you will have 0 issues.

Ramsgear

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2022 GT/CS Carbon Gray Mettalic, 6sp
Guys - So, back in 2014 I bought a brand new GT Premium with 6sp and Track Pack. I had no more than 1k miles on a new car and 3rd gear always ground going in. I even double clutched it and it still ground. I took it to my local Ford dealer and he pulled the trans and said it appeared that the synchro have overheated and was discolored from heat. They replaced it and it seemed to fix it for the remaining time I drove the car. I think all the 6sp MT82 guys would agree that given the choice we would take a Tremec in a heart beat, maybe give me an option when I buy the car, what a concept!

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
I've installed the following and am quite pleased with shifting performance, even at high rpm while shifting quickly. Am planning to swap in Motul fluid at some point. No rush.

- Steeda 555-7316 Tri-Ax Street Short Throw Shifter (really just a shorter lever).
- Steeda 555-7092 Shifter Base Bushing Bracket.
- Steeda 555-4037 Transmission Mount Bushing Insert.
- Shift Solutions solid stainless steel shifter knob.

I bought most of these parts at a discount so this setup is quite a bit cheaper than a transmission mounted shifter such as a Barton, MGW, or Steeda Tri-Ax Race. Installation was a bit easier as well. However, if I were to track the car I would probably want the perfect seamlessness of a trans mounted shifter. Along with the braided steel clutch line and a better clutch.

For street driving I'm very happy with it as it sits and would do it over again if purchasing another Mustang.

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
I will add that my impression is that the MT-82's reputation for being a crap gearbox is overstated. The D4 version, after the improved shift forks were implemented in 2019, is just fine for all but the most aggressive driving, even bone stock. I haven't driven any of the earlier versions.
Sponsored