making the mt82 better

OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
Guys - So, back in 2014 I bought a brand new GT Premium with 6sp and Track Pack. I had no more than 1k miles on a new car and 3rd gear always ground going in. I even double clutched it and it still ground. I took it to my local Ford dealer and he pulled the trans and said it appeared that the synchro have overheated and was discolored from heat. They replaced it and it seemed to fix it for the remaining time I drove the car. I think all the 6sp MT82 guys would agree that given the choice we would take a Tremec in a heart beat, maybe give me an option when I buy the car, what a concept!
an option would be great for the tremec, but ford has all ready purchased thousands of mt82.
you have a lot of opinions for someone who's never driven one.
there's one of you in every forum.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Easy does it and all will be fine with the MT82-D4. As mentioned, aggressive driving and quick shifting will eventually bite the end user in the bOOty.

Reactions: boB

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I do get that a lot of us suffer with the MT82 but why are you guys trying to pull another poor guy in that rabbit hole. Bro get the Dark Horse or if you want a GT get the A10 both of the trans are better choice than the MT82-D4.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I do get that a lot of us suffer with the MT82 but why are you guys trying to pull another poor guy in that rabbit hole. Bro get the Dark Horse or if you want a GT get the A10 both of the trans are better choice than the MT82-D4.
That’s probably wise advice, because if you talk to Elmer Fudd, usually, nothing but trouble comes up out of that rabbit hole, lol.

Matts23GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Thanks! this is the info i'm looking for. Watching reviews online of the 2024 manual they said they got locked out on the 1-2 shift, but if it's simply a matter of installing a bracket i'm good with that.
This is the same thing that's happening to me. Thanks as well.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
there's one of you in every forum.
Right. so to recap:
You never driven one.
You already decided it's crap without driving one.

There should be more than one of me in every forum.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Right. so to recap:
You never driven one.
You already decided it's crap without driving one.

There should be more than one of me in every forum.
You are saying it's not crap :?

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
MT 82 is not crap. Perspective is your problem. Anyone who's owned a foxbody with a T5 knows what I'm talking about. I had 2 foxbody manuals, 225hp stock and I had the trans out to get fixed at least once a year.

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
I had a 2002 Camaro SS with the T56. It was OK but I don't recall it shifting any better than my current car.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
MT 82 is not crap. Perspective is your problem. Anyone who's owned a foxbody with a T5 knows what I'm talking about. I had 2 foxbody manuals, 225hp stock and I had the trans out to get fixed at least once a year.
Shit, the T5 was way better than the SROD, LOL. Not many of us are this old.

My T5 with a Hurst Shifter was one of the best shifting boxes I've ever used, but my second gear synchro died just like everyone else's.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's complete crap, but I think the shifter is. The box itself is probably a completely reasonable design with poor quality control by Getrag.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The Tremec is just kind of a beast and not close to its max load capacity. If they were an option, I would have jumped for it. They don't sell hardly any manuals in the first place, so asking for another gearbox option isn't possible. Honestly, they should make the manual the up-scale purchase and just sell the better box. Don't even bother with the Getrag. The Tremec is probably twice the cost or more, though.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of people with PD blowers and nitrous that are on the stock MT-82. Zero issues. Seen lots of "bone stock".. "blew up".. blah blah. Other the 3-4 FORK on a 18 only ( TSB on that ), if yer blowing up bone stock, I'll bet 6 months of pay 99.999% is user error. 7K dumps, the famous 4th to 1st power shift, not properly power/speed shifting, etc., etc.

But guess it's easier to blame the trans cause it wasn't built to dumbassery specs.
Sponsored