Sponsored

Rotor damage - Beechmont Ford states this is normal?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You can do 60 to 10 or whatever is safe. You do not want to stop the car. If you can't get to 80 just do a few more. The cool off period is important after the last hard slow down make sure you can roll without stopping for several miles. If for some reason you do need to stop do not hold the brake. If auto put it in park, if manual shut off the engine and put it in gear.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
You can do 60 to 10 or whatever is safe. You do not want to stop the car. If you can't get to 80 just do a few more. The cool off period is important after the last hard slow down make sure you can roll without stopping for several miles. If for some reason you do need to stop do not hold the brake. If auto put it in park, if manual shut off the engine and put it in gear.
And do not use handbrake. 😝

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I used a high-school driveway and parking lots. In a school of any size you have plenty of room to do 30-5 and 50-10 stops and just circle around between stints. Obviously done after hours. If you have an interstate 4-leaf clover you can do the drill there as well.

BLSTOIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
That's the key question - do they work ? Looks are secondary and no dealer will bother with the looks.

OP - btw - best out of all the terrible service departments in this area is Lebanon IMO. Might be far for you depends on where you are.
I had a really dumb experience at Lebanon, granted it was several years ago, so glad to hear that they've improved. Not to hijack the thread, but the Discount Tire in West Chester is phenomenal, if you guys aren't already patrons there.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I had a really dumb experience at Lebanon, granted it was several years ago, so glad to hear that they've improved. Not to hijack the thread, but the Discount Tire in West Chester is phenomenal, if you guys aren't already patrons there.
It's a Ford dealership :) So they're best of the worst.... I'm not really patron anywhere but had to have CAM phasers TSB done on 3.5EB / F150 - on this car I do everything the same except alignments but that's coming too and for tire mounting I use local Goodyear on 747 and is a mile away. They've mounted like 30 sets of tires for me.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
My friends I have been around for quite a while. I also have had performance cars my entire life. Any mechanic or dealer that tells you those rotors are showing normal wear or that they are OK needs his head examined. They are shot, pitted and most likely warped. At the very least I would have the rotors replaced, the pads lightly scuffed (sanded) and the brakes bedded in, but that is how I would handle the situation. You also said there is a squeal when braking. Most likely the pads are contaminated with transfer metal from the rotors. So, I would also change out the pads and do the job right.

Last edited:

Oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang v8
Hi All,

Looking to get your opinions on whether you think this is an issue and if so what's caused it.

Here's the story so far. I bought the car approximately 4 weeks ago from Beechmont Ford in Ohio with roughly 60 miles on it. At pick up I noticed rust on the rotors but didn't think much about it. I figured it was just the typical flash rust you get after a rain or wash. Unfortunately this is not the case. Rust remains and brakes are loud. Almost 400 miles later the rust looks the exact same. At this point I'm getting concerned so I make a service appointment to check it out.

Service was scheduled at 8:30am and for a routine brake check I figured I get an update relatively quickly. When this didn't happen I called back at 3pm and was informed no one had looked at, but a tech would be shortly and it probably just needed to have "some brake cleaner sprayed on it".

At this point I've officially lost my cool and asked for the manager. He essentially informs me that it'll be done shortly. 45 mins later I get a call that the tech has determined my transmission is OK (secondary issue). When asked about the brakes he has no idea. Call back again and was told car is ready and rotors are good to go. No problems found and to continue driving for another 3k miles because Ford corporate says they meet the standards. This incredibly reassuring... I'm also informed that they completed at 99 point inspection and my car is perfect. Surprisingly this safety inspection doesn't include the basics like checking air pressure...

So what are your thoughts about the rotors I have attached. 400 miles completely dry and look the same even after braking. Is the manager right that this will go away or is there another issue here?

20230405_074925.jpg

20230405_074933.jpg

Screenshot_20230405_074910_FordPass.jpg

20230405_085202.jpg
I use to do a lot of street racing in the late 60s and early 70s. Would replace my clutch at least twice a year and my flywheel looked a lot like your rotors. I believe those are what we old street racers called “hot spots” caused by the friction plate starting to slip. I would say either the rotors or pads weren’t broken in properly.

OP
OP

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Just a quick update. I attempted the burnishing procedure and it definitely helped the front rotors. I would say they are 90% better, but the rear remains the same.

I had a follow up appointment with a different dealership. Same terrible service. Dropped after hours for 7:45am appointment and when I called for update at 2:00pm the car was still not checked. Miraculously it was looked and found to be in perfect condition less than 30mins later. I asked the rep if they had racked the vehicle and removed the wheels as part of the inspection and was informed they did. However, they must have some serious ninja skills because I called out that even barely touching my dusty wheels leaves finger prints which were missing from all wheels... So essentially once again, they looked at mileage and didn't even bother to look at the car. Ticket remains open with Ford corporate. Rep last night asked if I wanted to start down the path of a buy back which seemed incredibly odd.

OP
OP

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
probably exposed to way too many Karens.
Probably. I was like let's pump the brakes (bad analogy lol). We're far, far from that point!

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
Just a quick update. I attempted the burnishing procedure and it definitely helped the front rotors. I would say they are 90% better, but the rear remains the same.

I had a follow up appointment with a different dealership. Same terrible service. Dropped after hours for 7:45am appointment and when I called for update at 2:00pm the car was still not checked. Miraculously it was looked and found to be in perfect condition less than 30mins later. I asked the rep if they had racked the vehicle and removed the wheels as part of the inspection and was informed they did. However, they must have some serious ninja skills because I called out that even barely touching my dusty wheels leaves finger prints which were missing from all wheels... So essentially once again, they looked at mileage and didn't even bother to look at the car. Ticket remains open with Ford corporate. Rep last night asked if I wanted to start down the path of a buy back which seemed incredibly odd.

Aaron there is no doubt in my mind you are getting the short end of the stick. Thank God I have a local dealer that listens to your complaint and steps up to remedy the situation. What are your plans at this stage?

OP
OP

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Aaron there is no doubt in my mind you are getting the short end of the stick. Thank God I have a local dealer that listens to your complaint and steps up to remedy the situation. What are your plans at this stage?
Well by the time this is resolved I will have found a great local dealer as well. Too bad it's going to be at best the 3rd attempt at this point.

I will say that local dealers aside, Ford corporate is doing a great job trying to resolve. Not sure what the next steps are, but the Ford rep I'm working with has been great so far. I keep telling them the car is phenomenal - we just need to get this minor issue corrected. My 21 was absolutely flawless, but there is just something special about how this one drives. Once the brakes are fixed this one will be better in everyway.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well by the time this is resolved I will have found a great local dealer as well. Too bad it's going to be at best the 3rd attempt at this point.

I will say that local dealers aside, Ford corporate is doing a great job trying to resolve. Not sure what the next steps are, but the Ford rep I'm working with has been great so far. I keep telling them the car is phenomenal - we just need to get this minor issue corrected. My 21 was absolutely flawless, but there is just something special about how this one drives. Once the brakes are fixed this one will be better in everyway.
Tell the Rep that you're not interested in a Buy Back at this stage, but replacement of all (4) rotors and pads will satisfy your Claim ticket. Ask the Rep too if there is another local Dealer and if they can persuade that Dealership Service Mgr. to actually look at the issue and do the proper thing by replacing the parts.

If the pedal and braking still feels abnormal, then ask to go on a test drive with the Service Writer, Shop Foreman or a Senior Tech so you can demo the issue and they can experience it too.

Yorkshire_OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium

Maybe repeat this procedure several times. the rears on most cars don't do as much work as the fronts, (if they did the weight transfer would be like sticking the handbrake on at speed which is fun but rarely a sensible option) so to get the same result on the rears compared to the fronts will take a track day effort at least. As others have said Ford really should be replacing these on a new car. In what world should this be classed as 'normal' :headbang:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I don't know what part of the city you are in but you could try Airport Ford in Florence, they did me right once on my F150. Castrucci has a couple of dealers, one in Milford and another in Alexandria. I've never used the service department but Alexandria's parts dept is pretty good.
Sponsored