Sponsored

Should I buy a mach 1?

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
Is this your DD? If not, then if I were in your shoes, I would sell the Camaro now and then sit on the cash for a little bit. With interest rates and inflation going up demand will slack off and you will see all the B.S. dealer fees and markups start to go away.

I may get flamed for this, but I also am not sure the M1 is worth it. You could get a GT and with the money you save, invest in performance upgrades that that will more than make up for the stock M1 gains. Ford is making a lot of extra profit on those M1 badges.
with the exception that if you want magneride, you need to option performance package 1 in a GT and the price differential is so minimal that you may as well order a Mach 1. There is a debate whether magaride is worth it or not (and how different it is compared with GM products), but at the end of the day, there is no way I would drive one without it. Having come from a Porsche with PASM, magneride rides better in rough surfaces
Sponsored

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Is this your DD? If not, then if I were in your shoes, I would sell the Camaro now and then sit on the cash for a little bit. With interest rates and inflation going up demand will slack off and you will see all the B.S. dealer fees and markups start to go away.

I may get flamed for this, but I also am not sure the M1 is worth it. You could get a GT and with the money you save, invest in performance upgrades that that will more than make up for the stock M1 gains. Ford is making a lot of extra profit on those M1 badges.
I thought about this scenario for him too.

I would caution the OP that if he goes this route, he must drive both models. He is going to be used to the Tremec Tr6060 equipped Camaro, and might not like the MT82D4 in the GTs. After driving if it doesn't bother the OP, then he can mod his mustang into whatever he wants to scratch his itch for rarity. Endless possibility for mods including appearance stuff in the Mustang world.

When comparing make sure you are doing apples to apples, you need a GT Perf PKG with Magneride.

If not tracking at all, consider a GT but this too must have Magneride.

The configurations do feel different.

OP
OP

obijack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Thanks guys. Iā€™m not out tracking the car or trying to tick off .10ā€™s of second off lap times so all of that stuff that helps you get around a race track faster isnā€™t a big deal to me. Sure itā€™s cool to have. Iā€™m interested in the mach 1 because itā€™s fairly rare and the resell on it should be high. But Iā€™ll never use it to even 50% if itā€™s potential. I do track/amateur race sport bikes though. They are much cheaper to fix when you go down lol.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Your cash will buy you less next year or the years after, so $40k wont be $40k in a year or two. Holding it wont get you much. Demand may slack, but there are other things that will take precedent over new cars in the next 6 months (food)

OP
OP

obijack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Your cash will buy you less next year or the years after, so $40k wont be $40k in a year or two. Holding it wont get you much. Demand may slack, but there are other things that will take precedent over new cars in the next 6 months (food)
Itā€™s true, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I thought the same thing until about 15 months ago. Had a 2018 300A GT that I had modified to make it perform great. Then the Mach 1 threads started popping up and I remember posting almost the exact same thing about paying a lot for fender badges.

Then I test drove the Mach and ordered one the next day. The test drive made me think hey this is pretty nice. But climbing immediately back into my 2018 and realizing how different they felt sealed it.

You will, but not by the GT350 guys šŸ˜

The M1 is very cool - it is probably worth it if someone has the scratch and wants a badass ride
I immediately checked @ay1820 ā€™s profile expecting him to be a GT350 owner šŸ˜‚

Took the Mach to a show last weekend and as I was pulling away from the two guys registering entries, one said ā€œbadass.ā€

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I skipped a few pages but here are my unsolicited thoughts, sorry if they duplicate other's

- I'm not entirely sure it's worth upgrading from the LT1 to the Mach 1 for a weekend car, especially if you aren't tracking it, but that's entirely up to you

- If you are debating a GT + PP1 and magneride, buying the Mach to me is a no brainer. Next time you go to a cars and coffee count the number of GT cars vs the number of Machs. The car is more special, stands out more, drives better, and will have a higher resale because of that.

- If you aren't in a rush, maybe consider selling the LT1 and ordering a Mach, or sell the LT1 and wait till you can find a good deal on a nationwide search. Shipping is relatively cheap, and maybe you'll get a cool road trip out of it

- Lastly, I'd consider upgrading to a 2SS / ZL1 on the Camaro side, or waiting for the S650 release, if you really aren't in a hurry

Obviously you need to pick the best option for you, these are just my $0.02.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Normally I would agree with you, but these are very unusual times where we can get exceptionally high values on the sale of our cars ... but of course, you have to pay exceptionally high markups on the purchase of something new. These are both running way ahead of overall inflation, so there is an opportunity to come our ahead by timing your transactions. You can also hedge by putting the cash from the sale into a 12 month CD (returning somewhere around 1.5% - 1.75%). Of course, there are no guarantees ...

OP
OP

obijack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I skipped a few pages but here are my unsolicited thoughts, sorry if they duplicate other's

- I'm not entirely sure it's worth upgrading from the LT1 to the Mach 1 for a weekend car, especially if you aren't tracking it, but that's entirely up to you

- If you are debating a GT + PP1 and magneride, buying the Mach to me is a no brainer. Next time you go to a cars and coffee count the number of GT cars vs the number of Machs. The car is more special, stands out more, drives better, and will have a higher resale because of that.

- If you aren't in a rush, maybe consider selling the LT1 and ordering a Mach, or sell the LT1 and wait till you can find a good deal on a nationwide search. Shipping is relatively cheap, and maybe you'll get a cool road trip out of it

- Lastly, I'd consider upgrading to a 2SS / ZL1 on the Camaro side, or waiting for the S650 release, if you really aren't in a hurry

Obviously you need to pick the best option for you, these are just my $0.02.
Thank you. I agree with just about everything you said. When I drove the mach 1 I wasnā€™t blown away by the difference between it and the LT1. Sure the mach 1 was nicer because it is the premium model and lots of cool features. But it wasnā€™t a situation where I ā€œhad to have itā€.
That being said, my dad loves mustangs but is too wise (he has plenty of money) to spend that much money on a second vehicle (he would say invest and grow the money). But he would love to go to cars and coffee and car shows with it. So thereā€™s that factor for me as well.
I may end up spending another $10k and getting a ZL1. That would be a fun car.
At the end of the day, if they would have taken off another $1800 I would have bought the mach 1. Everything happens for a reason I suppose.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I thought the same thing until about 15 months ago. Had a 2018 300A GT that I had modified to make it perform great. Then the Mach 1 threads started popping up and I remember posting almost the exact same thing about paying a lot for fender badges.

Then I test drove the Mach and ordered one the next day. The test drive made me think hey this is pretty nice. But climbing immediately back into my 2018 and realizing how different they felt sealed it.
So to be fair, I never did a detailed comparison of the exact features included in both versions and I have never driven a M1. A quick comparison on the Ford site gives you a GT Premium with PP1 and Magnaride at $52,355 MSRP and base Mach 1 at $59,760 MSRP. I do get that the M1 comes with the Tremec and few other goodies, so it is not a direct comparison, but $7,500 can get you a lot of tuning, hence my comment.

I did expect a bit of the reaction I got :) , and there is probably more to the story. I was just doing the quick math.

I immediately checked @ay1820 ā€™s profile expecting him to be a GT350 owner šŸ˜‚

Took the Mach to a show last weekend and as I was pulling away from the two guys registering entries, one said ā€œbadass.ā€
Yeah ... I will freely admit that I am past the point in life where I am looking to squeeze that last little bit out of my cars. I am more interested in something I can "cruise" around in. šŸ˜

Sponsored

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
So to be fair, I never did a detailed comparison of the exact features included in both versions and I have never driven a M1. A quick comparison on the Ford site gives you a GT Premium with PP1 and Magnaride at $52,355 MSRP and base Mach 1 at $59,760 MSRP. I do get that the M1 comes with the Tremec and few other goodies, so it is not a direct comparison, but $7,500 can get you a lot of tuning, hence my comment.

I did expect a bit of the reaction I got :) , and there is probably more to the story. I was just doing the quick math.

Yeah ... I will freely admit that I am past the point in life where I am looking to squeeze that last little bit out of my cars. I am more interested in something I can "cruise" around in. šŸ˜
E9A5B646-3914-4872-980D-7B09A405FC2C.jpeg

Of course hp is 2021 numbers

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
your money will run out before the deals do. I've been haggling for weeks with dealers.
the turtle wins this race, not the hare.

SemperFi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 m0303
Thank you. I agree with just about everything you said. When I drove the mach 1 I wasnā€™t blown away by the difference between it and the LT1. Sure the mach 1 was nicer because it is the premium model and lots of cool features. But it wasnā€™t a situation where I ā€œhad to have itā€.
That being said, my dad loves mustangs but is too wise (he has plenty of money) to spend that much money on a second vehicle (he would say invest and grow the money). But he would love to go to cars and coffee and car shows with it. So thereā€™s that factor for me as well.
I may end up spending another $10k and getting a ZL1. That would be a fun car.
At the end of the day, if they would have taken off another $1800 I would have bought the mach 1. Everything happens for a reason I suppose.
Thank you for not buying a Mach 1. I think I may be the only one in NE Florida, at least the only one that actually drives it, and I would like to keep it that way.

OP
OP

obijack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Thank you for not buying a Mach 1. I think I may be the only one in NE Florida, at least the only one that actually drives it, and I would like to keep it that way.
Lol. Someone bought a white 6 speed while I was there and drove off as I was walking back to my Camaro after the deal fell through. But if I did buy it, I would only drive it 2-3 times per month lol.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
If you want to grab a tremec-based coyote (albeit the TR3160 in a 23 spline configuration which is nothing short of puzzling to me), absolutely. My personal wish was for them to stick to a TR6060 or upgrade the TR3160... not downgrade it. The TR3160 is a decent transmission, but it's not a HUGE upgrade over the MT82D4 (outside of the gearing).
Sponsored

Last edited: