The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
having the extra oil capacity from that large heat exchanger is nice, but that kit requires the bumper belly pan (?) to be removed? if it is mounted paralell it seems that a smaller one with a fan would be more efficient than a large one without.
Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
having the extra oil capacity from that large heat exchanger is nice, but that kit requires the bumper belly pan (?) to be removed? if it is mounted paralell it seems that a smaller one with a fan would be more efficient than a large one without.
You only have to remove the belly pan to install the Harrop kit. Once the kit is installed, you reinstall the belly pan.
There’s plenty of space for the air to come in through the lower grill, pass through the cooler and exit under the car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
having the extra oil capacity from that large heat exchanger is nice, but that kit requires the bumper belly pan (?) to be removed?
you talking Harrop? the belly pan is intact, even essential to correct operation. I'm probably going to use weather stripping to box the input side. You don't need massive air for any of these radiators to work. about 30mph is plenty. More and all you get is turbulence and stall.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
And viceversa
Somewhat, but not as much. Of course, it's about the entire quantity of heat rejected, but the heat transfer rates heavily favor the water side. That's likely the reason the Eco's don't even have a real oil sensor.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I talked to Ron Davis this afternoon. He produces an Eco radiator with all the factory mounts @ 1.375" thick & $1287. They're all custom with about a 5 week lead.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I talked to Ron Davis this afternoon. He produces an Eco radiator with all the factory mounts @ 1.375" thick & $1287. They're all custom with about a 5 week lead.
1.375" seems a bit thin. The Mishimoto core is listed at 2.05" thick. Here is a pick of the Mishi next to the factory PP radiator.
1650663604400.png

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I'll pass on Harrop.
Either going Mishi kit cause it's cheap or piece together a 948
I would not go Mishimoto. You get what you pay for, and doing this install twice does not make sense. Just ask me. I just did over winter, tracked in 30 degrees 3 weeks back and 50 degrees last weekend. Basically did nothing.

38237638-7AA2-406B-9514-3A9A28C5D5C8.jpeg

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I would not go Mishimoto. You get what you pay for, and doing this install twice does not make sense. Just ask me. I just did over winter, tracked in 30 degrees 3 weeks back and 50 degrees last weekend. Basically did nothing.
Each rad is custom. I'm sure he'd build whatever you wanted. My guess is that his rads cool better than an equivalent Mish, but I have nothing to back that up.

I've also thought that it might be worth putting a GT350 nose on the car and have 2 smaller auxiliary rads in the corners. That quickly becomes a lot of work, but it might be what is really required.

Find a smaller A/C condenser, so the rad gets more air has also crossed my mind.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Are there 2 of him? I asked him just 2 days ago and said he only does 5.0 rads. I even mentioned the scca example and said nothing. Grrrr

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
1.375" seems a bit thin. The Mishimoto core is listed at 2.05" thick. Here is a pick of the Mishi next to the factory PP radiator.
1650663604400.png
Most Ron Davis rads are triple pass so cool better than single pass.

Been meaning to ask you, do you run 5050 water and coolant? If so drop the coolant as low as you are comfortable with and add a bottle or two of water wetter. Will help with heat rejection.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Somewhat, but not as much. Of course, it's about the entire quantity of heat rejected, but the heat transfer rates heavily favor the water side. That's likely the reason the Eco's don't even have a real oil sensor.
Neither the GT

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Each rad is custom. I'm sure he'd build whatever you wanted. My guess is that his rads cool better than an equivalent Mish, but I have nothing to back that up.

I've also thought that it might be worth putting a GT350 nose on the car and have 2 smaller auxiliary rads in the corners. That quickly becomes a lot of work, but it might be what is really required.

Find a smaller A/C condenser, so the rad gets more air has also crossed my mind.
My quote of ewheels was specifically in regards to the Mishimoto Oil Cooler kit for the S550 Mustang GT. If that’s what he is considering, I highly recommend against it.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
My quote of ewheels was specifically in regards to the Mishimoto Oil Cooler kit for the S550 Mustang GT. If that’s what he is considering, I highly recommend against it.
Well I have it since 2018.
15k miles.
It does.a good job for 'normal HPDE speeds or time trials '
For endurance definetely small.
I have it without a thermostat.
For the 10speed guys. please remember to PUT IT IN THE LOWER GRILLE. Cause otherwise you cover your trans OEM cooler

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Well I have it since 2018.
15k miles.
It does.a good job for 'normal HPDE speeds or time trials '
For endurance definetely small.
I have it without a thermostat.
For the 10speed guys. please remember to PUT IT IN THE LOWER GRILLE. Cause otherwise you cover your trans OEM cooler
Why are you bypassing the thermostat?
There is no upside to it, only downside

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Been meaning to ask you, do you run 5050 water and coolant? If so drop the coolant as low as you are comfortable with and add a bottle or two of water wetter. Will help with heat rejection.
This helps, but there are some things to consider. The best choice for cooling is distilled water with a little bit of Water Wetter or that similar stuff from VP. This gives the pump lubrication and your best heat transfer rates. The problem is that now you get all of your boiling point elevation due to pressure in the system. When we're running elevated temps (for sure anything over 230*) & pressure of the cooling system we put real stress on the rad. It's entirely possible to get the cooling system hot enough that the pressure balloons the radiator passages. They go from a flat, oblong shape to round. This destroys the airflow through the rad and causes all sorts of head scratching until you try to look through the rad and see there's no airflow.

If you don't have a rad which can take the higher pressures, then they can be damaged just through use. High strength AL alloys is one reason a racing rad costs more than a 'normal' one.

And, I'll still harp on the temps in general. Best power and reliability will be about 185*F. In my previous experience with the Eco/Dura and the Ford mod engines, they do not put up with elevated temps well. I have no idea how they would operate at 240*, because by 220, they'd already shat themselves. It may very well be that the stock arrangement is chronically under-cooled for track duty and it needs a complete rethink.
Sponsored