Perfect launch from a dig in a boosted 6R80

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Exactly. I air mine right down and they're "better" but unless I heat them up and i'm on good pavement, there's not a lot that can be done. The R2s, to me anyways, offer the best mid ground for daily street driving and having traction and decent mileage than anything. MT ET Rs would offer better straight-line traction at a cost of wear and cornering. To me they shine better at the track.

However, OP is hoping to find traction from a dig on the street with Pilots. Weight in the trunk could help. Airing down could help. Feathering throttle and staying out of boost could help. As I see it, these appear to be the only options and none of these is really going to get OP a really hard launch. Myself, I would be really afraid to add in a bunch of unsecured weight in the trunk... Remember those TV commercials in the 70's with the Kleenex box on the rear panel that comes flying forward in a collision or hard braking? No thanks...
Yes, R2 is really the only middle ground in tires driven daily. Rear mounted battery would help a little. Still might do that myself. I removed the engine and battery covers, front sway bar (also the required Shutter delete) and went with a steeda bumper support to remove some of the front end weight added by the Procharger.
Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
However, OP is hoping to find traction from a dig on the street with Pilots. Weight in the trunk could help. Airing down could help. Feathering throttle and staying out of boost could help. As I see it, these appear to be the only options and none of these is really going to get OP a really hard launch. Myself, I would be really afraid to add in a bunch of unsecured weight in the trunk... Remember those TV commercials in the 70's with the Kleenex box on the rear panel that comes flying forward in a collision or hard braking? No thanks...
The reason why I said "spare tire well" and not "trunk" is because theres threaded holes there that can be used to secure any weight.
Im confident if OP is asking for advice, OP has room for improvement on the launch. May never see prepped surface/ drag tire launch G's, but can definietly improve the accel in track apps.

Yes, R2 is really the only middle ground in tires driven daily. Rear mounted battery would help a little. Still might do that myself. I removed the engine and battery covers, front sway bar (also the required Shutter delete) and went with a steeda bumper support to remove some of the front end weight added by the Procharger.
Adding wieght is just the quick easy way. Shifting wieght around like these ideas is much better. Some corner scales to measure your static weight distribution and maintain a horizontal balance in the process gives a quantifiable approach to improving the traction at the tire.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I disagree, the reason online forums suck is people get their feelings hurt. I know him a little, Jackson1320, he is blunt guy and speaks his mind. I don't think he meant it as being a fill in the blank. At this point in my life I'd rather someone tell me I am all f-ed up, and save me the money and time and I'll worry about my feelings later.

Edit to add, WildHorse, another one of those types was blunt to me about tire choice. I got my feelings hurt, but eventually wised up. The thread is here somewhere.
Agree with you %100. Getting the feeeelings hurt so easily & melting like a snowflake is one of the reasons our country is in the situation that its in. Also that was a polite answer compared to what you would get on places like fb. Forrums & fb are really the only places for convos like this so what else is there. I also get accused of this due to being blunt when I speak to people in person. Too many feelings nowadays get hurt so easily. Just my .02, but Im sure someone will melt over it.

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I am okay with all the answers I got from you guys and I don't feel offended. The US forum is much more polite than the german forum, where most of the answers would question my mental suitability to participate in the public traffic and clarify how my behavior damages the reputation of the german Mustang community. The rest would adress the unnecessary stress for the car.

I see where the discussion goes and I really appreciate all your answers. But as I said, my cars specs won't be changed as they are optimized for fast road driving which is my main goal.

Drag radials, lowering tire pressure, weights in the back would all adress my launching issues but at the same time it would compromise my main goals. So all this ain' t gonna happen.

Actually I am not that serious about the launch thing. Being capable to start my Mustang as it is a little quicker would just be a nice bonus.

I wonder if it would help to break boost the car with certain gas pedal position as I find it difficult to modulate the gas after the first few meters. I am often to hesitant off the line and when I push the pedal to correct, I overdo it and spin the wheels. So maybe there is a sweet spot for the launch and break boost would help or is this bad for the stock transmission to do that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Can you go a wider tyre on the rear? Like a 305 in PS4S?
My rims are 10" wide and 285 is unfortunately the maximum width officially allowed on the wheels. I consider to go wider, but I will have to look for a whole new set of wheels. I think 315 is max for the GT over here.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I can't remember since it's been a few years since I drove a 6r80, but can you launch in 2nd gear? Might help a little with spin.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So all this ain' t gonna happen.
Then you launching from a dig without wheelspin.. 'ain't gonna happen'

My rims are 10" wide and 285 is unfortunately the maximum width officially allowed on the wheels
305's on a 10" wide no problem. Lots of tire manufactures say that's the minimum width.

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
@M-Driver,

Just echoing what everyone else has mentioned, there really is no solution to what you're asking for with the conditions you've stipulated.
Even if you found the ideal rpm and throttle to get a good launch today all that changes tomorrow when road surface, road temps, tire temps etc. change.
An AWD car with decent tires is the only way of getting mostly consistent launches on the street.

You have to get decent with throttle modulation, no way around it.
Personally I enjoy finding the limits of traction whenever I'm driving spiritedly. If you're comfortable with it turn off traction control and start exploring your traction limits on different road surfaces and different ambient temps.
Over time you'll be able to ballpark how much grip you have available (for given conditions), how much throttle to use at launch, and how quickly to ramp it up even on street tires.
Just takes practice

Last edited:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
This is a great example of why forums are less appealing than they could be. You can disagree with his theory/approach to his car without being snarky, or frankly, a dick. Not everyone has the same purpose as you, the same experience as you, or the same end goal as you. There are answers to his question other than the one thing he said he didn’t want to change.
Stop holding his hand he’s a big boy and can speak for himself if he is offended. I was not being a Dick. If you refuse to change tires, air pressure or size you just took everything away

Last edited:

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Stop holding his hand he’s a big boy and can speak for himself if he is offended. I was not being a Dick. If you refuse to change tires, air pressure or size you just took everything away
It was less about his specific issue and more about unnecessary attitude. A better understanding of how to make a car launch doesn’t give you license to be talk down to other people. Again, you could have answered without the extra, which is what made you a dick, just because you say you weren’t doesn’t mean you weren’t…

I feel like this has become a thing, not my intent. Just don’t be extra is all.

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
305's on a 10" wide no problem. Lots of tire manufactures say that's the minimum width.
Hm, I have to check that. I have to get a new set of tires soon. If this is possible without any problems (TÜV Gutachten) I am definitely willing to go bigger. 😃

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I am okay with all the answers I got from you guys and I don't feel offended. The US forum is much more polite than the german forum, where most of the answers would question my mental suitability to participate in the public traffic and clarify how my behavior damages the reputation of the german Mustang community. The rest would adress the unnecessary stress for the car.

I see where the discussion goes and I really appreciate all your answers. But as I said, my cars specs won't be changed as they are optimized for fast road driving which is my main goal.

Drag radials, lowering tire pressure, weights in the back would all adress my launching issues but at the same time it would compromise my main goals. So all this ain' t gonna happen.

Actually I am not that serious about the launch thing. Being capable to start my Mustang as it is a little quicker would just be a nice bonus.

I wonder if it would help to break boost the car with certain gas pedal position as I find it difficult to modulate the gas after the first few meters. I am often to hesitant off the line and when I push the pedal to correct, I overdo it and spin the wheels. So maybe there is a sweet spot for the launch and break boost would help or is this bad for the stock transmission to do that.
FIrst of all, I have been where you are many, many times. The Michelins are simply one of the best tires out there for all around use in +40F temps.
One of the reasons that tires spin other than HP/TQ is the amount of "down force" they experience on takeoff. Obviously the more down force, the better grip. On the S197s we used different lower control arms which had virtually no deflection. Harder ride, but it did the job.
On the S550, The BMR cradle lockout kit will remove the majority of your deflection. Yes, you tires will spin, but the gripping will improve noticaby. It will also add a decent amount of handlinjg. These bushings "lockout" the deflection without adding any NVH. You do not need the entire CB005 kit, just the bushings I have referenced.
That is my suggestion without a tire change which I would not do for a daily driven car. No drag radials handle and perform like the 4s you have. Here is the link:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-cradle-bushing-lockout-kit-1517.html

Ghorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Since changing tires is out of the question. What about a high end computer management system like MOTEC. I think that's it. It's used in some very insane hp builds and it's traction control seems unmatched from what I've seen.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hm, I have to check that. I have to get a new set of tires soon. If this is possible without any problems (TÜV Gutachten) I am definitely willing to go bigger. 😃
Here's a 325/30r19 firehawk indy 500 on a 19×10 rim. Barley any bulge.
20220326_105344.jpg
Sponsored