Sponsored

High Mileage GT350 Next Steps - Recommendations

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm at 75,600 miles with my 2017 GT350. I have an incoming Cayenne GTS and my initial plan was to sell the GT350 but I think I am too attached to the car at this point as I have had it since 4 miles. Car has been pretty bullet proof other than A/C replacement at 8,000 miles, diff pinion seal leak around 20,000 miles. The hood was replaced under warranty due to rust (this was a disaster but not Ford's or car's fault).

The only out of warranty repairs were the replacement of the main fuse (because my wife hooked up the jumper cables to the fuse box terminals instead of battery terminals - yeah I know) and a front control arm. These last two repairs cost me total of $240.

So total sum cost of GT350 to me in almost 76k miles is $240.

Car does burn 1 qt of oil every 1,000 miles since new. It gets a little worse in winter due to extremely cold starts every morning (this morning was 6F) and it gets around twice of that (2,000 miles) during highway driving/long distance driving.

It has the traditional piston slap (since brand new) and it has the typewriter tick (since brand new). By the way, people who worry about those two things should take notice that my car lasted this long with them.

For the last 30,000 miles, oil sample reports have been showing fluctuating lead levels. I am assuming this is from the bearings. I read about these OPG failures. I start my car (have to right now as I have no choice) in very cold mornings. Crank turns fine (in those very very cold days, starter sounds like its struggling) but I fear OPG will fall apart.

Now I am at cross hairs and have two options:

1) Buy an aftermarket extended warranty for $4,000. Once my Cayenne GTS comes, I am going to use the GT350 as a "fun" car only rather than a "daily driver and a fun car - but I must be careful as it's my only car that can carry the family). Which means I will drive it harder - now I dont drive it that hard at all. I also need to do some maintenance on the car if I will keep it such as rotors ($1000), pads ($500), belt, transmission and diff oil flush, radiator flush. Some of these will need to be done at a dealer.

2) Sell the car and buy a 2019 GT350 with warranty and extend the warranty with flood ford so that this warranty lapping never happens (was a big mistake I did this with my GT350). The cost of this will be around $20-25k (I am getting $40-42k for my car).

On one hand I think I have too many miles on the car and too much maintenance and that I should "cash out" and not push my luck. This car has been good to me, it never let me down but eventually if you keep overplaying your hand, you may lose big time (good poker players are the ones who know when to stop).

On another hand, I think I got a "good copy" of a GT350 and that if something was going to fail in 75,000 miles, it would have done so.
Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
option 2, cash out. driving it harder now will only greatly increase the cost of use. good luck.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You're in a good spot. Hard to choose.

I would point out though - that most people with GT350s should expect this kind of service life from their cars. We certainly hear about the bad ones but the majority of these cars are going to live a long, normal life.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Smart thing to do is cash out- but I dont always make smart decisions.....
Sometimes when you have a history/ connection with a car its not always easy to move on to a different car

Sponsored

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Has anyone done a Voodoo Coyote swap?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I must be some kind of sap 😆 I think if it's been a good sample and you're attached, just keep it and show it the love it needs to keep going.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
You paid 57-60K for your ‘17. What a value you’ve experienced!
How many miles does the ‘19 have? Probably not many. I’d take advantage of that trade for sure.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Buy a Ford ESP on your current gt350 if you want to keep it.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Matt, another consideration is to have your engine refreshed. @honeybadger could give you estimates of the varying levels, but yours would not need the race engine refresh, but simply the wear items.

If you really love the car, then thats what I would do. In fact, that is my plan with my Rs. I will acquire a spare voodoo and as each engine needs to be pulled, ill have one ready to go.

That 4k you are thinking of spending would cover a good portion of a refresh.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Matt, another consideration is to have your engine refreshed. @honeybadger could give you estimates of the varying levels, but yours would not need the race engine refresh, but simply the wear items.

If you really love the car, then thats what I would do. In fact, that is my plan with my Rs. I will acquire a spare voodoo and as each engine needs to be pulled, ill have one ready to go.

I do love the car, I will reach out to honeybadger.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

I'm a bit confused... is the refresh less than 4K? An engine if it was to go kaboom would be 20K and in some cases 29K which is the highest I've seen. 4K investment would sound like a better solution to me. I mean if the EVAP goes out... that's 3K easily right there.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm a bit confused... is the refresh less than 4K? An engine if it was to go kaboom would be 20K and in some cases 29K which is the highest I've seen. 4K investment would sound like a better solution to me. I mean if the EVAP goes out... that's 3K easily right there.
I didn't say it would be less than 4k. It would go a long way towards a refresh. My guess would be 6k or so. An all out refresh for racing would be probably closer to 10k. But this is where Kevin has a better idea. That is why I recommended he contact him.

As long as the engine is still serviceable, there is no need for a long block. Valves, pistons, bearings, etc are all it would probably need. I would certainly upgrade the OPG to a billet gear.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

Was going to suggest a “spare “ Engine .
Have one for sale ,if OP or anyone else is interested send me a PM.
Sponsored