High Mileage GT350 Next Steps - Recommendations

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I haven't included the clutch and flywheel above as its still holding strong. I know usually it lasts at least 100,000 miles but you never know with this car. I believe that's another $2,000 with labor that I need to budget for within the next 24 months as well.
Sponsored

mattador_16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Has anyone done a Voodoo Coyote swap?
that would be interesting 🤔

To be clear, u mean put a coyote in there-in place of the aged voodoo?

I wonder if it'd connect to the tranny ok, since a '350 has a Tremec and a GT does not.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
that would be interesting 🤔

To be clear, u mean put a coyote in there-in place of the aged voodoo?

I wonder if it'd connect to the tranny ok, since a '350 has a Tremec and a GT does not.
Just use a GT350 clutch and flywheel. The bell housing bolt pattern is the same.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So your concern is a catch all warranty so that you don't have to turn a wrench. If this is correct, I change my position and suggest you sell the car. I originally recommended that you do an engine refresh and take the rest as it comes. With that comes a degree of responsibility to cover the rest, assuming that you can do basic mechanics.

If you want a trouble free GT350, you probably should buy a car in warranty, extend the warranty, and sell the car you have. You probably don't want anything to do with the kind of maintenence that is coming your way.

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So your concern is a catch all warranty so that you don't have to turn a wrench. If this is correct, I change my position and suggest you sell the car. I originally recommended that you do an engine refresh and take the rest as it comes. With that comes a degree of responsibility to cover the rest, assuming that you can do basic mechanics.

If you want a trouble free GT350, you probably should buy a car in warranty, extend the warranty, and sell the car you have. You probably don't want anything to do with the kind of maintenence that is coming your way.
I do not want a trouble free GT350. I understand some maintenance is needed.

Since posting this thread, I found out that I can add Ford ESP to my car up to 5 years an additional 60,000 miles for $5,700. This is bumper to bumper not power train warranty.

Also the cheapest upgrade path for me is $27,500 plus redoing some of the mods. And that car I found isnt an ideal spec. Nicer ones are in the $33,000 range. Its a lot of money. Its like paying 50% MSRP new to buy the same car with less miles and warranty.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
.....Also the cheapest upgrade path for me is $27,500 plus redoing some of the mods. And that car I found isnt an ideal spec. Nicer ones are in the $33,000 range. Its a lot of money. Its like paying 50% MSRP new to buy the same car with less miles and warranty.
I'd keep the current car and wait until the current car shortage is over. JMO.

I think the extended warrantees are great profit units for the companies that offer them. You'd be better taking the risk 90% of the time.

And you were ordering a new $130,000+ Porsche Cayenne.

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
I do not want a trouble free GT350. I understand some maintenance is needed.

Since posting this thread, I found out that I can add Ford ESP to my car up to 5 years an additional 60,000 miles for $5,700. This is bumper to bumper not power train warranty.

Also the cheapest upgrade path for me is $27,500 plus redoing some of the mods. And that car I found isnt an ideal spec. Nicer ones are in the $33,000 range. Its a lot of money. Its like paying 50% MSRP new to buy the same car with less miles and warranty.
Hey, just found this thread, curious to know what you went with. I have Ford ESP with about 2500 miles remaining on it. With the ESP I got a new engine and trans along with 2 alternator swaps, AC compressor, AC lines, EVAP sensor, and a few misc services here and there. It's definitely worth it; I already got back 10 folds for what I paid for the ESP.
Bought my 350 from someone and instantly knew since its a MY17 it will come with problems but they were taken care of so you are lucky your's is good. I daily mine and drive the heck out of it.
I will be renewing my ESP, its about 5000 CAD as long as the mileage is under 60K miles, I am currently at 57K miles. I would never recommend going with a 3rd party insurance company as they have loopholes around the engine and that's what we bought this car for!

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey, just found this thread, curious to know what you went with. I have Ford ESP with about 2500 miles remaining on it. With the ESP I got a new engine and trans along with 2 alternator swaps, AC compressor, AC lines, EVAP sensor, and a few misc services here and there. It's definitely worth it; I already got back 10 folds for what I paid for the ESP.
Bought my 350 from someone and instantly knew since its a MY17 it will come with problems but they were taken care of so you are lucky your's is good. I daily mine and drive the heck out of it.
I will be renewing my ESP, its about 5000 CAD as long as the mileage is under 60K miles, I am currently at 57K miles. I would never recommend going with a 3rd party insurance company as they have loopholes around the engine and that's what we bought this car for!
I ended up the selling the car and getting a full refund on the warranty. I sold it for 70% of what I paid for, plus returned $2,500 worth of hardware for which I needed to do major maintenance, and $4,000 of refund for the warranty. All said and done, it was the better choice financially. I don't want to go into details of why I sold it as it's going to turn into a different conversation. But my long term DD review of this car is that at some point it starts showing age and from there things go downhill pretty quickly. The vibrations tear the engine, and everything around it (especially interior panels) apart. And then you can never catch a break of things to fix.

The first 45,000 miles was flawless. The next 20,000 miles were okay. The last 15,000 miles were like it's a completely different car.

I don't think it's the fault of the car. Try driving a 458 for 80,000 miles :)

Last edited:

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
I ended up the selling the car and getting a full refund on the warranty. I sold it for 70% of what I paid for, plus returned $2,500 worth of hardware for which I needed to do major maintenance, and $4,000 of refund for the warranty. All said and done, it was the better choice financially. I don't want to go into details of why I sold it as it's going to turn into a different conversation. But my long term DD review of this car is that at some point it starts showing age and from there things go downhill pretty quickly. The vibrations tear the engine, and everything around it (especially interior panels) apart. And then you can never catch a break of things to fix.

The first 45,000 miles was flawless. The next 20,000 miles were okay. The last 15,000 miles were like it's a completely different car.

I don't think it's the fault of the car. Try driving a 458 for 80,000 miles :)

I know what you mean! It's an awesome car, and I agree with it not aging well so you made the right call.
I wonder what I should do myself, get the extended ESP and keep driving or sell it and not put any more mileage. The problem I find is everything with the same or better performance is expensive even compared to the price I got the 350 for. All major components have already been replaced and the new engine is the 'K' series which is the 350R engine so it doesn't have the shortcomings of a weak OPG. The engine has 30K miles on it and has never consumed oil. The new trans has about 20K miles.

I am addicted to the noise it makes, mine has no cats but I kept the mufflers for the flaps when I see cops lol

Sponsored
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I know what you mean! It's an awesome car, and I agree with it not aging well so you made the right call.
I wonder what I should do myself, get the extended ESP and keep driving or sell it and not put any more mileage. The problem I find is everything with the same or better performance is expensive even compared to the price I got the 350 for. All major components have already been replaced and the new engine is the 'K' series which is the 350R engine so it doesn't have the shortcomings of a weak OPG. The engine has 30K miles on it and has never consumed oil. The new trans has about 20K miles.

I am addicted to the noise it makes, mine has no cats but I kept the mufflers for the flaps when I see cops lol
Its going to need more warranty and its going to need more repairs as time goes on. That's fact of life. For me the choice was easy because my kid grew so tall (taller than my wife) and could not fit in the back seat anymore. Plus we got into biking and needed a hitch (and I have other sports cars). I always had an emotional connection to this car but I had to put some serious $$$ on it.

Maybe look into buying a cheaper DD and buy a lower mileage GT350 and not drive the GT350 everyday.

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
Its going to need more warranty and its going to need more repairs as time goes on. That's fact of life. For me the choice was easy because my kid grew so tall (taller than my wife) and could not fit in the back seat anymore. Plus we got into biking and needed a hitch (and I have other sports cars). I always had an emotional connection to this car but I had to put some serious $$$ on it.

Maybe look into buying a cheaper DD and buy a lower mileage GT350 and not drive the GT350 everyday.

Ahh I see.. well that makes perfect sense in your case to get rid of it!
I am still in my 20s, so I don't have many obligations apart from having bucket loads of cash lol

I might keep the car since I have another car for the winter.
But definitely going forward I will invest in the ESP.. the day it runs out the car will be sold.

On a side note, I had a set of Michelin Super Sports which lasted me about 4 months and this year I decided to try 4S tires and they are doing a little better in terms of wear but they will be done this season to. Any suggestion on other tires that work well on the 350?
Sponsored