Sponsored

Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Sub not working! I double checked all connections. Used posi tap connectors to get the signal...
Left + Wht-Grn
Left - Brn-Yel
Right + Brn-Wht
Right - Brn-Blu
The amp seems to be working fine. Just ZERO sound from the sub. My only guess is that the sub is bad. I bought it used from ABT.COM. It an appliance and electronic store. See Pics and lmk if i did anything wrong before I reach out to them. Thanks

IMG_6195.jpg
IMG_6196.jpg
IMG_6198.jpg
IMG_6199.jpg
IMG_6200.jpg
IMG_6201.jpg
Sponsored

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Test the sub with a 9 volt battery and see if you get any movement? You have a hand held oscilloscope? What is the AC voltage on the amp output? Have you looked at the resistance the sub is showing using an ohm meter? All things you can try.

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Test the sub with a 9 volt battery and see if you get any movement? You have a hand held oscilloscope? What is the AC voltage on the amp output? Have you looked at the resistance the sub is showing using an ohm meter? All things you can try.
I’ve got a multimeter at work. Will that do?
I’ll do the 9v battery test. Is it what it think it is and put the sub wires on the battery connects? Does it make a noise?

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I just did the test. It did make a pop.

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Now that It appears the sub can at least make some noise I’m gonna move the ground. I fashioned a bolt on the sheet metal behind that rear truck panel. I sanded off the paint but still might not be good enough. I’ll try that bolt in between the rear seat. Unless u think it could be something else?

Sponsored

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Now that It appears the sub can at least make some noise I’m gonna move the ground. I fashioned a bolt on the sheet metal behind that rear truck panel. I sanded off the paint but still might not be good enough. I’ll try that bolt in between the rear seat. Unless u think it could be something else?
Hopefully those wire connectors are making good contact, never used those but don't see how they couldn't. Ground is critical, I usually hook one end of a speaker wire to the negative terminal of the battery and check the resistance between my ground and the terminal, 0 ohms preferably.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
1641694346503.png

I might be seeing things, but it looks like the wire insulation is not stripped in this image. Maybe its just a bad angle. Maybe go over all your connections again just to make sure its all correct?

robsmack01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
1641694346503.png

I might be seeing things, but it looks like the wire insulation is not stripped in this image. Maybe its just a bad angle. Maybe go over all your connections again just to make sure its all correct?
Yes, on that connection I put a pretty good length of exposed wire in the eye type opening and screwed the top down. It does look like that tho lol. I was pretty impressed at my wire cutting and connections. I went over all of them before I posted cuz I knew that’s the first thing would be recommend. I spent over an hour last night trying to find the best place for a ground. The bolt between the rear seats is a popular area. I sanded the paint off but the bolt itself is painted black and I didn’t have that size to replace. I guess I could sand that bolt too. Hopefully that will do the trick.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
guys i have a mustang gt 2021 with b & o but it sucks. who changed, what did you put, advise? Thank you
My opinion is that the crappy rear shelf speakers and crappy center speaker ruin the sound quality. I wrote a thread about disconnecting the center speaker, and fading the sound towards 90% front.

I found (via acousting measurement) that the OEM trunk subwoofer is set way too high at the factory. I wrote another thread about how to adjust the slider controls for bass, mid, treble to improve the overall spectral balance.

The door speakers and tweeters are good enough and need not be replaced IMO.

All these tips are free.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Yes the speaker wires are solidly connected. Also the sub has a high level switch and low level switch. Because it has speaker wire leads and RCA outputs. I cycled the switch just for the sake of checking and when switched to rca the sound stops, and when switched to speaker wire it does work as long as its in accessory mode. Ok guys i thank you all for your help in this matter. I think im gonna get rid of this set up and eventually go to a classic amp and separate sub with LOC and rca inputs. I just am at wits end trying to solve this on my own. I just get this suspicion its the amp in this ordeal.
Was reading the troubleshooting suggestions. I have a couple for troubleshooting purposes only:

1. Run a short jumper from the amp power terminal to the trigger terminal. This is to test if your incoming power/ground is stable, and bypassing the trigger issue entirely.

2. Try your preferred wiring setup, but with a different amp. This is to prove whether your amp is reliable, has some internal problem, or has some sort of incompatibility or sensitivity to your preferred wiring setup.

EDIT: If the new amp also flickers, then your wiring scheme is suspect. (This includes fuse issues.)
If the new amp behaves, then your wiring is probably OK but your first amp is unhappy.

You might want to disconnect the speaker during these tests, so that there is no load on the amp.

Last edited:

Sponsored

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Was reading the troubleshooting suggestions. I have a couple for troubleshooting purposes only:

1. Run a short jumper from the amp power terminal to the trigger terminal. This is to test if your incoming power/ground is stable, and bypassing the trigger issue entirely.

2. Try your preferred wiring setup, but with a different amp. This is to prove whether your amp is reliable, has some internal problem, or has some sort of incompatibility or sensitivity to your preferred wiring setup.

You might want to disconnect the speaker during these tests, so that there is no load on the amp.
Another very simple thing, is the subwoofer/subwoofers impedance matched to your amplifier at either 1,2 or 4 ohm however you have them wired? Some amps can do all 3, other amps can do 2 or 4 however if you are bridging an output a lot of amps will only do 4 ohms.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
If anyone cares, here is a basic diagram of how I did my system. Factory Amp removed.

S550-Stereo.jpg

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Has anyone heard of or have had their bass just stop? The bass from all active speakers is gone...

Stereo mods I have:
Sync 3 upgrade
upgraded speakers and amp

All worked fine for years until now.

I plugged the factory amp back in and I still have the same issue.

Could my head unit have gone bad? Anything else I can check / troubleshoot?

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I have a 2015 Mustang GT Premium. My Shaker Pro (12 speaker) system sucks. Won't hold onto a stereo signal, much less an HD signal. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I replace the current My Ford Touch (Sync) with a SYNC3 system? I have NAV & GPS if that matters.

2) Is there a "signal" booster that would improve my FM & HD signal?

I have read that some of the original S550's didn't have the antenna connected to the radio. How do I check to ensure my antenna is connected.

Thank you
Sponsored