Intake Temp Increased after Filter Swap

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I replaced my engine filter on Sunday and the difference between outside temp and intake temp changed from a difference of ~4 to ~10. Is that normal?

I have a stock 18 intake and both filters were OEM motorcrafts.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I can offer is that something got moved / dislodged.

Here is how my intake came from the factory :

1614168140739.png

i.e. dislodged on the upper left side. Although the photo doesn't show it well due to the angle, it allows hot engine bay air to enter all around that top left hand corner.

Heres how it looks now :

1614168198525.png

There are barbs on the intake and filter box that should snap together to hold the two items snuggly in place.

Hope you get it sorted :like:

WD :like:

1614168124863.png

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's your imagination.

Tons of things affect IATs, you can't look at a 6 degree difference as some massive change.

When the car is cold, the IATs should be at ambient air temp. Get the engine hot, on a sunny day, sit at a light or in traffic, and you can see a 30, 40 or even higher degrees difference.

Stop obsessing.

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
It's your imagination.

Tons of things affect IATs, you can't look at a 6 degree difference as some massive change.

When the car is cold, the IATs should be at ambient air temp. Get the engine hot, on a sunny day, sit at a light or in traffic, and you can see a 30, 40 or even higher degrees difference.

Stop obsessing.
I mean it's not my imagination since the numbers are actually different. I didn't think it was something serious, it was just something I noticed and wanted to ask about.

The only thing I can offer is that something got moved / dislodged.

Here is how my intake came from the factory :

1614168140739.png

i.e. dislodged on the upper left side. Although the photo doesn't show it well due to the angle, it allows hot engine bay air to enter all around that top left hand corner.

Heres how it looks now :

1614168198525.png

There are barbs on the intake and filter box that should snap together to hold the two items snuggly in place.

Hope you get it sorted :like:

WD :like:

1614168124863.png
The 3 barbs that face the front are in place and the 2 clips went on.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hotter in Cali-for-ni-a lately ?

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I mean it's not my imagination since the numbers are actually different. I didn't think it was something serious, it was just something I noticed and wanted to ask about.
Those number vary massively. Gigantically. Right at start up, there should be 0 degrees difference between ambient and IATs. And then 20 minutes later there could be a 45 degree difference between ambient and IATs.

If you had been paying attention to IATs before, you would know this, would understand the variables that cause those numbers to fluctuate.

This is completely and utterly normal. I've seen IATs around 140+ degrees when it's been 90 degrees outside, I didn't post a thread about it because I know these number fluctuate massively, and for many very obvious reasons.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
i have the same issue with my tire pressure... 5 minutes after start driving the pressure goes up... what should i do? I've been thinking about removing air from the tires while driving so i'm always at 32

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
i have the same issue with my tire pressure... 5 minutes after start driving the pressure goes up... what should i do? I've been thinking about removing air from the tires while driving so i'm always at 32
Are you being serious or facetious? I can't tell.

If serious, then you should inflate to the rating on the door when cold and leave them be.

If facetious then just ignore me...

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Are you being serious or facetious? I can't tell.

If serious, then you should inflate to the rating on the door when cold and leave them be.

If facetious then just ignore me...
Who knows with this group. Anyways : Always inflate to what it says on the door jamb. Those engineers took all variables into account, Air vs Nitrogen, ambient temps, etc., and came up with the psi for the tires.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Who knows with this group. Anyways : Always inflate to what it says on the door jamb. Those engineers took all variables into account, Air vs Nitrogen, ambient temps, etc., and came up with the psi for the tires.
Advice may not apply for offroading, drag racing, or hypermiling. There are always trade off involved.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Advice may not apply for offroading, drag racing, or hypermiling. There are always trade off involved.

Yep, the door tire pressures are the best compromise for ride quality, tire life, fuel mileage and grip.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
How and when are you comparing the prior and current values?

Were they on 2 days that had the same exact ambient temperature? Was the engine temperature the same for both instances? Did you drive the same exact roads and at the same exact speed in both instances?

As others have mentioned, there are lots of variables that lead to IATs. Comparing IATs today to IATs a few days ago is apples to oranges. Comparing IATs on one road to IATs on another road is again apples to oranges as you may have different speeds and cars in front of you. If you idled longer at a light than before that could cause a difference.

Only thing I would say as someone else eluded to is to check that all connections are tight and no engine bay air is getting in. Other than that, a simple filter change will not make a difference in IATs.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my engine filter on Sunday and the difference between outside temp and intake temp changed from a difference of ~4 to ~10. Is that normal?
Yes.
My IATs are usually between 3-5C above ambient, unless its the middle of the summer...
3-5C translates to about 5 - 10F. Nothing wrong here....
Sponsored