Sponsored

Non-CFTP 4, 5 or 6 point harness?

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
Anyone here have a non-CFTP GT500 that you have gotten a 4, 5 or 6 racing harness in? I can get a CFTP in 2021's allocation... but it's not just a track car, it's a weekend cruiser too, and I kinda think the wife will kill me without the creature comforts of the non-CFTP... BUT - without the Recaro seats - I think a proper harness is like the BMW guys use that goes over the shoulders and down to the rear seat-belts. I just haven't seen anything for the GT500. Installing a cage is out of the question...

If someone has a setup and wouldn't mind sharing photos - that would be GREAT! I have a 4pt Schroth harness in my C7 Z06 for the speeds the car hits... figure I want the same protection and the ability to wear my HANS if I go GT500... with the 2021 CF Handling Pack option.

Input / photos / what you have seen people run would be super helpful!
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You do know Recaro's can be had in any GT500, yes?

No cage? Have you looked into S550 harness bars?

OP
OP
fishpick

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do know Recaro's can be had in any GT500, yes?
Yes - but my understanding is - the heating / cooling / etc... those creature comforts go away with them...

No cage? Have you looked into S550 harness bars?
I have a harnessbar in my C7... kind was hoping no bar install at all - like Schroth has those over your shoulders to the back seat belt connection harnesses... just dunno if anyone has used them in a new GT500...

I know I'm splitting hairs here - I want a track car... and I want a car the wife will not be unhappy about comfort and ask me why I have al lthis stuff installed in... very aware you can't really have both... just trying to understand what others have done who track their non CFTP GT500...

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I use the Schroth 4pt system as it is accepted by NASA and every HPDE group I have run with. Much safer than the stock system. Works great with the HANS — No issues there.
Also, just order the belts for the 2016 GT350 and add this buckle to the rear seat: FR3Z-6360044-AB. The rest works fine.
It’s the rear inboard buckle receiver that Ford changed. If you add this older style female connecter to the one that is already there, it works just fine and the original belts still work.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This part is from my GT350 order (red), and a pix of my GT350 install. My GT500 is identical except I got the belts in gray/silver.
FFB7629A-945F-49FC-901C-6D1E89A08BFF.jpeg
660E6E77-EDDD-425B-8A9D-C35D3D0F5B22.jpeg

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I use the Schroth 4pt system as it is accepted by NASA and every HPDE group I have run with. Much safer than the stock system. Works great with the HANS — No issues there.
Also, just order the belts for the 2016 GT350 and add this buckle to the rear seat: FR3Z-6360044-AB. The rest works fine.
It’s the rear inboard buckle receiver that Ford changed. If you add this older style female connecter to the one that is already there, it works just fine and the original belts still work.
I also have the 4pts Schroth harness but without the additional 5 or 6 pts harness, it’s pretty useless.
As you tighten the shoulders belts, the lap belts are pulled up
Anyhow, I got a racing seat in my gt and added the crotch belts

OP
OP
fishpick

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have the 4pts Schroth harness but without the additional 5 or 6 pts harness, it’s pretty useless.
As you tighten the shoulders belts, the lap belts are pulled up
Anyhow, I got a racing seat in my gt and added the crotch belts
I dunno - I have the 4pt in my car now - if I tighten the laps across - THEN tighten the shoulders - the laps don't "stretch" up - and the breakaway design of the Schroth's "roll" you in a collision like the 3pt would so you don't squirt out the bottom.
I also have the under the hip loops to make it a 6pt to the anchors for the lap - for the one group locally that won't allow 4pts.

All that said - I do know a couple "more rounder" gentlemen that can't get the 4pt design to work for them... so - it's body shape that impacts that a bit I think!

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I dunno - I have the 4pt in my car now - if I tighten the laps across - THEN tighten the shoulders - the laps don't "stretch" up - and the breakaway design of the Schroth's "roll" you in a collision like the 3pt would so you don't squirt out the bottom.
I also have the under the hip loops to make it a 6pt to the anchors for the lap - for the one group locally that won't allow 4pts.

All that said - I do know a couple "more rounder" gentlemen that can't get the 4pt design to work for them... so - it's body shape that impacts that a bit I think!
Useless was maybe too strong of a word but without a belt holding the lap belts in place, they obviously are pulled up as you tighten the shoulders belts

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Btw, The type of Recaro seats that are an option in Mustang are pretty useless, they are not racing seats at all. A “racing” seat without a crotch opening is an oxymoron
So a good option for you could be to get the regular seats for the wife and daily driving and get a driver real racing seat for when you go to the track. It’s only 4 bolts and a few minutes to change seats

Last edited:

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw, The type of Recaro seats that are an option in Mustang are pretty useless, they are not racing seats at all. A “racing” seat without a crotch opening is an oxymoron
I wish the Recaros had a slot for the 5/6 pt belts. But they don’t. The 4 pt works fine for me (doesn’t ride up on me if I tighten the lower belts first).
The 4 pt is sooo much better than the stock system. And I use a HANS as well.
I did put a race seat in an older Mustang once, and that was the right approach along with a 6pt system. But for the occasional HPDE, the Recaro’s & Schroth 4pt system is just right.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I wish the Recaros had a slot for the 5/6 pt belts. But they don’t. The 4 pt works fine for me (doesn’t ride up on me if I tighten the lower belts first).
I did put a race seat in an older Mustang once, and that was the right approach along with a 6pt system. But for the occasional HPDE, the Recaro’s & Schroth 4pt system is just right.
No doubt than the Schroth hold you in place a 1000 time better than the stock 3 pts

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I agree. I just finished installing the Watson lightweight roll cage into the car yesterday. The color of my old 4pt Profi II ASM is red. I can't do it. Now I have to plop $750 smacks down for another set of black harnesses.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. I just finished installing the Watson lightweight roll cage into the car yesterday. The color of my old 4pt Profi II ASM is red. I can't do it. Now I have to plop $750 smacks down for another set of black harnesses.
I went with the silver as it matches the seat trim...
Sponsored