2020 GT500 non-CFTP

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hey all. Going to check out a 2020 GT500, non-CFTP this weekend. Shadow black, no stripe, tech pack with the CF interior. Not my first color choice but throw on some Kona (or close to it) stripes and it would look killer to me. Has about 16k miles on it.

Anyway, I’ve read a bunch of the various threads here and have a pretty good handle on what to look for with these cars but wanted to know if there’s anything in particular with the 2020’s I should be on the lookout for. I know there’s a few TSB’s for the 2020’s, anything else to be aware of? Dealer said they can run the Oasis report for me if I like the car.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
The 2020s had different TSBs than the 2022s from my knowledge. Chain tensioner verse valve covers and all had BCM.

The 3 years are all pretty similar.

Not that it applies to your exact question, but just in case you forget...

16k is a bit more mileage than most I've seen on these cars but not crazy.

Look for signs of modification: Exhaust original? Underbody belly scrapes? OEM Springs, CAI? Extended warranty or still in warranty? Owners kit complete with tool kit and serial plate? Carfax on top of Oasis, tire wear, does it pull when braking? The steering wheels are expensive, is the original all nasty?

Splitter wickers, gurney, catch can present if an HP optioned car? A catch can installed on a non HP car?

Check for chips in that windshield. Qiality PPF? Touch up paint spots? Curbed wheels?

Let us know!

Black with blue stripes 😁👍
20240318_183519.jpg

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Hey all. Going to check out a 2020 GT500, non-CFTP this weekend. Shadow black, no stripe, tech pack with the CF interior. Not my first color choice but throw on some Kona (or close to it) stripes and it would look killer to me. Has about 16k miles on it.

Anyway, I’ve read a bunch of the various threads here and have a pretty good handle on what to look for with these cars but wanted to know if there’s anything in particular with the 2020’s I should be on the lookout for. I know there’s a few TSB’s for the 2020’s, anything else to be aware of? Dealer said they can run the Oasis report for me if I like the car.

Thanks!
Kona, Silver, or Carbonized Gray stripes would set it TF off. Not a fan of red pin stripes next to the stripes. Just doesn't look right on a 500.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The 2020s had different TSBs than the 2022s from my knowledge. Chain tensioner verse valve covers and all had BCM.

The 3 years are all pretty similar.

Not that it applies to your exact question, but just in case you forget...

16k is a bit more mileage than most I've seen on these cars but not crazy.

Look for signs of modification: Exhaust original? Underbody belly scrapes? OEM Springs, CAI? Extended warranty or still in warranty? Owners kit complete with tool kit and serial plate? Carfax on top of Oasis, tire wear, does it pull when braking? The steering wheels are expensive, is the original all nasty?

Splitter wickers, gurney, catch can present if an HP optioned car? A catch can installed on a non HP car?

Check for chips in that windshield. Qiality PPF? Touch up paint spots? Curbed wheels?

Let us know!

Black with blue stripes 😁👍
20240318_183519.jpg
Thanks Tony. I’m not afraid of some mileage, I almost prefer it to a wrapper car (or near wrapper) at this point. I plan on driving it as much as I can as well, so it’ll get plenty of miles from me.

And your R (as well as others with black/Kona stripes) is the reason I’d consider a Shadow Black car. I love that combo even though black isn’t my fave (the Grabber colors are my top 3).

The asking price is a little higher than I’ve seen lately for non-CFTP cars with similar miles (as you say, not many but there were a few around here that recently sold). They’ve had it a little while now so we’ll see how anxious they are to move it.

Pictures all look good and the CarFax is clean, so we’ll see what it looks like up close and personal.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Kona, Silver, or Carbonized Gray stripes would set it TF off. Not a fan of red pin stripes next to the stripes. Just doesn't look right on a 500.
Hmmm, now you’ve got me thinking. Carbonized could look really good. Might have to do some forum searching for some pics…

MX915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500, 2022 Mustang GT Premium
I believe there were issues with the transmission cooler lines leaking where they connect to the trans on some 2020 models. Probably worth checking that area while car is on a lift if you can.

If its an HP car, check and see if it comes with the adjutable shock mounts in addition the the items others mentioned above. They were not factory installed on the 2020 models so either will need to check the top of the struts to see if they were installed of if they're loose somewhere with the car.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Last edited:

mw6886

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If its an HP car, check and see if it comes with the adjutable shock mounts in addition the the items others mentioned above. They were not factory installed on the 2020 models so either will need to check the top of the struts to see if they were installed of if they're loose somewhere with the car.
2020 DId not come with the adjustable strut mounts, regardless of package.

Sponsored

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
2020 GT500 CFTP came with the adjustable strut top mounts. They were dealer installed for part of 2020 but later on they became factory installed. Same was true for the GT3350R.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
Sometime around Feb 2020 the handling package for the GT500 got the adjustable strut top mounts that were dealer installed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Interesting. Was not aware of that.
Mine did. I had to unpin them, but yes, they were included.

Mags,

Just go over the car like you would any other. Put it on a lift if you know what you are looking for. All the suggestions so far are very good. 16k miles isn't crazy hight, but it reflects the car was used almost as a daily. 5k ish per year is about what we put on our DD's.

Most techs are able to determine if the car has been tuned. Make sure there is no pulley and all that stuff. CAI wouldn't bother me, but I'd prefer bone stock.

If it was garage kept, the aluminum should not be oxidizing quite yet.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mine did. I had to unpin them, but yes, they were included.

Mags,

Just go over the car like you would any other. Put it on a lift if you know what you are looking for. All the suggestions so far are very good. 16k miles isn't crazy hight, but it reflects the car was used almost as a daily. 5k ish per year is about what we put on our DD's.

Most techs are able to determine if the car has been tuned. Make sure there is no pulley and all that stuff. CAI wouldn't bother me, but I'd prefer bone stock.

If it was garage kept, the aluminum should not be oxidizing quite yet.
Yeah most folks that store these cars for winter here put them away towards the end of October/early November and get them out late March/early April, so 7-7.5 months of driving weather. Assuming that’s the case, it is a good amount of miles, most likely a daily (or close to it) as you say. I put about 7k/year on my GT as a true all year daily. As long as it was well maintained and not beat to shit (harder to tell unless there’s something noticeable on the test drive), I’m ok with that kind of mileage.

If it was driven on our salt laden roads, that will be easy for me to spot as I know it all too well. I don’t mind it for my GT, but this is a car I would plan to keep for a long time and eventually give to my son. So not being driven on the salted roads is a bigger deal for me on this kind of car. I will be requesting they put it up on the rack so I can look underneath the car.

Good tip on the pulley, I had forgotten about that, will add it to my list. Thanks @MX915 for the tip on the trans cooler line, on my list as well.
Sponsored