Sponsored

How many GTs are Owned by Seniors?

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Will be 66 come September. Am taking delivery of my ordered 2020 GT/CS convertible next week. First Mustang I had was a '69 Boss 302. Bought it with the money I made selling my tobacco crop that year. Man do I wish I still had that car.
Great for you Sir!..I hope it's a nice trouble-free example like I have been lucky to have these past 5 years..
Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I'd say these days the senior status could be well classified..something like pre, early, mid and late with maybe age being the defining factor...At a soon to be 53 I think I'm close enough to be such..not saying it's a title I've longed for but if I count my current health I feel most times like I have arrived lol..funny thing about organizations like AARP is I started getting mailers from them at age 51..sounds like they are putting a feeler out there to do some reassessments of age beginnings of the senior citizen title..
Don't be in such a hurry. Just turned 66 last month. AARP will bug the $hit out of you. Think they went down in popularity since they supported Obamacare.

yellow dog 62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS Convertible
Your vert sounds like a nice car. What options and color?
It's Iconic silver GT Premium with the California Special package with the 401A group. It has the B&O sound system and 10speed auto with 3.55 rears and active exhaust.

Reactions: lew

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - This forum discussion brings up an interesting question and that is what is a senior citizen nowadays. Early on it was essentially older retired people with no specific assigned age. In addition, life expectancy was much shorter then, resulting in a limited number of people who were viewed as “seniors”. AARP probably has the most lax definition, but we know that’s because they want to enroll as many dues paying members as possible. It’s safe to say that originally it was not below age 60. With the advent of senior citizen discounts and meaningless sales every day of the year, the marketing aspect has dropped it down into the 50s with age 55 being the lowest generally accepted age qualification. At my pharmacy we settled on 62 since that was the earliest age when one could apply for traditional Social Security benefits. For most folks Medicare has age 65 as its criterion, but politics may soon change that with the push for Medicare for all. Personally I was never in a hurry to become a senior citizen, but now I’m there it’s okay. Others may feel differently. I’m not raising this issue for purposes of defining our forum, but because I’m 78 I’m viewing some of the participants as youngsters and it just made me ponder the question of what really is a senior citizen. Maybe there should be stages with people like me being called an old geezer in stead of senior citizen. Then there are those who reach the age where the kids hide the car keys on them. They say you’re only as old as you feel - until you look in the mirror. All I know is that my senior years have been a hoot thus far. Just food for thought... Bruce
Hi - The wife and I just turned 76 and 78 respectively in January. Other than some achy joints, in particular our knees, we’re hanging in there and looking forward to Spring so we can resume our day tripping in the Bullitt we bought last April. It took all these years for me to finally figure out why I was putting money into an IRA way back when... Bruce

CA153C36-84E5-484F-A427-610E9D680349.jpeg

Cwood8656

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A, 2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner double cab
63 years old here. I’ve always loved fast cars, and now I can afford them!

Chris-

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
63 years old here. I’ve always loved fast cars, and now I can afford them!

Chris-
Hi - You know you’re old when the dealership offers you a 6 month payment plan as the only alternative to paying cash up front... Bruce

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hi - This forum discussion brings up an interesting question and that is what is a senior citizen nowadays. Early on it was essentially older retired people with no specific assigned age. In addition, life expectancy was much shorter then, resulting in a limited number of people who were viewed as “seniors”. AARP probably has the most lax definition, but we know that’s because they want to enroll as many dues paying members as possible. It’s safe to say that originally it was not below age 60. With the advent of senior citizen discounts and meaningless sales every day of the year, the marketing aspect has dropped it down into the 50s with age 55 being the lowest generally accepted age qualification. At my pharmacy we settled on 62 since that was the earliest age when one could apply for traditional Social Security benefits. For most folks Medicare has age 65 as its criterion, but politics may soon change that with the push for Medicare for all. Personally I was never in a hurry to become a senior citizen, but now I’m there it’s okay. Others may feel differently. I’m not raising this issue for purposes of defining our forum, but because I’m 78 I’m viewing some of the participants as youngsters and it just made me ponder the question of what really is a senior citizen. Maybe there should be stages with people like me being called an old geezer in stead of senior citizen. Then there are those who reach the age where the kids hide the car keys on them. They say you’re only as old as you feel - until you look in the mirror. All I know is that my senior years have been a hoot thus far. Just food for thought... Bruce
Since member 'hiccup' floated the 'how can we subclassify seniors' sub-topic back up . . .

At 72 I know what you're getting at about some of the participants here seeming like 'youngsters'. Maybe it's become a bit more apparent having realized that my son turns 49 in a couple of months, and that back in the 1980's when he was into BMX racing all of the kids a few years either side of his age then were all . . . just kids. It's an association that refuses to go away even though he becomes AARP-eligible in 2021.

As far as trying to establish even rough age groups to subcategories, I think there would have to be some overlap. And that individual perceptions probably have a component in family history of longevity as well as in general health.

Even though I'm coming up on 8 years of retirement (actually, about a year laid off prior to hitting the Social Security definition of full retirement), I don't give the fact that I'm at some level of senior-ness much thought, much less let age as a number become its own restriction. My Dad was like that, still did things like sweat-soldering his own plumbing modifications at age 90 because he still could.

Norm

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
It's Iconic silver GT Premium with the California Special package with the 401A group. It has the B&O sound system and 10speed auto with 3.55 rears and active exhaust.
Very nice, Jerry.
Now that I have owned my Ruby Red GT for 8 mos. I am sorta wishing I ordered a color that required less attention to finish. Iconic silver was my second choice. Still questioning the decision about getting the A10 over the 6spd, and not getting the active exh.

Have fun in that vert!

yellow dog 62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS Convertible
Very nice, Jerry.
Now that I have owned my Ruby Red GT for 8 mos. I am sorta wishing I ordered a color that required less attention to finish. Iconic silver was my second choice. Still questioning the decision about getting the A10 over the 6spd, and not getting the active exh.

Have fun in that vert!
Thanks, can't wait to put the top down and make some noise. Less attention is exactly why we ordered the iconic silver. I thought about the 6 speed but I'm getting lazy in my old age.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I'll be 74 in July. Mine is a Ruby Red 2015 GT with the performance pack. It is garaged all winter but comes out when temps warm up in the spring. It also isn't driven in the rain. It still looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As a manual driver and only 48, I would like to know if any seniors opt for the manual. Please tell me that I will not deviate from the manual fun (for as long as Ford makes one) in my later years!!

Here's to hoping...

Thank you all of you for keeping the Mustang around

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
As a senior citizen I'm curious-how many other old guys are buying Mustang GTs? When I traded in my E350 (for my 19 GT) the look on the salesman's face was priceless.
I'm wondering how much of an anomaly I might be and if not, how many other "older enthusiasts" are enjoying their GTs?
I get questions constantly at the car wash (typically from Audi and Beemer owners) "Sir is that your car? How do you like it?" Translation - why the hell is an oldtimer like you driving that?
It's simple - you're never too old to enjoy a well balanced platform that brings a smile to your face each time you press that button. The active exhaust simply enhances the experience.
W
I'll be 75 this coming summer. My Mustang is a 2017 GT performance package with upgraded exhaust and cold-air. I also write a Harley. Not a beggar either.
20190907_071801.jpg

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I'd take the manual if that's what's in the car I want. The new to me '16 has an A6, but the freebie VMP blower is what made the sale. You gotta have your priorities. If I can still drive a manual comfortably when I'm oldphart's age I'll count myself blessed.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Very nice, Jerry.

Have fun in that vert!
Hi - Buying the Bullitt eliminated most of those difficult choices for me - color, tranny, exhaust, etc. Actually, the green color was a very real factor in drawing me away from a GT to the Bullitt and I prefer a stick shift in spite of the old knees. I was planning my purchase of a GT and I remember flip flopping between colors as well as options before the first promotional photos of the Bullitt were released... Bruce

69BC329D-F5FC-413B-8735-36441AE85E49.jpeg

Reactions: lew

judg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm 66 and recently purchased a 2019 GT 6M. Last year when I bought my Kawasaki Z900RS my insurance agent said "what next!"
Now she knows.
Sponsored