How many miles are too many miles

Carlos5.02gen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
I have a question I'm looking to buy a 2016 mustang 5.0 it has 85k miles and the price seems to be a good deal they are asking 18k im just wondering is 85k miles too many and how many miles can the engine last I don't know much about the new 5.0 I have a 05 gt and I want to get a new one what do yall think
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I have a question I'm looking to buy a 2016 mustang 5.0 it has 85k miles and the price seems to be a good deal they are asking 18k im just wondering is 85k miles too many and how many miles can the engine last I don't know much about the new 5.0 I have a 05 gt and I want to get a new one what do yall think
Roughly 21k miles a year, that's a lot but most likely freeway/hwy miles. Get a pre buyers inspection from a reputable place and you'll know what you're getting into. Also surf around on the net to see what replacement parts cost for that year of car. If it's a manual transmission, see how much a clutch replacement is for sure. If it doesn't need one now, it will eventually.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How many miles do you drive per year and how long are you keeping the car?

Paying cash or financing?

I wouldn’t finance a car with that high of a loan with those mileage. It’s value will tank and you’ll be upside down for a while. If you come up to the lower $20-$23k range you’ll probably find something with a lot less mileage and probably a better interest rate.

If you’re paying cash and you’re happy with the car and OK with the mileage, go for it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Even at 85k, you can still source a Ford ESP from Flood Ford for coverage up to 120k or 150k (whichever is the highest available these days). There’s also other reputable extended warranty companies through Credit Unions or widely sourced online.

As for fair pricing, go onto www.cargurus.com, open the distance location up to all of US, insert make/model/year and set other filters as needed; you’ll get a shitton of returned hits. You’ll easily see fair market values from Dealerships or private sale ads.

If the car is on a Ford Dealership lot, ask the Salesman to provide you with the Ford OASIS report. This report will contain all Warranty and regular service history as long as the vehicle was serviced at any US Ford Dealership.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I would be wary about any car with 85,000 miles. Honestly without knowing the cars history I would stay away. Sure the engine if properly serviced can go well beyond 100k but what about wear and tear items for the rest of the car? These items will will add up quickly. Spend a little more and get a car with less miles.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
How many miles do you drive per year and how long are you keeping the car?

The Question you need the answer : its not how many miles the car has on it, but how many miles are you going to put on it.

My wife drives 5k a year so a 80k used car will last her a life time. I drive 25k a year so a 80k used car will last me three years maybe.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I think you should get a new one.

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
I've had good luck with high mileage used cars. They tend to be freeway miles which are very easy on the car, and they should bring the price down. If the compression check is good, it hasn't been in an accident and it seems sound mechanically, it can be a good way to go.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I've had good luck with high mileage used cars. They tend to be freeway miles which are very easy on the car, and they should bring the price down. If the compression check is good, it hasn't been in an accident and it seems sound mechanically, it can be a good way to go.
Agreed, but we are talking about a Mustang GT.
There are deals out there to be had on lower mileage cars. Just need to search for them.
As an example.....
6AD7D6EB-B1C3-4501-9C9A-F0482EF855F8.png

Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the past a car was considered worn out at 100,000 miles. Not anymore though.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Condition of car is more important than miles on odometer. If there's excessive wear for the mileage on interior components and lots of scratches and dings on the exterior, I would assume the engine hasn't been taken care of either (oil changes/air filters/other maintenance).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
used car prices are heavily distorted (very high). you should be able to get a new one for a far better deal. The car industry is in dire trouble and they'll do anything to get units sold and off the books. There is nothing wrong with 30k miles a year - guy probably had a long commute. But the pie needs to be VERY good.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Somewhat high not overly.

Get it checked out by a mechanic. These cars can run a long time if taken care of.
Sponsored