Sponsored

Gt350 or C8

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Wow, guys are touchy and can't handle the truth. 60K puts it in the same catagory...
You will get nothing but stupid comments from the 'squad" if you say anything about a chevy is good or better. And it will always be the 'last generation' as well. See how it goes if you even mention the 'crapmaro'.....
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I do think that the low/no options C8 and the high options Mustangs compete with each other. There are definitely lots of reasons people could choose one or the other.

-direct injection only on Chevy V8 is a concern
-loose rattling tops on C8 like the C7?
-no manual transmission is a definite no-go for me
-some people won't like the small cabin and low seats in the 'vette

-chassis on the Corvette should be significantly better than the Mustang
-cool factor of mid-engine
-DCT shifts fast
-mid engine lots of traction even with all season tires
-no $25k rental cars that look the same as the 'vette

But I think without driving a C8 it's hard to be certain which one you will like the best - unless one of the design factors already rules either the Mustang or Corvette out for you without even driving one. I'd like to drive one someday even though I'm not a buyer. Definitely if GM puts a manual in the C8 eventually I would become interested.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I picked up a new 350 last week. I gave serious consideration to holdout for the C8 but decided to move forward with the Shelby for a number of reasons.

1. I wanted something with a backseat. My wife and I go to Tahoe and Carmel a fair amount for long weekends and vacations and it is great to be able to throw extra bags and jackets in the backseat. I also need something that can haul around a guitar or two in a hardshell case along with an amp.
  2. The $60k base price makes great headlines, but I know that I would go for a fair amount of upgrades and performance packages. My guess is that a car spec'd with my desired level of options would run close to $80k.
  3. I wanted to go back to a manual. I have historically driven manuals with the exception of my last two cars (BMW M2 with DCT and Porsche with PDK). Don't get me wrong, those dual clutches are fantastic; however, I do enjoy rowing my own. With the way things are going in the industry, who knows how much longer we will have that option.
  4. First year gremlins. I know that GM has improved their quality over the years; however, I am always a bit reluctant to go with the first year of an all new design (regardless of mfr). The C8 platform is a radical departure for GM and the car has a lot of new/unproven hardware (e.g., the transmission).
I have no doubt that the C8 will be a great car. For me the Shelby was the right choice.
Les Paul guitar 58 re-issue in a historic case and a GT1000 unit fit fine in the back of a GT350 with the seat folded down....

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I have been a die-hard Ford and Mustang guy my whole life. That said, I'm tired of buying high end Mustangs that are built to the same quality standard as the 20K ecoboost Mustang.

From a price vs. performance perspective, I can't see why anyone would choose a GT350 or GT500 over the C8. A 2LT C8 with the Z51 package will probably be around 69-70K. Not much more than a GT350 and probably less than most people paid for their R. It is certainly going to be cheaper than the GT500. ...and it will outperform all of them.

The C8 just made the GT350, GT350R and the GT500 obsolete. It'd be different if the Mustangs were at a significantly lower price point, but they aren't.

So, I say C8 all the way.

Fpetro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Shelby gt350 Saleen S 281
There was a video posted yesterday of a rapid blue c8 launching at a traffic light, that 0-60 in 3 secs might not be far off.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There was a video posted yesterday of a rapid blue c8 launching at a traffic light, that 0-60 in 3 secs might not be far off.
Seemed like the tires were spinning quite a bit. Probably ~5.5 0-60 from what I could tell. I expected better, but maybe only the all seasons have so little grip.

I have been a die-hard Ford and Mustang guy my whole life. That said, I'm tired of buying high end Mustangs that are built to the same quality standard as the 20K ecoboost Mustang.
So you expect the Corvette to be high build quality?

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST

Wizo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R; 2019 Raptor; 2018 GX470
I say get a GT350R right now and wait for the Z06. In my opinion the C8 looks alright but does not give me the same feel as the R. I am sure once I see a Z06 it will be a little different.

I also believe its best never to get a launch year car. Once they have had it on the road for 16 months then you will find out what improvements will be made for the 2021 and that’s the car to get.

For me - this was not a daily car and more of an enthusiast purchase, meaning I wanted a more raw and fun experience. There are so many options out there but not many really gave me the same feeling of really driving a car as my gt350 has. A lot of GT3 owners who begged Porsche to come back with a manual are very happy now that they can row gears again vs. pulling paddles. I just think the GT350 still has that fun built in and the Porsche will feel more robotic.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That said, I'm tired of buying high end Mustangs that are built to the same quality standard as the 20K ecoboost Mustang
If your expecting better build quality with a chevy boy are you going to be disappointed

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
I have to say my Grand Sport interior is nicer than my GT350 is or my GT premium was. But they really are apples and oranges. But my GT350 gives me a bigger woody.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, guys are touchy and can't handle the truth. 60K puts it in the same catagory...
You will get nothing but stupid comments from the 'squad" if you say anything about a chevy is good or better. And it will always be the 'last generation' as well. See how it goes if you even mention the 'crapmaro'.....
USC90BMS191A021001.png

BMW X5

$58,900 STARTING MSRP
2018-E-WAGON-AV-LN.png
E-Class Wagon

Starting at $64,200 *

The quintessential luxury wagon has versatility and innovations to spare.

In the same class as the c8 and GT500

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ok by your logic Bullitt number one sold for $300.000.00 so it is in the same class with Lamborghini, Ferrari and McLaren. So that would also put the c8 in the same class as the Mercedes E class coupe and the Mercedes E class wagon along with the BMW 535 Grand Turismo and the BMW X5.
Ummm, no, not anyone can walk into a dealer and buy Bulitt Number 1, but you can walk into a dealer and choose C8 or Shelby for the same money.

And unless you are saying that the Shelby and the C8 aren't both performance cars, you have no argument vs station wagon's, or as pointed out earlier, pick up trucks that cost 60K+.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Love the C8. Love my GT350. When I first bought the Shelby, in my mind, I thought it would stand the test of time just due to how unique it is. 3 years later, it still rings true, there's nothing like it from any manufacturer that combines high revving NA V8 performance with a great manual trans.

I'd love to have both, but I wouldn't give up my GT350 for one. I'd rather add a Miata to the stable than to sell the GT350 and throw money on top of it for the C8.

One thing is for sure, Chevy absolutely did shit on the entire car world with a sub-60k legit mid engine sports car.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ummm, no, not anyone can walk into a dealer and buy Bulitt Number 1, but you can walk into a dealer and choose C8 or Shelby for the same money.

And unless you are saying that the Shelby and the C8 aren't both performance cars, you have no argument vs station wagon's, or as pointed out earlier, pick up trucks that cost 60K+.
Your argument is that since the Shelby and the c8 are the same price they are in the same class. I am just illustrating that being the same price doesn't make these cars in the same class of cars.