Sponsored

2020 GT350R vs C8 Track

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Yea I’ve seen this video. The suspension on the R is better than the C8 but being mid engine would change the game. Tires would be a factor and course. It would be close
Speed Phenom has a C8 on order. I’m sure he’ll have a comparison video between the gt350R, gt500, and C8 as soon as he takes delivery.
Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
The C8 weighs less than the GT350R and will eat the 350R for lunch. I don't know the fascination of comparing the two cars since they are entirely different, different markets, different type of car. The guys on the Corvette forum are losing their minds because of a drag race between a GT500 and a C8 where the 500 was a full 1 second faster. Duh, 750 vs 495 horsepower. A C8 Z51 with 4S tires stayed with a GT500 at VIR on the same tire with Randy Pobst driving. It took the Carbon fiber track package with Cup2 tires to bury the C8 while the track map showed the C8 outrunning the 500 in the twisties and the superior speed of the 750 HP pulling away on the long straights to make the difference. To me at least that is nothing to brag about.

OP
OP
WesS

WesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
The C8 weighs less than the GT350R and will eat the 350R for lunch. I don't know the fascination of comparing the two cars since they are entirely different, different markets, different type of car. The guys on the Corvette forum are losing their minds because of a drag race between a GT500 and a C8 where the 500 was a full 1 second faster. Duh, 750 vs 495 horsepower. A C8 Z51 with 4S tires stayed with a GT500 at VIR on the same tire with Randy Pobst driving. It took the Carbon fiber track package with Cup2 tires to bury the C8 while the track map showed the C8 outrunning the 500 in the twisties and the superior speed of the 750 HP pulling away on the long straights to make the difference. To me at least that is nothing to brag about.
C8 ran the Nurburgring in 7:28 and a 2016 R ran it in 7:32 so a 5 year old R ran it in 4 seconds slower. I think it would be closer than thought of.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
C8 ran the Nurburgring in 7:28 and a 2016 R ran it in 7:32 so a 5 year old R ran it in 4 seconds slower. I think it would be closer than thought of.
Nothing significant has been done to make the R 4 seconds faster. Also time, temp, weather, you name it has a significant impact on the time of a run and so a comparison from 4 years ago couldn't be accurate.

OP
OP
WesS

WesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Nothing significant has been done to make the R 4 seconds faster. Also time, temp, weather, you name it has a significant impact on the time of a run and so a comparison from 4 years ago couldn't be accurate.
Change in suspension and aero. Maybe not a 4 second upgrade but I think it would be close.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WesS

WesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
@WesS Are you having buyers remorse?

I would avoid getting too caught up in comparing cars, you will only stay on top for so long....
Not at all! I put in the back seat in my R for nieces/nephews. I love how I never see the R and how it’s a manual and 5.2FPC. It’s decently a drivers car! I love it. Just was curious how it compares the the C8

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Negative Ghost rider. The C8 lost by how much at VIR? Over 1 second. so tell me, if the 350R is a second slower then the C8, is that eating lunch? That's not keeping up. That's to the base GT500. The GT350R also handles better then the GT500 with less HP. All this bench racing. I love it when someone says one car will eat the other on a road course like they drive themselves

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Negative Ghost rider. The C8 lost by how much at VIR? Over 1 second. so tell me, if the 350R is a second slower then the C8, is that eating lunch? That's not keeping up. That's to the base GT500. The GT350R also handles better then the GT500 with less HP. All this bench racing. I love it when someone says one car will eat the other on a road course like they drive themselves
I'm not sure where the 350R is 1 second slower than the C8 came from. It is 1 second slower than the base GT500 on the same tires. The C8 hasn't been tested with Cup2 tires that I know of so all these comparisons are apples and oranges. I'm also not sure where you got the GT350R is faster than the GT500 except on that tight little autocross course. I'm willing to bet that a C8 on Cup2 tires will easily defeat the 350R. It's all conjecture until the same driver drives both cars on the same course on the same day. Not sure what the "like they drive themselves" means either. I'm no expert and don't pretend to be but I did BMW Club racing for 7 years and won a national championship, and I'm a certified BMWCCA HPDE instructor and so I feel I have a passing knowledge of road racing.

OP
OP
WesS

WesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
I'm not sure where the 350R is 1 second slower than the C8 came from. It is 1 second slower than the base GT500 on the same tires. The C8 hasn't been tested with Cup2 tires that I know of so all these comparisons are apples and oranges. I'm also not sure where you got the GT350R is faster than the GT500 except on that tight little autocross course. I'm willing to bet that a C8 on Cup2 tires will easily defeat the 350R. It's all conjecture until the same driver drives both cars on the same course on the same day. Not sure what the "like they drive themselves" means either. I'm no expert and don't pretend to be but I did BMW Club racing for 7 years and won a national championship, and I'm a certified BMWCCA HPDE instructor and so I feel I have a passing knowledge of road racing.
I know it was comparing apples to oranges I was just wondering what stock 2020 R vs stock C8 would be.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I'm trying to understand what eat its lunch means in your post. I said IF the GT350R was a second slower, would that qualify for lunch? I also never said the GT350R was faster then the GT500, just said it handled better. But, you are correct, there is a big HP disadvantage. The base C8 does not come with cup 2's. Actually this was the C8 with handling package anyway. Any modern performance car can be improved with certain upgrades. I appreciate your experience and we both know a faster car is not always faster on track because the same driver cant be in the same seat at the same time. All these conversations are entertaining but that's as much value as it gets until we all show up at the track

OP
OP
WesS

WesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
And not only are they different cars for a different market, for me the back of the Vette is strange looking.
They are different cars but they are both track cars not generally drag cars.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
To me 1 second is eating its lunch because that adds up lap after lap. I know it doesn't sound like much but its amazing how that one second becomes 1 minute which is an eternity on the track. I love the 350 and 350R which is why I have a 350. They are great cars but they are a dying breed. It won't be long before the standard transmission becomes obsolete and no one has one anymore. I wish they would have put some Cup2 tires on the C8 in that test with the GT500. It would have been interesting to see how well it would have performed on a equal playing field as far as tires. I think it acquitted itself quite well with the 4S tires and down 255 HP. Again I'm not too concerned about it because the cars don't really belong in the same match up. It is fun to see all the tears being spilled on the Corvette site because their flagship car can't outrun a Ford Mustang. We need to enjoy this little victory while we can.
Sponsored