Used GT350 or GT350-R

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
“Have I driven it in rain?” Yes I have. On my R in pouring rain through LA traffic. Didn’t put a foot wrong. Drove amazing. Put it in weather mode and it was great.

“You don't give a damn about how soft or hard the tire is, it won't evacuate water like a Pilot Sport or Sport 4s:”

That’s your opinion, not fact. It was meant to be on the street and drive through rain because it was meant for the trade off of giving better street performance because it doesn’t have the track only focus of the R model.

“It's a lousy tire for the everyday driving which is why people are looking for alternatives:”

that’s opinion. Just because people do it does not make it a fact or right. Everyone went around with fidget spinners and playing Pokémon Go, that does not make it better or the right thing to do:

“Yes it's harder so it will last another 2K miles or whatever and it won't heat cycle itself to death. The point is that no matter what it still is not a good street tire period.”

The “period” is only for your opinion. For you, you want another tire. Your car, put flowers on it for all I care, but it’s your opinion, not fact.

I actually interview Ford, the engineers, and the test drivers and they all disagree with you and they disagree with putting different tires in the car and the same size tire of a different model does not mean it is the exactly the same, in many cases your making your car slower.

imo I love the Cup 2, and that’s the R compound different tire cups. Love them to death, fine if you get caught or have to drive in the rain and I’m lots of life out of them. But again my opinion.
You know what they say about opinions. I'll believe mine and you can believe yours. It just seems there are more opinions about getting a more suitable tire for the street which is my whole point. I drive in real rain in Louisiana and the tire sucks compared to the Sport and 4s.
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
It’s not really as much about rain for me as it is temperature variation. Even in Georgia where the OP lives you can get some big swings in temperature on a given day. I can’t imagine driving any Cup2 tire below 50 degrees and definitely not below 45.

The Super Sports do fine until high 30’s or so and then I don’t trust them at all. And this is with actual experience.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
That difference isn't worth noting IMO. They are still Cup 2s and they still don't have any tread to speak of and they are horrible in the rain due to the lack of grooves and tread depth.
you know this how? Or is it pure conjecture born out "they couldn't possibly sully a 'R' with the same tires as a non-R"?

Oops I stand corrected:
from https://www.hotrod.com/articles/sibling-rivalry-comparing-2019-gt350-gt350r/

Dynamics Engineer Steven Thompson describes that although both tires share the same name, they are very different in respects to tire compound. “The GT350 for 2019 is a more aggressive compound than was found on the Super Sport tire of the previous GT350’s, but not as aggressive of a compound found on the GT350R.”
Billy Johnson, the Ford factory race car driver involved in the development of the bespoke Cup 2 tires for the cars, said himself that the compounds between the GT350 Cup 2's and the R Cup 2's are very different and that the GT350 (non-R) compound is closer to the PSS compound than the R compound. The naming was partly marketing, but resulted in many forum members thinking they were effectively the same tire. The Cup 2 name has become more of a line of tires rather than a specific tire. This is why some of us with R's put the Porsche spec Cup 2's on the front of our R's - because the Porsche spec is less aggressive and wears better than the R spec.

That said, none of the Cup 2’s are a suitable rain tire. Everything is a compromise. If you’re going to part with the R wheels on an R though, then there isn’t much reason to purchase the R unless you stumble on a killer deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP

chrismac2264

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
To the OP, I also just went through the same process and I found a low mileage 2018 GT350 non-R with every feature I wanted for $50K. I also looked at several Rs, but you will not find a 2018 R with a warranty for under 50K unless it has a lot of miles or an engine replacement.
Thanks for the info, nice looking car.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
My first question is; does the GT350R have a more robust engine? Are some of the internals different? I heard Ford switched to the R motor in 2019 for all models (is that true?) but do the 16 and 17 R's have better motors?
The Pre-19 R motors DO in fact have at least one different component. Cam phasers. Thye allow better stable oiling at higher RPM. The later production 18 Voodoo motors were rumored to have received new ring and piston packs. It has been discussed extensively.

My other question is, is there a market for the Carbon Fiber wheels on the R? I won't use them, and thought I could get some money back on my total cost by selling them.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Yes you can easily sell the CF wheels. Although I dunno why you'd want to part out a significant piece of what makes an R an R like that. If costs of an R are a thing for you then probably better if you just to stick with a non-R and defile that all you want.

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
It’s not really as much about rain for me as it is temperature variation. Even in Georgia where the OP lives you can get some big swings in temperature on a given day. I can’t imagine driving any Cup2 tire below 50 degrees and definitely not below 45.

The Super Sports do fine until high 30’s or so and then I don’t trust them at all. And this is with actual experience.
This is also my point exactly. The tire is just not good for daily driving. Mine measure about 4/32nds which is half worn for most tires and they are only 2/32nds away from "needing" replacement. Yes the compound is harder and will last longer, I've never denied that but they do not evacuate water very well and they are horrible at 55 and below. I can spin the tires in first and second while rolling just with a reasonable stab of the throttle.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I drove my OEM GT350R on high 30 degrees weather to Maine (before I stored it) and it dropped to low 30's at some point... It is fine if you take care.
I tried to drop the hammer a couple of times in 2nd gear and the tires reminded me that they are track tires. Instant grip loss, no tale tell, unlike the previous PSS which could take a bit of abuse before they let go even in 30 degrees weather.

I feel the SC2's are also noisier and less comfortable than the PSS or 4s tires, which are more of a street tire... I am planing on getting a set of rims for street driving also, but I will always have a SC2's on my carbon rims, just too good to let go for track duty :)

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
One last comment about the difference between the GT350 and 350R Cup 2 tires. They both have the same UTQG rating of 180 AA A and the only difference is the SVC rating of 106Y vs 102Y which is 2094 lbs vs 1764 lbs. The R tire is rated for less weight but the tread wear for both is 180. You would have to be a pro, a real pro to tell the difference if indeed there is any. I used to take people for rides in my M3 when I was instructing for the BMWCCA and told everyone my car was chipped and other wise modified when they rode with me. The all thought the car was amazing when it was totally stock. The power of suggestion is amazing.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
One last comment about the difference between the GT350 and 350R Cup 2 tires. They both have the same UTQG rating of 180 AA A and the only difference is the SVC rating of 106Y vs 102Y which is 2094 lbs vs 1764 lbs. The R tire is rated for less weight but the tread wear for both is 180. You would have to be a pro, a real pro to tell the difference if indeed there is any. I used to take people for rides in my M3 when I was instructing for the BMWCCA and told everyone my car was chipped and other wise modified when they rode with me. The all thought the car was amazing when it was totally stock. The power of suggestion is amazing.
From Tire Rack

"Maybe it's because tires are so complex and their uses can be so varied, that [UTQG] grades don't always reflect their actual performance in real world use."

"UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance."

Last edited:

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Or do best of both worlds and buy a used R that comes with a 2nd set of wheels/tires with Super Sports for street use.
Sponsored