Used GT350 or GT350-R

chrismac2264

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm new to this forum, so I might have missed this advice in the scans I've done so far. Apologizes up front if I have.

I've had a 2006 GT for several years and love it. I do about 4 track days a year, and have done several suspension and safety mods to my 06. I'm now in the fortunate position to start looking for a GT350. My budget is ~$50k, so I'm looking at used 16, 17, and 18. I've read the threads about the oil consumption and the engine failures, so a 2018 GT350 base with good warranty left is certainly attractive. I also understand you need to make sure a 16 or 17 have had the oil lines fixed, and make sure you get a model with the oil and trans coolers.

My first question is; does the GT350R have a more robust engine? Are some of the internals different? I heard Ford switched to the R motor in 2019 for all models (is that true?) but do the 16 and 17 R's have better motors?

My other question is, is there a market for the Carbon Fiber wheels on the R? I won't use them, and thought I could get some money back on my total cost by selling them.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
does the GT350R have a more robust engine? Are some of the internals different? I heard Ford switched to the R motor in 2019 for all models (is that true?) but do the 16 and 17 R's have better motors?
no, no, no, no.
My other question is, is there a market for the Carbon Fiber wheels on the R? I won't use them, and thought I could get some money back on my total cost by selling them.
There's always a market for everything. There is a member here who wants to shed his carbon wheels but hasn't actually created a proper thread to do so. They have been offered in the past. It's a matter of finding someone who want to hand you 16 large (give or take) for a set of rims.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Having just gone through this I would recommend getting the newest GT350 you can afford that has a clean history and the most warranty left. I ended up finding a 2018 with the electronics package, Recaro’s, and racing stripe for just under $49K. The car had 1400 miles and about 70% of the warranty left.

OP
OP

chrismac2264

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Having just gone through this I would recommend getting the newest GT350 you can afford that has a clean history and the most warranty left. I ended up finding a 2018 with the electronics package, Recaro’s, and racing stripe for just under $49K. The car had 1400 miles and about 70% of the warranty left.
Thanks for the info

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
On the GT350:vs GT350R debate it comes down to trade offs:
A big part of that price difference is the carbon fiber wheels. They really are awesome but I drive my car a ton on some pretty bad roads so I would be concerned personally as they are very expensive to replace.
Also the Cup2 tires that are standard on all years on the R (and only on 19+ non-R’s) are great for track but not a good choice for daily driving.
Do you need a backseat?

On a budget there are way more non-R’s out there (supply) and will be more economical. But the R is the better track car and will likely retain its value better.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
no, no, no, no.

Yes Yes Yes. More Robust, debatable

There's always a market for everything. There is a member here who wants to shed his carbon wheels but hasn't actually created a proper thread to do so. They have been offered in the past. It's a matter of finding someone who want to hand you 16 large (give or take) for a set of rims.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
On the GT350:vs GT350R debate it comes down to trade offs:
A big part of that price difference is the carbon fiber wheels. They really are awesome but I drive my car a ton on some pretty bad roads so I would be concerned personally as they are very expensive to replace.
Also the Cup2 tires that are standard on all years on the R (and only on 19+ non-R’s) are great for track but not a good choice for daily driving.
Do you need a backseat?

On a budget there are way more non-R’s out there (supply) and will be more economical. But the R is the better track car and will likely retain its value better.
the cup 2s are different on the 19/20 from the R

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
You could sell the carbon fiber wheels and make back most, if not all of the extra money you paid for the R over the non-R. Since you live in Georgia I don’t think you need to worry about damaging your wheels on bad roads like us up here in the Northeast.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
the cup 2s are different on the 19/20 from the R
That difference isn't worth noting IMO. They are still Cup 2s and they still don't have any tread to speak of and they are horrible in the rain due to the lack of grooves and tread depth.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
That difference isn't worth noting IMO. They are still Cup 2s and they still don't have any tread to speak of and they are horrible in the rain due to the lack of grooves and tread depth.
It should because there is a big difference between the two. Although the pattern is the same, that’s where the similarities end. The compound of the 2019 base tires is much harder than the compound that is on the R models. They were made for longevity and for better water shedding—benefits of an all around street/track tire. The R compound is the softest compound that Ford is willing to put on a car and it does not share that focus of making a tire that will wear less and be better in rain.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The compound of the 2019 base tires is much harder than the compound that is on the R models.
you know this how? Or is it pure conjecture born out "they couldn't possibly sully a 'R' with the same tires as a non-R"?

Oops I stand corrected:
from https://www.hotrod.com/articles/sibling-rivalry-comparing-2019-gt350-gt350r/

Dynamics Engineer Steven Thompson describes that although both tires share the same name, they are very different in respects to tire compound. “The GT350 for 2019 is a more aggressive compound than was found on the Super Sport tire of the previous GT350’s, but not as aggressive of a compound found on the GT350R.”

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
you know this how? Or is it pure conjecture born out "they couldn't possibly sully a 'R' with the same tires as a non-R"?

Oops I stand corrected:
from https://www.hotrod.com/articles/sibling-rivalry-comparing-2019-gt350-gt350r/

Dynamics Engineer Steven Thompson describes that although both tires share the same name, they are very different in respects to tire compound. “The GT350 for 2019 is a more aggressive compound than was found on the Super Sport tire of the previous GT350’s, but not as aggressive of a compound found on the GT350R.”
I know this because I am the author of that piece. Nice to meet you.

And the part that you want to focus on if you have a 2019 Base is this:

“Thompson states that, “a GT350R tire will still [have] a higher grip [versus] a base GT350, but along with that comes some things that you would expect: a bit more wear—faster wear. The GT350 base [Cup 2 tire] is a little less susceptible to grip loss with successive heat cycles… because of the different compound formulation. It’s better for the base 350 to offset that loss of grip between the two tires.”

The contrast between the tire compounds is akin to the different tires that you see in modern day Formula 1 racing, with their different tire compounds of soft, medium, and hard. One can imagine the old Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires as being analogous to the hard compound tires, whereas the new 2019 GT350 base Cup 2 are the medium tire, while the GT350R receives the soft tire.”

The 2019 base cup 2 were meant for the street and are not the same tire or have the same characteristics of the more aggressive GT350R Cup 2 tires, i.e. they are not the same other than in appearance.

Last edited:

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
To the OP, I also just went through the same process and I found a low mileage 2018 GT350 non-R with every feature I wanted for $50K. I also looked at several Rs, but you will not find a 2018 R with a warranty for under 50K unless it has a lot of miles or an engine replacement.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I know this because I am the author of that piece. Nice to meet you.

And the part that you want to focus on if you have a 2019 Base is this:

“Thompson states that, “a GT350R tire will still [have] a higher grip [versus] a base GT350, but along with that comes some things that you would expect: a bit more wear—faster wear. The GT350 base [Cup 2 tire] is a little less susceptible to grip loss with successive heat cycles… because of the different compound formulation. It’s better for the base 350 to offset that loss of grip between the two tires.”

The contrast between the tire compounds is akin to the different tires that you see in modern day Formula 1 racing, with their different tire compounds of soft, medium, and hard. One can imagine the old Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires as being analogous to the hard compound tires, whereas the new 2019 GT350 base Cup 2 are the medium tire, while the GT350R receives the soft tire.”

The 2019 base cup 2 were meant for the street and are not the same tire or have the same characteristics of the more aggressive GT350R Cup 2 tires, i.e. they are not the same other than in appearance.
Have you actually driven the Cup 2 tire in actual rain? I don't give a damn about how soft or hard the tire is, it won't evacuate water like a Pilot Sport or Sport 4s. It's a lousy tire for the everyday driving which is why people are looking for alternatives. Yes it's harder so it will last another 2K miles or whatever and it won't heat cycle itself to death. The point is that no matter what it still is not a good street tire period.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Have you actually driven the Cup 2 tire in actual rain? I don't give a damn about how soft or hard the tire is, it won't evacuate water like a Pilot Sport or Sport 4s. It's a lousy tire for the everyday driving which is why people are looking for alternatives. Yes it's harder so it will last another 2K miles or whatever and it won't heat cycle itself to death. The point is that no matter what it still is not a good street tire period.

“Have I driven it in rain?” Yes I have. On my R in pouring rain through LA traffic. Didn’t put a foot wrong. Drove amazing. Put it in weather mode and it was great.

“You don't give a damn about how soft or hard the tire is, it won't evacuate water like a Pilot Sport or Sport 4s:”

That’s your opinion, not fact. It was meant to be on the street and drive through rain because it was meant for the trade off of giving better street performance because it doesn’t have the track only focus of the R model.

“It's a lousy tire for the everyday driving which is why people are looking for alternatives:”

that’s opinion. Just because people do it does not make it a fact or right. Everyone went around with fidget spinners and playing Pokémon Go, that does not make it better or the right thing to do:

“Yes it's harder so it will last another 2K miles or whatever and it won't heat cycle itself to death. The point is that no matter what it still is not a good street tire period.”

The “period” is only for your opinion. For you, you want another tire. Your car, put flowers on it for all I care, but it’s your opinion, not fact.

I actually interview Ford, the engineers, and the test drivers and they all disagree with you and they disagree with putting different tires in the car and the same size tire of a different model does not mean it is the exactly the same, in many cases your making your car slower.

imo I love the Cup 2, and that’s the R compound different tire cups. Love them to death, fine if you get caught or have to drive in the rain and I’m lots of life out of them. But again my opinion.
Sponsored