Sponsored

2019+ Voodoo Changes

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
It has been confirmed that the Voodoo has inherited changes from the 5.2 Predator Engine Program. The Gen 2 5.2 changes have started with MY2019 GT350 (Voodoo) Production.

Confirmed Changes

Overall
  • The Gen 2 5.2 can withstand 12 psi of sustained boost
Recast Block
  • Longer head bolts (Gen 1 Coyote specifications)
  • Additional cylinder bore material surrounding the water jackets
  • Added cast in brace on intake side of cylinder bore
  • Changed breathing port orientation to better equalize block gasses and minimize windage
Recast Cylinder Head
  • Additional material around water jackets for better sealing
  • Stronger valve seat material to handle increased heat
  • 4 Layer MLS head gasket

Unconfirmed Changes

• GT350R timing chains
  • GT350R lash adjusters
  • Improved I-beam connecting rods
  • Copper-lead bearings
  • Resized piston-cooling jets
  • Forged crank sprocket
  • Improved oil pump with larger stronger gerotor gear
  • Upgraded exhaust valve seals
  • Higher exhaust valve spring rate
When checking over the last 6 weeks of waiting for order progress I've been digging into the MY'19 GT350 engine part carryovers resulting from GT500 dev. A lot of this list, compiled form the article, is the same as answers I've been given by Ford Performance. Some reps try to help more than others for sure. But also a lot of the FP replies are cryptic and incomplete. Probably not intentional but sometimes they seize on one part of the question and ignore the rest. For example on connecting rods - yes, I know PF rods are still considered "forged" technically but they're the ones who raised the issue by saying for the MY'19 "larger forged connecting rods" - larger apparently the only operative difference not forged differently. So a simple "larger rods" or which ones would have been more helpful if they remain powder forged <shrug>. So it can be a hit or miss q&a.

Wrt the oil pump I asked directly weeks ago if our MY'19's were getting the billet Ford Perf pump. I figured the answer would be no but it was among a long list of questions I expected to be yes. I got back from FP rep that he "sent your question to Engine Engineer. His (same engineer) response follows: "New block with longer hd bolts and steel crank sprocket. Carryover oil pump""
Note "carryover" oil pump pretty different from the article's "improved" - so for me another source is needed to confirm that one. "Forged" crank sprocket could mean still powder forged but otherwise improved just like rods are - ok...hard to tell but both sources are suggesting that is indeed different than before. A lot of the rest of the list covered by several reports & some I hadn't heard.

Oh yeah - I also got something about changes re "and Oil Pan, Oil Pickup, and Windage tray" but that FP rep suggested that have been from 2018 forward - no reply yet trying to confirm that was 2018 forward vs 2019. Makes sense for MY19 if oiing was addressed specifically for MY'19.

So anyway though they are talking more than they had been sometimes its like puling teeth getting a simple clear answer. Happy info hunting...and if you already got your unicorn go ride it!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
I want to believe this, but it all sounds wishy-washy.

I mean, I haven't seen a single 2019 with a 557 code, so that has to count for something.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I want to believe this, but it all sounds wishy-washy.

I mean, I haven't seen a single 2019 with a 557 code, so that has to count for something.

I think it is time to confirm that Romeo Niche Line is no longer producing GT350 "557" engines only GT350R "555" engines for all GT350 models and replacement engines.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I have updated the original post with additional information and recent confirmations.

GAGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1983 S10 Sport Pickup

I think it is time to confirm that Romeo Niche Line is no longer producing GT350 "557" engines only GT350R "555" engines for all GT350 models and replacement engines.
You are correct, my car was built 3/21, tag states GT350R, 555 AA

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I don’t see where in the article it says the same rods used in the predator (the stronger I beams ) transfers also to the Voodoo.

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
I don’t see where in the article it says the same rods used in the predator (the stronger I beams ) transfers also to the Voodoo.
They probably don’t, they are probably significantly heavier but I’m not sure.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I'm not sure that's the case being made but one rep did say to me (among mentioning other things improved like lubrication etc all after being at a meeting with Carl Wiedan in PA Ford Nationals) "plus larger forged connecting rods". So to me "Larger" is a is a qualifier of change in English. With a different rep I followed up asking for details & I got a lot of disconnected information. I asked for clarification that week and again today from a different rep emailing me after the chat session and following up with Engineer relayed info. I got (copy paste from him): "All Coyotes from 11-14 used the BR3Z-A Rod, except the BOSS302 which used the CR3Z-B connecting rod. ALL 15 up Coyotes, cars and trucks use the CR3Z-B Boss302 rod". Yeah...but I never asked about Coyotes.....so I asked - what does the MY19 Voodoo get for connecting rods and what did it get in previous years? When I got no answer I called & he said he was on his way out but had been reviewing prints (as in CAD/Exploded diagrams) for details. I thought good - more info later (maybe). I do know a lot of these parts when(if) new are slow to make it to the FP and dealer service dept for lack of service part numbers but its well into these cars being delivered - they generally seem behind (I bet no one would be surprised at that given the 2019 slow roll-out). Likewise I just got MY19 non R wheel part numbers and they had to dig for that info so I dunno whats going on at FP.

I'm an engineer - these guys make me look like a polished PR communicator in comparison to them. None the less I appreciate their help at least from those who try and I'll dig as long as it gets info. Contrast that to yesterday (I only call every couple of weeks or so) a totally different rep was clam'd up - he said only the short block casting was different for 2019 GT350's despite my asking about specifics that several other sources have brought up without prodding (i..e. head bolts, heads etc). I asked tactfully - got nothing in response. It's hit or miss games. Not like they don't have my VIN as confirmation that I'm a customer 2 weeks from assembly.

Just now I got this in a brief email "2015 Up GT350 connection rod is the GR3Z-6200-A" which implies no change (at least it's a G version in this latest conversation). At this point I trust this info as much as I trust my August ETA date for my car - not at all. Not with so much contradictory info from the same sources. Sorry.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Hope this motor is overbuilt like my 03 Cobra. Proven to take on more boost and stay intact. Currently running 12.5 lbs of boost on it and solid as a rock.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So, I haven't seen much on possible driving differences for 2019. Where are the RPMs at with the cross vs. flat? Will the arc of power vary? Which is more fun to drive? Could we see more power in 2021MY?

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Where are the RPMs at with the cross vs. flat?
Lower RPM for the cross vs flat has been covered in all the GT500 PR. Differences between NA 350's & supercharged 500's are probably not that comparable given aerodynamics, transmissions, and torque....and given the cost differences not comparable there either. As for more power in MY2021...how much more does one need from a factory build? Who knows...I know plenty of us are still waiting for our '19's ;-)

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Lower RPM for the cross vs flat has been covered in all the GT500 PR. Differences between NA 350's & supercharged 500's are probably not that comparable given aerodynamics, transmissions, and torque....and given the cost differences not comparable there either. As for more power in MY2021...how much more does one need from a factory build? Who knows...I know plenty of us are still waiting for our '19's ;-)
Thanks. I was referring to 2018 vs 2019 GT350 driving experience. GT is close to 500 HP and GT500 at 760, so a couple reasons to predict more power. I'm not asking for more power, just trying to be predictive and discuss.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I was referring to 2018 vs 2019 GT350 driving experience. .
Sorry, missed that - its a valid question but I think that's been covered a lot in the MY19 reviews of the GT350 where they talk about the SC2's tires and tweaked aero, brake, steering, front spring, rear bar & magride calibrations being to greater advantage. I'll ask at Track Attack next week about their perception since they are probably as tuned into that as anyone could be who isn't just doing marketing. Then again Carl Widmann tends to be a straight shooter. Case in point this video interview is pretty good:
(skip to 2:50) ("faster on the track" "confidence" & "feedback" discussion starts at 4:30)

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
So then my replacement motor for my 2018 is indeed a 2019 version as it’s a R version. I did notice that the oil pressure gauge behaves differently. In the new motor at idle it sits at about 28 psi but soon as I touch the throttle it goes to 97 or so and stays there regardless of rpm. In the 2018 motor the pressure seemed to vary with the rpm quite a bit more. New motor has over 8k miles so far and using minimal oil. Perhaps .6 liters in 3200 miles.
Sponsored