Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
DCShelby - Thanks for the quick reply. I thought about bringing to another dealer, but the problem is the next closest Ford dealership is 40+ miles away, and i don't have any kind of relationship with them.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
My dealer did the following:

Changed the oil, added dye to the oil to look for leaks, scribed oil level on dipstick. All I had to do was drive, come once a week to check oil. I made sure I drove over 200 miles a week. At the first reading they looked for oil leaks - nothing. After the third week, they called it - they documented adding 4 qts in about 900 miles of driving. A week later they had the OK from Ford and they sent a new motor (btw new motor built Dec 2018, my car was originally built Sept 2017). Good news is, I now have 3300 miles on the new motor and zero oil consumption so far. My first motor started burning oil after 2500 miles. Fingers crossed!

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
My dealer did the following:

Changed the oil, added dye to the oil to look for leaks, scribed oil level on dipstick. All I had to do was drive, come once a week to check oil. I made sure I drove over 200 miles a week. At the first reading they looked for oil leaks - nothing. After the third week, they called it - they documented adding 4 qts in about 900 miles of driving. A week later they had the OK from Ford and they sent a new motor (btw new motor built Dec 2018, my car was originally built Sept 2017). Good news is, I now have 3300 miles on the new motor and zero oil consumption so far. My first motor started burning oil after 2500 miles. Fingers crossed!
I sure hope it works out for you. I still wonder how mine is doing. Did the consumption get worse/better/same.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Go to another dealer. What they do is for an oil consumption test is....top off the oil....then you drive 500 miles....don't add oil or even check it.....as you hit 500....go to the dealer and they check the level and top it off if they have to.....then drive another 500 miles and check it again. If its used more than 1 quart in 500 miles, its a bad engine. In my case they also did the borescope camera on each cylinder, dye test, compression test and leakdown test.....all the data gets sent to Ford, and they make the decision to replace the motor.
What kind of driving do they tell you to do? Mixed highway/city/redline...not kidding.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I just did normal driving for my test. Mostly back roads.
MIne was burning 1 qt per 500 miles with spirited backroad driving when I sold it. But if I did highway miles only it did not. I went 1000 miles with nothing'ish burned. But I didn't want to do grandma driving on the highway.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
(I hope I didn't miss this question...)

Has anyone had an engine fail for any reason that was using Amsoil for all/most of its life?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
What kind of driving do they tell you to do? Mixed highway/city/redline...not kidding.
I did backroads and highway. A few redline pulls but not that much. I knew I was was over the limit just by my own oil measurements. They got me at 1 quart per 125 miles......new engine came in, I dropped it off on a Friday and got it back by Tuesday. They did a few before mine. So the tech was good at it!

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
(I hope I didn't miss this question...)

Has anyone had an engine fail for any reason that was using Amsoil for all/most of its life?
I spun Rod Bearings #1 and #2 at 7000 miles. Changed to AMSOIL at 1000 miles. Oil consumption started two months before failure at 1000 miles per quart then dropped to 500 miles weeks before failure then 250 miles days before failure.

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
another one for the list......
i've been looking at 18's and last month at pierre ford in seattle they had a 17 with 1k miles on the used lot. pretty sure it was a ford buyback. motor was replaced due to oil consumption. chassis number was H3298.

seeing this issue is making it really difficult to take the plunge and buy a shelby. i've been looking since 2016 and now that the market has softened enough to buy at msrp or lower, enough data is in that has me very hesitant. i try to look at every new one that hits the dealer lots in my area and have yet to see one that did not have some kind of fit/finish issue. at this price point it takes a heck of a package to overlook that, but to also think that the engine is a potential time bomb? i'm starting to look at grand sports pretty hard. would be great if ford had something to say on this before its too late for me to purchase a 19 and i end up in a vette.
I know this was posted almost a year ago but H3298 was my car. I bought it from a dealer in Wisconsin and had it shipped here. The car was indeed a buyback, but not due to oil consumption - nor did it have its engine replaced. In fact it didn't have any engine issues at all and it never required oil. It was bought back with 983 miles on the clock due to a an extremely poor warranty paint repair.

I have the owners kit for it and would like to find its current owner.

H3298 is on the left and H3460 is on the right.
IMG_20171121_194811.jpg

Last edited:

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I spun Rod Bearings #1 and #2 at 7000 miles. Changed to AMSOIL at 1000 miles. Oil consumption started two months before failure at 1000 miles per quart then dropped to 500 miles weeks before failure then 250 miles days before failure.
This is scaring me. Before 3000 miles it was burning little, between 3700-10000 it was burning a quart every 450 and ford said it was normal (!), between 10-20k it was burning a quart every 400 or so, so this weekend I went to Helen GA and did some hard back road driving and it needed 1.5 quarts over 242 miles (22,575-22,817) and I’ve seen the oil gauge wiggle like never before. I have a feeling it’s going to go soon, perhaps before I make it to the dealer. Hopefully they take me seriously this time. Last time they said less than 500 miles per quart was out of spec but even at 450 they said it was operating normally after doing a consumption test. They can’t claim that anymore.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
This is scaring me. Before 3000 miles it was burning little, between 3700-10000 it was burning a quart every 450 and ford said it was normal (!), between 10-20k it was burning a quart every 400 or so, so this weekend I went to Helen GA and did some hard back road driving and it needed 1.5 quarts over 242 miles (22,575-22,817) and I’ve seen the oil gauge wiggle like never before. I have a feeling it’s going to go soon, perhaps before I make it to the dealer. Hopefully they take me seriously this time. Last time they said less than 500 miles per quart was out of spec but even at 450 they said it was operating normally after doing a consumption test. They can’t claim that anymore.
Go get you a 19 R motor replacement!

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Go get you a 19 R motor replacement!
Yup, you gonna be upgraded, my friend. Silver lining here! I wonder if a Ford warranty replacement like this with the upgraded engine will increase value more than the fact that it's not the original engine. It certainly could!