Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

rebellovw

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
That is my fear, the reputation of this model is now suspect. Nobody wants to buy a problem.
I wouldn't worry about that - most people that buy Mustangs have never been on this site or youtube. I was like that once and came here drunk in the absolute love for my Mustang wanting to partake in the group sharing of this euphoric feeling/phenomenon only to be stepped on/shattered by members of this forum.

I now understand this is normal for every Mustang. I still god damn love that Mustang.

obspsd

Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The s197 body is way better hahaha. Hahaha hahaha hahaha funny.

UnhandledException

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have 44,100 miles on my car. It requires 1 qt every 1,250 miles if I drive it in city/spirited and 1 qt every 3,000 miles for pure highway driving. No failures, no issues. I daily drive it. The only two things breaking on this car was A/C and rear diff pinion seal. Mine has been bullet proof still original clutch that holds like day 1.

obspsd

Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
There is a 2017 GT350 on eBay with 50,000 miles on it.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
If you had one you'd know that the integrity of the S197 was better made in general. Hoping Ford get their head out of their asses.....oh wait your's is already in their's lol.
Clearly you don't know anything about Mustangs, because everyone knows that the Mustang II had the best chassis of all time.

THE MAN

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Which is why I sold mine before it was. The Trinity in the last GT500 was bulletproof. Hoping for the same with the new one. The body was way better on the S197's so I'm also hoping the 500 will be better than that 350 I had.
Mine has been sitting in the garage. Driving my AMG so no complaints. Thinking I'll probably trade it in on something in 2020 as the engine seems like Ford is treating it like a one and done. Not really building on the concept, this thread is apparent as to why that may be.

galaxy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine has been sitting in the garage. Driving my AMG so no complaints. Thinking I'll probably trade it in on something in 2020 as the engine seems like Ford is treating it like a one and done. Not really building on the concept, this thread is apparent as to why that may be.
Dude, don't let this stupid thread and a fear of nothing run you off from thoroughly enjoying a great machine!

Zitrosounds

Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
OMG!!! ALmost 50% of the poll is for oil consumption LOL

88 pages, 1742 posts of absolute overstated and exaggerated madness. 14.5K miles on my R half track half street. don't get me wrong, I understand disappointment when an engine fails. It happened to me with my first GT350. And then I got my R. This thread is the perfect example of the grapevine effect.

Frank.Herbst

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
This should have been an informative thread. Now so many useless comments the good information gets lost. The vast majority will enjoy their GT350s anyway.
The main impact this kind of information will have is putting extra money in Ford's account through more extended warranties.

Kado

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Also, it would have been good info to know the model year and maybe even the block year for the failed and replacement engines. I believe that when my 17 engine failed, I got a '19 block that has different characteristics. The oil pressure has a different profile on idle and on highway driving. Knowing the year of block might give us a better indication on where the majority of the problems lie and if Ford has implemented a fix that has effectively solved the problem.

JR369

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
What you mean by the "one and done" comment? We're heading into year 5 production of the Voodoo engine. In comparison, the Trinity was a 2 year run, the Road Runner was a 2 year run and the Terminator was a 2 year run.

rick81721

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
What you mean by the "one and done" comment? We're heading into year 5 production of the Voodoo engine. In comparison, the Trinity was a 2 year run, the Road Runner was a 2 year run and the Terminator was a 2 year run.
Yes and still selling as many as they build. Laughable fake owner trolls notwithstanding...

Zitrosounds

Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
From what I understand, this flat plane concept was a bit of a risk for Ford. Ferrari has done it well but for an American manufacturer to try and do what Ferrari has been doing for years, well I suppose the outcome of multiple engine replacements in these cars was a forgone conclusion. Given the circumstance, from a business perspective Ford will never make an engine of this type again.
I wonder how many engine Ferrari replaces on their cars? Oh!!! and then there's the ruthless maintenance intervals LOL. The Voodoo has no more in depth maintenance interval than a Fiesta. Albeit you are right. Ford will never make an engine like this again but not for the reason you suggest. This was no risk at all.Ford has no problem selling these cars and no problem replacing engines (stock). All this is hilarious.
Almost 300 registered owners on this forum and of that 35 have had engine issues, mainly oil consumption, of which most where bought back rather than replaced.
Whats' my point? simple. More than 20,000 GT350's sold thus far, how many engines replaced for actual mechanical failures like my first GT350???? No one knows, right? But lets say you use a failure rate of 1%. That's 200 cars or so. Honda sold 300K+ cars in 2012 U.S. and had an engine failure rate of 1%, approximately 3000 engines replaced on one of the most reliable platforms in the world.
Using a forum of 200+ or so owners as an example of failure rate is preposterous.

MBGRAM-1