Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

JR369

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
From what I understand, this flat plane concept was a bit of a risk for Ford. Ferrari has done it well but for an American manufacturer to try and do what Ferrari has been doing for years, well I suppose the outcome of multiple engine replacements in these cars was a forgone conclusion. Given the circumstance, from a business perspective Ford will never make an engine of this type again.
Ford took the "risk" of 5 years Voodoo production...and didn't stick with a lot of other engine options that were considered bulletproof for more than 2 production years. Ok.

Last edited:

Kado

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Ford will never admit to jack. They do know however. They're just giving all you GT350 guys the finger. Anyone owning one of these off warranty is focked...
I didn't mean to insinuate Ford would own up to it. I meant that is we all listed the years of the cars that had failures, and the engine block years, we might be able to figure out if there was a point where the problem was fixed. In that case, a buyer could look for a specific model year, or block year in case of a replacement, and buy with some confidence that the early issues were mitigated. For instance, if the 19MY vehicles don't have the oiling or bearing issues like the 17MY cars did, the community as a whole could purchase with the knowledge that their fear of engine failure was reduced.

Zitrosounds

Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
OMG! Ferrari had crank shaft failures in an N/A flat plane crankshaft engine? Say it isn't so? UNACCEPTABLE! of all cars the HALLOWED last of its kind 458 Italia.
How could they! Ferrari sucks! more than 200+ cars required a new crankshaft or a new engine. how many California's and 458's where produced? imagine the failure rate for that?
BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a21834/ferrari-crankshaft-recall-35174/

Nfs1000f

Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
This thread has not surprisingly gotten fucking ridiculous.

Nfs1000f

Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I'd use the adjective.. outrageous. You have former owners having sold their GT350's because of the crap reliability, had their engines replaced etc. You have the current owner deniers and Ford homers/Ford Perf fan boys, currently deciding which Team Shelby jacket and matching cap they should wear to the next C&C; other current owners say 'who gives a shit I have a warranty' ...until it happens to them', other's who are afraid to drive their GT350's for fear of it blowing up, track guys swingin' their dicks in perceived superiority... who gives a shit I'll open it up and burn more of my money in it. Then, you have others who tossed in the towel, cut their losses and moved on from this shitshow. That is GT350 ownership in all of its forms ............:crackup::

maxresdefault.jpg
You are one of the reasons why I made the above comment. I waited too long and now decided you’re not worth reading because of your constant negativity. Blocked.

THE MAN

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
What you mean by the "one and done" comment? We're heading into year 5 production of the Voodoo engine. In comparison, the Trinity was a 2 year run, the Road Runner was a 2 year run and the Terminator was a 2 year run.
My thoughts on this is that they haven't yet disclosed any reliability issues, even though there is ample proof of there being one. The other engines you've mentioned in your post didn't have as many reported issues. Perhaps this 5.2 engine is the product of forcing improvement of performance in each generation of Mustang whereby reliability is being sacrificed?

Zitrosounds

Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
My thoughts on this is that they haven't yet disclosed any reliability issues, even though there is ample proof of there being one. The other engines you've mentioned in your post didn't have as many reported issues. Perhaps this 5.2 engine is the product of forcing improvement of performance in each generation of Mustang whereby reliability is being sacrificed?
"ample" proof? Where is it????? LOL

Minn19

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
FWIW a friend of mine is getting his 5.0 replaced for oil consumption in his truck. From his conversations with his service department it sounds like Ford is having this issues with the 5.0s as well.

5LITERV8

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
FWIW a friend of mine is getting his 5.0 replaced for oil consumption in his truck. From his conversations with his service department it sounds like Ford is having this issues with the 5.0s as well.
What year is the truck?

Hack

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Fiesta
Hmm, went to the PWTA process on the 5.0 cylinder liners as well.

LFG_Cory

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Engine replaced due to oil consumption.

Compression and leak down test showed a loss of 40% in cylinders 1 and 2. Cylinder 3 25%.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350:Sasha Black 64.5 C:Esmeralda 68 GTA:Valencia 16 F150 Lariat:Black Ops Betty
Well I am on the blown block replacement. Hole by the oil pan next to number 3 I believe. Tear-down was done by Ford, but I have not received a official answer, just I'm get a new engine. I plan on going down there later this week to see for myself cause.

I have also heard about the 18 5.0 trucks having issues, as well as the 5.0 cars. The BQQ tick is what its being called ? Not sure how many issues there it has caused.

87 - StangMods - 1