Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Amsoil SS, Schaeffer's 9000, PUP, 5w-30
Sponsored

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I’m with @TheLion70x77 on the PUP 5W30. I had some very light bbq tick and TriboTex eliminated that, my oil has been changed 3x since then and still no tick, not sure if it’s the TriboTex or the PUP 5W30 to give credit. One important thing to do when changing your oil is to shake the $hit out of your jugs to help mix the additives that have collected at the bottom, I didn’t realize that was a thing until I looked in the bottom of my PUP. After shaking it up using the second jug I decided to look in a old Mobil 1 5W20 full syn jug I had used in my focus, it also had additives in the bottom. And to think I’ve been throwing away all the good stuff for years.
9561DFC5-19D8-4D93-A627-397ED8D5031B.jpeg
1A6C8371-1C26-4A24-9A8B-9312494A05DE.jpeg
706CF3D2-26B5-4185-96F2-1FB041914FCA.jpeg
19FC0042-40F6-44C4-B0BB-AFEE79AA9C22.jpeg

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
First oil change redline 5w-20. So far, knock wood, no oil change BBQ tick, and idle oil pressure appears to be nominally higher.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I’m with @TheLion70x77 on the PUP 5W30. I had some very light bbq tick and TriboTex eliminated that, my oil has been changed 3x since then and still no tick, not sure if it’s the TriboTex or the PUP 5W30 to give credit. One important thing to do when changing your oil is to shake the $hit out of your jugs to help mix the additives that have collected at the bottom, I didn’t realize that was a thing until I looked in the bottom of my PUP. After shaking it up using the second jug I decided to look in a old Mobil 1 5W20 full syn jug I had used in my focus, it also had additives in the bottom. And to think I’ve been throwing away all the good stuff for years.
Makes me wonder if the same thing happens when the car sits for a few days. Does this stuff just sit in the bottom of the oil pan?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I had some very light bbq tick and TriboTex eliminated that, my oil has been changed 3x since then and still no tick, not sure if it’s the TriboTex or the PUP 5W30 to give credit.
So seems TriboTex treatment remained on parts for 3 oil changes after use. Don't think PUP alone cures the typewriter tick as mentioned by others, but of course the severity of the tick to start with may have a factor on how it reacts to additives and different oils.

As far as sediments in the bottom of the oil jugs - I used Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 last oil change and saw nothing settled in the bottom of the jugs that sat for 6 months before use.

Sponsored

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Makes me wonder if the same thing happens when the car sits for a few days. Does this stuff just sit in the bottom of the oil pan?
I’ve thought that and don’t know enough about what that stuff is and how it works. I’ve convinced myself that it most likely clings to hot metal and semi stays there. I’d really like to know too.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
So seems TriboTex treatment remained on parts for 3 oil changes after use. Don't think PUP alone cures the typewriter tick as mentioned by others, but of course the severity of the tick to start with may have a factor on how it reacts to additives and different oils.

As far as sediments in the bottom of the oil jugs - I used Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 last oil change and saw nothing settled in the bottom of the jugs that sat for 6 months before use.
You’re right about that, seems like no one oil cures the tick. The PUP sat about 3 months before I used it. There’s a YouTube video of a guy talking about the settling additives in his quart bottle, Pennzoil contacted him and said that some of the additives may fall out over time. Not sure if they’re adding too much to the base or if it’s a cheap formula or just something that happens with their blend. The Mobil 1 had some settling but not much, the yellow jug of the Pennzoil really makes it visible.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You’re right about that, seems like no one oil cures the tick.
Just like the Ceratec additive when used as directed, there are reports that the tick would stay away with the next oil change without any new Ceratec added. And that was with the same oil brand/weight that was used before when the tick was present. It's data points like that which says the ticking isn't caused by oil cavitation, but rather something mechanical that is affected by the level of friction between moving parts.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Just like the Ceratec additive when used as directed, there are reports that the tick would stay away with the next oil change without any new Ceratec added. And that was with the same oil brand/weight that was used before when the tick was present. It's data points like that which says the ticking isn't caused by oil cavitation, but rather something mechanical that is affected by the level of friction between moving parts.
In the beginning I thought it was oil cavitation, you’ve made an excellent point here.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
0w-30 M1 in most of my stuff.... rotella T-6 ( 5w-40) in the motorcycle.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I’ve thought that and don’t know enough about what that stuff is and how it works. I’ve convinced myself that it most likely clings to hot metal and semi stays there. I’d really like to know too.
From Pennzoil: Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology can have a shelf-life of up to four years if stored properly and it is not necessary to shake the motor oil bottle before dispensing. Our formulations are carefully balanced to ensure that additives stay suspended within the motor oil.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
From Pennzoil: Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology can have a shelf-life of up to four years if stored properly and it is not necessary to shake the motor oil bottle before dispensing. Our formulations are carefully balanced to ensure that additives stay suspended within the motor oil.
So...the stuff left in the bottom of those bottles are droppings from the rats who lived in them before the oil was added?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
So...the stuff left in the bottom of those bottles are droppings from the rats who lived in them before the oil was added?

That is a good question for Pennzoil!

gstboy69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
5.0 2018
Today I change the oil of the car only with 450 miles on odometer. The oem oil looks black and see only 8 quarts. My car dont have the BBQ tick,but I put Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic (2 black jugs) and 2 bottles of Ceratec. The engine its like a Toyota Prius,I dont hear nothing :) . I recommend to all the guys with new 5.0 change the oil quickly!!!!!

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
That is a good question for Pennzoil!
I agree. All of my jugs from the past year have had this, not just one or two. I think they know there’s some fallout but don’t want to admit it, I’m fine with shaking the oil for now. It was hard to see the Mobil 1’s because of the color of the jug.
Sponsored