Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You keep saying you want torque torque torque. If you had a clue, you would know that the very simplest way to make more torque is to open the throttle more. You do know that engine torque ratings are at full throttle right? Right??? If the 7.3 gets rated at 480 ftlb, you’re not getting that at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle. Surely you know this.

A fair enough question...

It’s all about feel for me. I yearn for the feel of the truck motors I drive every day that get you the torque down low. That is why I want a truck motor in my Mustang.

Max rpm for the truck I was just driving was a little over 2,000 rpm and I had it floored for 35 minutes of a 45 minute round trip. On the rigs we have we are not supposed to go over 1550 rpm while it gives you 2000 lb ft of torque.

I have driven this way for 32 years and want my personal car to have the same feel.

That’s the long and short of it. I actually like the 7.3 as is. As bizarre as that is to you other guys. Perhaps you guys should drive some heavy machinery for a while so you can appreciate what I desire...
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A fair enough question...

It’s all about feel for me. I yearn for the feel of the truck motors I drive every day that get you the torque down low. That is why I want a truck motor in my Mustang.

Max rpm for the truck I was just driving was a little over 2,000 rpm and I had it floored for 35 minutes of a 45 minute round trip. On the rigs we have we are not supposed to go over 1550 rpm while it gives you 2000 lb ft of torque.

I have driven this way for 32 years and want my personal car to have the same feel.

That’s the long and short of it. I actually like the 7.3 as is. As bizarre as that is to you other guys. Perhaps you guys should drive some heavy machinery for a while so you can appreciate what I desire...
I have, 13L and 15L with manual and AMTs. My job is to make sure they perform the way the customer wants. In no way, shape or form would I ever want that feel/performance in a sports coupe. That you do is one of the most bizarre car things I've ever heard. Regardless, no one at Ford is going to develop a Mustang that feels that way, because you're a market of one.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I like lamp!!

About as relevant as this thread has become.
Yet I am still drawn back to see what bullsh@# is made up today. Lol

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I like lamp!!

Well we have the guy who makes up bullsh!t and the guy who thinks part throttle performance is a thing. It's bewildering, but here we are. It's like a massive car wreck. You know it's horrible, but can't turn away.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
On the rigs we have we are not supposed to go over 1550 rpm while it gives you 2000 lb ft of torque.
I would like to know what truck this is?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to know what truck this is?
One like this. Cruise rpm is between 1100-1200 rpm typically. Peak torque at ~900 rpm, peak power near 1700 rpm.
maxresdefault.jpg

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One like this.
maxresdefault.jpg
Oh I know, drove them for 13 years. I would like to know what truck he has that produces 2000 at basically 1500. I want to know what I was missing out on!!

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I like lamp!!

Now that is just me.

I would also be fine with a 7.3 that has been altered for a more performance mission in a Mustang - it will still have that big motor feel. So I actually agree with you guys on that - but even so it will have appeal. I don’t expect Ford to produce this but even they said it will be available in the aftermarket.

Big motor in small car. There will be a performance benefit and it will appeal to baby boomers who want that old style hot rod of their youth. They are still the largest demographic and have the most cash. Someone will make and sell these things...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I know, drove them for 13 years. I would like to know what truck he has that produces 2000 at basically 1500. I want to know what I was missing out on!!
Ah yes. None of them do that. But he's expected to keep it generally under 1500 rpm for fuel economy reasons. Keeping your cruise speed close to your peak torque speed is ideal for engine efficiency (and lower rpm obviously consumes less).

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

We phased those out. The Volvo’s are in and the rentals are Peterbilts these days.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Now that is just me.

I would also be fine with a 7.3 that has been altered for a more performance mission in a Mustang - it will still have that big motor feel. So I actually agree with you guys on that - but even so it will have appeal. I don’t expect Ford to produce this but even they said it will be available in the aftermarket.

Big motor in small car. There will be a performance benefit and it will appeal to baby boomers who want that old style hot rod of their youth. They are still the largest demographic and have the most cash. Someone will make and sell these things...
The ones with that much cash will realize that the tear up to get one in and then end up with a slower car (0-60, 1/4 MI, road course, all of the above) is a foolish idea. Quite literally no smart person would buy something for its performance in 0-20 mph at half throttle.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
We phased those out. The Volvo’s are in and the rentals are Peterbilts these days.
And yet still not an actual answer to the question. Let me try again and be more specific, what truck were you just driving that does as stated 2000 ft lbs at 1550 rpm? I wish to know, and I don't want a lecture or some dumb video... just answer the question please. I would also like to know the engine specifics as well, thank you.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
And yet still not an actual answer to the question. Let me try again and be more specific, what truck were you just driving that does as stated 2000 ft lbs at 1550 rpm? I wish to know, and I don't want a lecture or some dumb video... just answer the question please. I would also like to know the engine specifics as well, thank you.

Volvo D13: 1850@1100

Can I eat my supper now?

Oh yah - Source: https://www.volvotrucks.us/-/media/...hash=0D3E615C6455DC5ED75BF64F12ADF36F15A973FA
Sponsored