Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I’ll give you guys some more. This is all on Ford.

In their minds there Isn’t I real problem. They don’t like financing longer than six years, so if you are a good little consumer you only need a car for six years - same as the warranty here in Canada - and then buy another Mustang. So you are covered for the motor and nothing to worry about.

But my last 5.0 lasted 18 years still going strong so that was two cars Ford got ripped off because the V8 was made too well. This is how they look at it. But as a guy at retirement age I want a car that lasts longer than the warranty- sonFird has to do better...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Aren't the Cummins ISX engines good for upward of about 2000 ft*lbs? I know HP varies quite a bit.

I'll have to ask my son what his W900 has got for power and torque these days. All I know is that it's not the original engine.

Norm

I’m going off memory here but some motors got to almost 2,300 lb ft of torque and we are going back a few years. Now watch someone jump down my throat asking for sources...

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
That may be a fair enough reason for being skeptical/not being thrilled with the Coyote. But that's where it stops, and identifying what you don't like about the Coyote doesn't by itself say anything about this 7.3L engine or whether it would be a better choice solely on the basis of whatever your particular preferred performance metric might be.

Norm

Getting the 7.3 has more to do with fulfilling a wish by my younger self. If you step outside of a linear time continuum you can fulfill dreams by getting them later even if you hate the idea in the present. There I go with alternative forms of thought. Silly me...

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I have an S550 right now that has not had a single issue in almost 2 years. Started in -25 degree weather without a hiccup. If I am going to sell that, and buy a new GT, that thing as to be bullet proof - end of discussion!...
There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of 5.0 owners that can make that exact same claim. You can’t use one data point to determine that the v6 has a failure rate of 0.00%. For instance, my 5.0 has no tick and has been running at nearly double the stock power level for a year and 15,000 miles. Does that prove the 5.0 is bullet proof with a 0.00% failure rate? I think not.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
But my last 5.0 lasted 18 years still going strong so that was two cars Ford got ripped off because the V8 was made too well. This is how they look at it. But as a guy at retirement age I want a car that lasts longer than the warranty- sonFird has to do better...
You have zero information to back up claims that the 5.0 won’t do this and the 7.3 will.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
A fair enough question...

It’s all about feel for me. I yearn for the feel of the truck motors I drive every day that get you the torque down low. That is why I want a truck motor in my Mustang.

Max rpm for the truck I was just driving was a little over 2,000 rpm and I had it floored for 35 minutes of a 45 minute round trip. On the rigs we have we are not supposed to go over 1550 rpm while it gives you 2000 lb ft of torque.

I have driven this way for 32 years and want my personal car to have the same feel.

That’s the long and short of it. I actually like the 7.3 as is. As bizarre as that is to you other guys. Perhaps you guys should drive some heavy machinery for a while so you can appreciate what I desire...
I brought this thread up to one of our local truckers we see almost daily. He is about as big of a car nut as I know. He drives a semi with a 48' trailer daily. I asked him in his fun car would he rather have massive low end torque and something that falls on its face or something he can wind out. He wanted something he could wind out. He wanted something the complete opposite of what he drives for 12+ hours a day. He wanted something that just kept on pulling in the higher RPMs

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I brought this thread up to one of our local truckers we see almost daily. He is about as big of a car nut as I know. He drives a semi with a 48' trailer daily. I asked him in his fun car would he rather have massive low end torque and something that falls on its face or something he can wind out. He wanted something he could wind out. He wanted something the complete opposite of what he drives for 12+ hours a day. He wanted something that just kept on pulling in the higher RPMs

It depends.

If he is true linehaul I can understand it. These days I just do shuttles like 25 minutes one way. There is a difference. Some guys like to drive and I mean deep into the States from Canada. It’s totally different than my reality. Plus I’m retirement age and will leave all that soon. So a little reminder in my Mustang’s engine bay would be nice...

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Was
Was gonna say something to this effect. After I was done for the day the last thing I wanted was a slow to accelerate have to shift 13 gears vehicle. Tons of torque, absolutely, but had to shift multiple times to use it properly.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I love a great car that can accelerate like a bat out of hell. However, the car I loved driving the most out of anything I've ever owned, was a "barely get out of its own way" Miata. I could take that car into any turn at any speed and it just handled like it was on rails. It was too bad I was too tall for that car, otherwise I'd probably still have that car today. I basically couldn't see anything unless the top was down. And my feet would get stuck behind the pedals when I was getting into the car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If this were your reason and you were consistent then I don’t think anyone could argue with that.

I’m also on the look out for a mint Captain Scarlet Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle. Yup - I am one sad character... :cwl:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This thread is like the undead of threads. I think it died somewhere on the first page and Fatguy Vlad bit into it and it crossed over. The only thing that can make this good is if it shows up on an episode of the Walking Dead.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of 5.0 owners that can make that exact same claim. You can’t use one data point to determine that the v6 has a failure rate of 0.00%. For instance, my 5.0 has no tick and has been running at nearly double the stock power level for a year and 15,000 miles. Does that prove the 5.0 is bullet proof with a 0.00% failure rate? I think not.
My engine rattles some, but runs amazingly well. I can roast the RE71Rs in 1st and 2nd. Honestly, I have been debating if there is even a need to get headers and IM porting at this point. I already have about as much mid range power as one can utilize in the street. If I am really aggressive and it is around 80F outside, I can come close to being able to launch it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I’ll give you guys some more. This is all on Ford...In their minds there Isn’t I real problem. They don’t like financing longer than six years, so if you are a good little consumer you only need a car for six years...and then buy another Mustang. So you are covered for the motor and nothing to worry about.

This logic is so convoluted I can't even get my head around it.

You're saying that Ford will only finance for 6 years, so the warranty is only for 6 years, so the engine will only last 6 years? There's so much wrong with this....I can't even begin to....

The OEMs go to great lengths to extend the engine life well beyond the warranty period. I've seen some internal documents that prove it. It has to do with building a long-term reputation. I, for one, was surprised they were concerned with engine life of 10+ years.

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
They don’t like financing longer than six years, so if you are a good little consumer you only need a car for six years - same as the warranty here in Canada - and then buy another Mustang. So you are covered for the motor and nothing to worry about.
Assuming "They" is in reference to Ford, do bear in mind that they'll gladly offer you a 7 year loan (at least here in the US). Some markets are even trialing 8 years. Loaning for longer periods is actually way more profitable for the lender in this case, and Ford in particular gets to make money twice on the same car (profit in the transfer to the dealership, then more profit off your financing the purchase).
Sponsored