Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
But outside of the enthusiasts it is true.

Be honest - to Joe Average on the street, the 7.3 will be looked at as more desirable than the 5.0.

And I’m being nice. I actually had penis size and thrusts per minute in the same equations as horsepower and stuff like that. But I didn’t go there because it would have been in bad taste.
Anybody that's a Drag Racer or is just sick of repairing the Coyote will view the 7.3 way above the 5.0 or any other variation of the mod motor.

Everybody is stuck on a smallish displacement V-8 because it has dual overhead cams.
But guess what, it only revs to 8,000rpm.
Much higher with very expensive mods.......and a bunch of money.
In the end, a large displacement pushrod V-8 will turn just as many RPM's and for less money.
The 7.3 will deliver power at such a low rpm and then carry it all the way to the same redline.
Mod for Mod.......and for much less money.
For the Coyote to beat the 7.3 or any SBF and this includes the LS, Forced induction must be used.
All major builders, not tuners say that the Coyote must have the valve springs upgraded.
This means that the cam bearing caps must be changed out because they break.
The secondary timing chains must be changed.
The bores should be in all cases resleeved.
Anything over 750hp all but dictates this with the 3rd Gen if longevity is a concern.
Ring gaps must or should be opened up.
Some of these builders say the pistons should be changed too.

When all of this is taken into account, the 7.3 looks good.
People tend to forget how much weight a blower and supporting hardware adds.

So I say keep it simple and keep it cheap.
Let the swaps begin.
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
@Erik Yellow Bullet? Seriously dude? LMFAO.
Come on over......you won't get banned there and guess what? Fans of other brands will be weighing in.
The true cost of the Coyote.......vs any pushrod motor.
You open the thread over there. I'll be watching.

I think you already know what the results are going to be.....
Oh by the way, the community pack mentality will not be a issue.

P.S. This isn't really a Overhead cam vs Pushrods debate.
Be well prepared.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Come on over......you won't get banned there and guess what? Fans of other brands will be weighing in.
The true cost of the Coyote.......vs any pushrod motor.
You open the thread over there. I'll be watching.

I think you already know what the results are going to be.....
Oh by the way, the community pack mentality will not be a issue.

P.S. This isn't really a Overhead cam vs Pushrods debate.
Be well prepared.

Everyone likes to get into the nitty gritty of the engines. But sometimes it is a very simple argument.

Take for example the Jaguar E-Type. I remember this from my youth, and it came in basically 2 flavours. One was usually the earlier straight 6 and the second was the later V12. I don’t have to tell you the V12 was the one to get. When the V12 was introduced the 6 was sold along side but was quickly dropped. Everyone wanted that larger engine and the V12 was icing on the cake.

The funny thing is that I believe the I6 was actually faster than the V12, and probably handled better too though I would not know. But everyone wanted the bigger motor! The idea of that sexy massively long hood with a V12 was just the sexiest iconic image to have as a young man back then. The performance figures didn’t matter. Everyone wanted that engine!

The six was dropped due to lack of interest. The ordinary folk who keep the factories churning out cars just wanted the V12 and what they say goes.

For the Mustang a Big Block V8 option would be hugely popular and it would cut into 5.0 sales. People would want the big motor “just because” and it’s the people with their fat wallets that decide what stays and what goes. Forget about the 7.3 for a moment, just say they came out with a high horsepower big block pushrod motor - what would you choose?

The average consumer buys things on impulse and emotion. A proper big block option would cut deep into Coyotes sales and could possibly replace it. It all comes down to perception in the market and a 7.3 beats a 5.0 any day of the week - even if (like the Jaguar) the smaller motor was faster and handled better.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
We are not back at page one. I have learned much in this thread with input and insight given from auto enthusiasts and most importantly, the engineers who’s analytic and superior cognitive abilities, have shown me the folly of my original and misguided preconceptions of the 7.3 swap. I bow to the immanence of their automotive acumen. You guys are the best!

We have also shown that as an international board, gear heads of all races, creeds and nationalities, can congregate, discuss and draw important conclusions to our community, and in the end set an example for all the people of the world to look upon with awe and wonder.

In this place, we have proven that humanity can rise above their base instincts, and follow true self-determination that is an example the rest of the world “must” follow...

:clap:

So is this the first time on the forums..? Because the rest of us have known that knowledge for a good 20 years now and graduated to becoming long-standing community members, here and in many other communities.

Thanks for your adventures if pseudo-psychology... of "online" peer pressure. I always thought that was called debate...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
:clap:

So is this the first time on the forums..? Because the rest of us have known that knowledge for a good 20 years now and graduated to becoming long-standing community members, here and in many other communities.

For me it was about 18 years ago when I started posting on forums. At that time it was mainly teenagers using them. I spent my entire vacation (I was in vacation at the time). I watched as through the day we went through different time zones with different kids coming in. We had all kinds of discussions and they loved me for who I was, but I had issues with the way they were being educated.

So I decided that rather being a misanthrope I would try to make their world a better place for them.

The best was checking up on them years later and seeing them mouth the same ideals I taught them in the past - Be still my beating heart!

Some are with my organization even today. So yes, that corny statement rings true to me in that way. The internet changed my life even through I swore the computer was evil and tossed all my punch cards down a sewer under old man Ryerson’s statute at Ryerson University and never went to another class. That was the only course I ever failed. It was my father’s course but he left before I went to Ryerson. But it was funny that it was his course... It took me like 20 years to come back.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
For me it was about 18 years when I started posting on forums. At that time it was mainly teenagers using them. I spent my entire vacation (I was in vacation at the time). I watched as though the day we went through different time zone with different kids coming in. We had all kinds of discussions and they loved me for who I was, but I had issues with the way they were being educated.

So I decided that rather being a misanthrope I would try to make their world a better place for them.

The best was checking up on them years later and seeing them mouth he same ideals I taught them in the past - Be still my beating heart!

Some are with my organization even today. So yes, that corny statement rings true to me in that way.

And a debate you are loosing.
For the Mustang a Big Block V8 option would be hugely popular and it would cut into 5.0 sales. People would want the big motor “just because” and it’s the people with their fat wallets that decide what stays and what goes. Forget about the 7.3 for a moment, just say they came out with a high horsepower big block pushrod motor - what would you choose?
You are still dreaming.

Your points don't make any sense, they are not based in reality. No, a Big Block would not be hugely popular less so than the GT350. And no people would not want the Big Block "just because"... because that is not a reason, it is YOUR reason.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

And a debate you are loosing.

You are still dreaming.

Your points don't make any sense, they are not based in reality. No, a Big Block would not be hugely popular less so than the GT350. And no people would not want the Big Block "just because"... because that is not a reason, it is YOUR reason.

Actually you pay me a compliment. I do nobody any good thinking like everyone else.

Thanks!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...For the Mustang a Big Block V8 option would be hugely popular and it would cut into 5.0 sales. People would want the big motor “just because” and it’s the people with their fat wallets that decide what stays and what goes. Forget about the 7.3 for a moment, just say they came out with a high horsepower big block pushrod motor - what would you choose?

The average consumer buys things on impulse and emotion. A proper big block option would cut deep into Coyotes sales and could possibly replace it. It all comes down to perception in the market and a 7.3 beats a 5.0 any day of the week - even if (like the Jaguar) the smaller motor was faster and handled better.
The simple 2-year existence of the 7.0 camaro z28 proves everything you said to be wrong.

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
The simple 2-year existence of the 7.0 camaro z28 proves everything you said to be wrong.
Eh, the Z/28 wasn't exactly just a large displacement (still small block though..) 'option' on the Camaro. It was an (overpriced) extremely track oriented option developed at the end of the life cycle of the 5th gen platform. No matter how popular it was it wouldn't have lasted more than 2 years as the 6th gen was slated to come out. Also, the Z/28 used the LS7 as it was available from the Corvette at the time.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I mean next in this thread lets compare the Ford V10 used in SuperDutys to the Dodge Viper V10..........

I mean that would make about as much sense as the rest of the discussion here LOLOLOL

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
People tend to forget how much weight a blower and supporting hardware adds.
How worried should someone be about the weight of an item they can pick up and toss into the trunk by themselves, when this item gives them around a quarter of a thousand horsepower or more to play with?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Eh, the Z/28 wasn't exactly just a large displacement (still small block though..) 'option' on the Camaro. It was an (overpriced) extremely track oriented option developed at the end of the life cycle of the 5th gen platform. No matter how popular it was it wouldn't have lasted more than 2 years as the 6th gen was slated to come out. Also, the Z/28 used the LS7 as it was available from the Corvette at the time.
I am fully aware of the what/why/how regarding the 7.0 camaro. But it still didn’t do all the bad things to the 6.2 that fatguy says the 7.3 would do to the 5.0, which was my point.
Sponsored