Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 V8 - Shadow Black - Manual - Ebony Interior
It was ex demo with only 300 miles, I’m currently dealing with Ford Uk and the dealership but I drove it home from around 200 miles away so I can’t just ‘pop back’. I’m dealing with my local dealer who has had it 2 weeks, I’ve driven it about 3 times. I’m so upset about it all. If it can’t be fixed and even replacement engine the same then how is this fair?
I feel your pain it’s not fair but you made a mistake buying an ex demo, I guess you’ve not bought many cars in your time. Those ex demos are hammered by the sales guys when they take them home in the evening and also by the test driving customers, Without trying to sound terrible, they definitely saw you coming and have palmed off a substandard car onto you. Exactly how many days have you had the car since signing on the dotted line? Dealing through another dealer will not help either as it costs them time and money (that was paid to another garage) to sort out your problem. It really is a catch 22 situation pal. Surely dealing with the original dealer would be a better option??
Sponsored

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I feel your pain it’s not fair but you made a mistake buying an ex demo, I guess you’ve not bought many cars in your time. Those ex demos are hammered by the sales guys when they take them home in the evening and also by the test driving customers, Without trying to sound terrible, they definitely saw you coming and have palmed off a substandard car onto you. Exactly how many days have you had the car since signing on the dotted line? Dealing through another dealer will not help either as it costs them time and money (that was paid to another garage) to sort out your problem. It really is a catch 22 situation pal. Surely dealing with the original dealer would be a better option??
Yeh I did take the chance. The car is immaculate a part from this issue (albeit everyone seems to have it!) I’ll sort something as it’s within the 30 days but won’t be easy like you said

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Yeh I did take the chance. The car is immaculate a part from this issue (albeit everyone seems to have it!) I’ll sort something as it’s within the 30 days but won’t be easy like you said
Good luck with that. Not sure what you mean by the 30 days?

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good luck with that. Not sure what you mean by the 30 days?
Uk law allows us to return cars within 30 days if there is an ‘issue’ or ‘fault’ etc and I have Ford head office on my side, so fingers crossed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Uk law allows us to return cars within 30 days if there is an ‘issue’ or ‘fault’ etc and I have Ford head office on my side, so fingers crossed
As far as I’m aware it’s 14 calendar days, I could be wrong. Either way 14 days and you can hand it back no questions asked. They are probably keeping the car over that so you are stuck. Cheeky so and so’s it’s laughable and they probably guess you are inexperienced.

Sponsored

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thank you that’s really helpful info, u appreciate that, I’ll enquire

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Buy cheap = buy twice
Yeh I see your points but let’s get something straight here.. the car is on perfect condition it had 300 miles on the clock.. it has the rattle at 2000 rpm and not as noisy as most on here.. it doesn’t have bbq tick etc.. so with all due respect it’s no different to the other problematic cars on here bought brand new... also these cars will sell second hand one day... not everyone will know about the noises until they get used to the car etc so ex demo or not a lot of you are in the same boat any way

Sponsored

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
I bought a formal rental with 10k miles. Had full inspection and liquids replaced upon purchase. Everything cleared, and more importantly it was stock. It was probably hammered but so what?? Thats not gonna cause any issues as long as it was maintained. 300 miles is nothing. You got a lemon and its gonna be a pain but you gotta get it fixed or replaced. Good luck to you.

D6tse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bought a formal rental with 10k miles. Had full inspection and liquids replaced upon purchase. Everything cleared, and more importantly it was stock. It was probably hammered but so what?? Thats not gonna cause any issues as long as it was maintained. 300 miles is nothing. You got a lemon and its gonna be a pain but you gotta get it fixed or replaced. Good luck to you.
Exactly..not sure why I’m getting beef over an ex demo, here’s my big question - HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY HAD THIS ISSUE FIXED? We have so many reports on here, new engines, blocks etc but the noise comes back? Has anyone actually rid the noise for good? No one seems to be saying!

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So just did my first oil change at 4908 miles.

The motor was still hot AF when I drained it. 180° cylinder head temp. I put 10 quarts of Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend with a motorcraft filter which I filled before putting on.

When I first cranked it up the idle was rough for a few seconds then the BBQ tick started. Cylinder head temp was 164° when I started it up so the engine was plenty warm. So I took the car on the freeway and tapped out 3rd gear a few to 7,000 rpm (which is like 110 MPH). Got gas and did some pulls followed by engine breaking on the way home. Pull in front of my house and the tick is gone. Here's videos to prove it.

I'm not gonna act like I baby my car. I got 12.6 MPG on my last tank. Everytime I get on the freeway I try to at least hit 90-110 MPH then slow it down.

The tick video isn't even as bad as it was when I first started it. I'll know for sure tomorrow on a cold start if my car is still STD free.
I've done this exact same thing with my car as well. The tick was there, so I went out and drove in 3rd gear on the highway at 3,600rpm for about 10 minutes. Got home, and the block had swelled enough to stop the piston slap. I'm quite certain that's what this tick is. To stop most of the tick during normal use, I run PUP 5w30, added 1/2 bottle Ceratec. Then, I also installed an A/C belt tension arm, which oddly helped, but that obviously doesn't help everyone.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm starting to think they really did build these engines to run like this. To have a tick at lower rpm would seem possibly normal, since the engine is designed to run at high rpm for quite a while without damage. The fact that they raised the red line to 7,500 this year, and also increased the diameter of the piston, I think it's possible they had to build in a little more clearance to allow for expansion due to the increase in rpm and size of the piston.

My wonder then, is why are these guys getting metal in their filters? Maybe you just gotta run better oil. Heck I dunno.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
LOL, no way they designed the engine with a tick. Fact is, dudes with ticks are encountered problems later down the line. Again, i have no tick and i run my engine hard as f&&k with mediocre castrol oil. If changin oil didnt fix it, get it fixed, especially if its noticeable. Maybe throw in some heavier oil and see
Sponsored