Sponsored

2018 GT MT-82 TSB issue?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Who says you have to own a Mustang to be on this forum? I am on several forums from BMW, Porsche and this one. Doesnt mean you cant be interested in them.
Doesn't really seem like you are interested in doing anything but talking about the reasons why you wouldn't buy one. To me that's not really a great reason to be on a mustang forum, especially when you've made it obvious that you don't want one.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Doesn't really seem like you are interested in doing anything but talking about the reasons why you wouldn't buy one. To me that's not really a great reason to be on a mustang forum, especially when you've made it obvious that you don't want one.
I'm not the OP, just making an observation to your post. Sounds like the OP was interested at one point and maybe not now after these issues with the car

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
After much consideration of what was/is happening with the MT-82 ( and a few other issues) in the 2018 GT I went to the other side and got a new C7 Corvette. The way it is optioned (2LT.Mag ride etc) was not that much more money than a loaded up GT. I never got to spend enough time in either car before I wrote a check so I really cannot compare the two but this version of the Corvette is just an incredible sports car. Every thing that has been said about it is true. There are very good deals on 2018's/new 2017's leftover and new 2019's with discounts. If you really shop hard you can find a very nice Z51 or 2LT package with some goodies for 52k. New. Just saying.

I think Mustang GT is an awesome car and I hope no one else gets the gear box failure.
Who says you have to "load up" anyway? I paid $33k for my GT and got two rear seats. The C7 starts at $55k. So $20k more for the Vette? I don't think the Vette and the Mustang GT are ever cross shopped anyway, even with deals. The GT350 is the same price as the Vette, starting at $55k, and has the Tremec.

Sooo, I think you just want to bitch.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The GT350 is the same price as the Vette, starting at $55k, and has the Tremec.

Has A Tremec, not the same as in the Vette or previous GT500. The 3160 in the GT350 is much lighter duty compared to the 6060 or 6070.

OP
OP

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Who says you have to "load up" anyway? I paid $33k for my GT and got two rear seats. The C7 starts at $55k. So $20k more for the Vette? I don't think the Vette and the Mustang GT are ever cross shopped anyway, even with deals. The GT350 is the same price as the Vette, starting at $55k, and has the Tremec.

Sooo, I think you just want to bitch.
The GT's I was looking at were in the 38-45k range. The C7 I got was 52k ( new 2017 2LT w Mag Ride) so yes it was more money and yes it is a different class of car on many levels. Didn't come here to "bitch". Came here to learn and what I saw and heard from other owners having major issues with their brand new cars sent me the other way. It's all good. Saw a GT coming down the road yesterday. Awesome looking car and maybe all these issues will resolve themselves and be very isolated. I hope so. Those that are comfortable with them because they are under warranty is the mystery to me. It's not just a money issue. It's a time issue. Who wants to have to dick around with a major warranty issue and a dealership on a new car?

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The GT's I was looking at were in the 38-45k range. The C7 I got was 52k ( new 2017 2LT w Mag Ride) so yes it was more money and yes it is a different class of car on many levels. Didn't come here to "bitch". Came here to learn and what I saw and heard from other owners having major issues with their brand new cars sent me the other way. It's all good. Saw a GT coming down the road yesterday. Awesome looking car and maybe all these issues will resolve themselves and be very isolated. I hope so. Those that are comfortable with them because they are under warranty is the mystery to me. It's not just a money issue. It's a time issue. Who wants to have to dick around with a major warranty issue and a dealership on a new car?
While I am not happy about the engine rattle, my car is still running like a rocket. I haven’t heard from anyone who has the rattle in regards to any actual engine failure. Some have even reported it going away with enough aggressive driving. Not making excuses, but that could help relieve some stress about the engine.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
while i understand where you are coming from. I hope you dont think that C7 will be trouble free lol, its not like GM built a bulletproof car. go to the big C7 forum and youll see way more then a shift fork issue.. Also my GT msrp at 50k, i still only paid 39 for it.. My local chevy dealer doesnt have a c7 under 60k, but thats not to say what they would sell one for. its possible the 61k vette could be had for 50 idk.. Good luck with your vette. I hope its trouble free for you.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Has A Tremec, not the same as in the Vette or previous GT500. The 3160 in the GT350 is much lighter duty compared to the 6060 or 6070.
The whining was about the MT-82. The GT350 does not have it.

And you can't just go by the transmission numbers. The internals vary by application. Nothing about the 3160 is light duty. Plus it's beefed up for the hp/tq/rpm of the Voodoo. There's articles about this. The 6070 in a Stingray is built for a 460 hp base Vette. You can't just say one is stronger or more reliable than the other without data.

I guess time will tell if people break transmissions more in a GT350 than in a Stingray. I doubt they will.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
First of all one can option a Mustang GT to 55k easily and it's going to have the same transmission and engine so same TSB's and possible failures. And even at 40k yes I'm expecting the car to compete with just about anything when it comes to functional basic drive train. Especially a high performance car. You can cross shop more expensive Euro's or a fully loaded 2018 Miata for 30k and you'll not hear about the power train failing in the first few thousand miles. Remember people like to say negative things about stuff they buy on-line so it would be there if there was a problem. Spend some time on the Mazda forum and see how many major issues their cars are having. It won't take long.

I am now seeing fully optioned coupes (not convertibles) going for 61,000 Canadian and the base Stingray is 64,000. Both have issues but I’d go with the Vette. The funniest part of all in this reliability tale is that the V6 Herts Mustang has to be the most reliable S550 and that was the one they killed. Just some irony there...

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Agreed 100%

Ford dealerships don't typically do loaners so its an intentional mechanism to keep you from bringing in your car for as long as possible.

OP
OP

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
You are correct there are some issues with the C7 and some are substantial. In the C7 its the 8 speed auto trans that has the major issues with noise coming from the back of the car making a flat tire type noise. Replaced torque converters etc. Guys are going nuts on that. Dash rattles on my new car by the A/C vent. I got the manual and so far ( 2000 miles ) so good but if this car develops any issues it will be gone soon. There is just no way it is acceptable in 2018 to have these types of issues on high end cars. And I'm sorry but it's still more common on domestic vehicles. It just is.

while i understand where you are coming from. I hope you dont think that C7 will be trouble free lol, its not like GM built a bulletproof car. go to the big C7 forum and youll see way more then a shift fork issue.. Also my GT msrp at 50k, i still only paid 39 for it.. My local chevy dealer doesnt have a c7 under 60k, but thats not to say what they would sell one for. its possible the 61k vette could be had for 50 idk.. Good luck with your vette. I hope its trouble free for you.
Sponsored