Sponsored

2018 GT MT-82 Destroys itself.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Ok, the 2019 CS press release mentions Ford are introducing rev-matching on 5.0 GT's with the available Performance Package. Not across the whole 5.0 line.

The way it reads, it looks like an auto-blip feature on downshifts....not necessarily a flat shift feature.
Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Ok, the 2019 CS press release mentions Ford are introducing rev-matching on 5.0 GT's with the available Performance Package. Not across the whole 5.0 line.

The way it reads, it looks like an auto-blip feature on downshifts....not necessarily a flat shift feature.
“The standard inclusion of the no-lift-shift feature for all models is a prominent 2018 Mustang manual transmission upgrade from previous S550 models.”

However, I found one article stating the 2017 had it? Nevertheless, Ford Performance has the NLS (“flat shift” to you) in ALL their S550 Power Packs, which capture a 3/36 warranty on the car, which can start at mile 1 of a new car. Ford Performance works hand-in-hand with the regular production teams, utilizing and validating to the car through the same resources.

You want to keep nit-picking this? Sure, go ahead. It still remains, back to this topic, the major fault is the shift fork design or manufacturing.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
UPDATE

Parts arrive next Wednesday, car will be in my hands next Friday.

I got lucky with an Amazing Tech.
Just stumbled on your latest video on youtube. Sucks about the backorder. So there's no ETA on when your car will be done? I'm pretty sure a coworker has the same issue.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
“The standard inclusion of the no-lift-shift feature for all models is a prominent 2018 Mustang manual transmission upgrade from previous S550 models.”
.....You want to keep nit-picking this? Sure, go ahead....

Yeah mate, I wanna keep nit pickin' this.

That quote you got is from some outfit located in a big shed in Harrisburg PA....not fkn Dearborn MI. Show me a FORD document that says the 2018 5.0 GT that our hero here owns came from the factory with no-lift-shift.

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Order guide shows rev match as standard, no PP required
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 10.32.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 10.33.35 AM.png

Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Yeah mate, I wanna keep nit pickin' this.

That quote you got is from some outfit located in a big shed in Harrisburg PA....not fkn Dearborn MI. Show me a FORD document that says the 2018 5.0 GT that our hero here owns came from the factory with no-lift-shift.
You’re gonna need to draw it with crayons please :popcorn:

I found an article that says the 18s are actually 500whp from factory and ford lied. Article said so.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Companies usually do things to save money. Jim Hackett has a history of penny-pinching cost-cutting, shaving a few cents wherever he can. That's been his over-riding approach at Ford since tasing the helm - squeeze more profit anyway possible, by raising prices and cutting costs (and even discontinuing the passenger car lines because the profit margins aren't as high as with trucks). Of course he didn't personally design the new shift forks, he's a bean counter not an engineer, but it's his dictums that get carried out and passed down, to save a penny wherever possible.

I believe the MT82 is still made in China by Getrag. I know almost everything these days is made in China, but a complex piece of machinery like a transmission? In a country maybe not exactly always known for the highest quality standards in metallurgy and machining? Are the new aluminum shift forks also made in China by Getrag?

I've been playing with boats for most of my 60-ish year life, and have spent a lot of time on Chinese-built boats that have become very popular over the past 10 years because (big surprise) they're cheaper than North American or European built boats. I've been appalled at the poor quality of the metal parts I've seen on many of those boats - "stainless" steel that starts rusting before the boat even leaves the dealer, and cleats that bend or break under load. I can't help but think about the internal components of the MT82, if any of those parts are made to the same 'quality' standards I've seen on some marine components.

Like others have said, I think I'll be keeping my 2015 GT (despite it's own first-year issues) for a while before thinking about a Bullitt or a new GT, until bugs like this get sorted out.

"It's the stingy man who spends the most", a lesson I think it would be good for Hackett to think about.

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Glad I got a pre-Hackett Mustang... going to be holding on to it. The 2018 model is a good example of maximizing profit above anything else.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I got a pre-Hackett Mustang... going to be holding on to it. The 2018 model is a good example of maximizing profit above anything else.
Well, not quite...I'm glad I got a Mulally Mustang. Hackett wasn't even close to being CEO when the decision to change to aluminum forks was made.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Also rev-matching is not no-lift shifting. Not sure how people are confusing those.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Also rev-matching is not no-lift shifting. Not sure how people are confusing those.
No, NLS and actuve rev-match are different. But this bum wants to use the point of NLS being confirmed or not (from the factory) as a pivot point to make himself feel better and try to make it look like what we don’t know what we’re talking about; nevermind EVERYTHING else factual and sound in engineering that was pointed out.

Yeah, get out the crayons.
[MENTION=35287]Jimmy G[/MENTION] - you don’t want to believe the facts? Go ahead, brother.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No, NLS and actuve rev-match are different. But this bum wants to use the point of NLS being confirmed or not (from the factory) as a pivot point to make himself feel better and try to make it look like what we don’t know what we’re talking about; nevermind EVERYTHING else factual and sound in engineering that was pointed out.

Yeah, get out the crayons.
[MENTION=35287]Jimmy G[/MENTION] - you don’t want to believe the facts? Go ahead, brother.
No-lift shifting can be done on the 15-17 MT82. It's rough for the trans and clutch but it does work. I quick shift instead of no-lift, although have done a few of them. There isn't any software that will cut spark while you're doing it, though, which is what many think of as "having no-lift shift".

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I've been on a few car forums but the level of manufacturer fanboy-ism on this particular forum is exponentially higher than the others. Some people just can't be objective.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'd think if "no lift shifting" was part of the capability of the 2018s, it would be in the ower's manual. Looking at the owner's manual, there is no mention of it anywhere.
Sponsored