Sponsored

2018 MT-82 4D TSB.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Anytime they change the letter at the end of the part number that means its a revision aka a redesigned part.
Not necessarily, part number can change when they come from a different supplier.
Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I made a post a while about about my MT-82 4D losing 3/4 gear.

Well, after 42 days now, Ford FINALLY has an answer for me other than "We have no ETA for your vehicle."

I was given the run around, told 4-5 different times that transmissions were being emergency ordered, that shift forks were back ordered for months.

All the while they were redesigning the forks/synchros.

I talk a little more about the TSB in the video below.

Watch it if you'd like, don't if you don't want too.

TSB 18-2175 is the TSB, if you are having issues shifting into 3/4 they will try and reproduce the error, if they can, they will replace the parts listed.

36493729_2096556143965690_398470036177551360_n.jpg

Thanks for your effort on this and the ending result of a formal TSB. That is very re-assuring (I feel a huge relief should I ever encounter such an issue.)

Thank you Ford - let's hope this puts an end to the issue.

PS: Further thanks for not lemon lawing it. If the new fix works - I'm sure you will prove it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, fake news. Won't watch it.
Then don't watch it lol.

It's not "fake news", a TSB is issued, and I was misinformed, I corrected it.

Thanks for your effort on this and the ending result of a formal TSB. That is very re-assuring (I feel a huge relief should I ever encounter such an issue.)

Thank you Ford - let's hope this puts an end to the issue.

PS: Further thanks for not lemon lawing it. If the new fix works - I'm sure you will prove it.
I love the car, I really didn't want to lemon law it, just hoping that this fix is what we were needing.

I'll be keeping everyone up to speed of course.

Sponsored

Doobie083

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you think that Ford got this done quick enough to go in the early 2019?

OP
OP
Ls_Eater

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think that Ford got this done quick enough to go in the early 2019?
I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t implement it into the new model year, but who knows *♂.

If I were a betting man I’d say it’s implemented in the 2019.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The unanswered question still is if the parts are redesigned or not.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Then don't watch it lol.

It's not "fake news", a TSB is issued, and I was misinformed, I corrected it.

I love the car, I really didn't want to lemon law it, just hoping that this fix is what we were needing.

I'll be keeping everyone up to speed of course.
Just hope the techs who work on yours don't make things worse. My new '89 LX 5.0 had similar symptoms. The dealer rebuilt it and it immediately had worse but different issues. So they rebuilt it again. And again different issues after that rebuild. Finally Ford shipped them a complete trans to install. They weren't able to mess that up so my arson plans went unused.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
"FU?" Really? Anybody can wreck a transmission, A real hamfist can wreck a bulletproof trans in 100 miles of driving, and a smooth operator can eke out many thousand of miles on a weak transmission.

Sometimes it's a little bit of both.

Glad you are getting taken care of. You do get a lot of attention bashing Ford and posting inflammatory titles. I mean, if everying was AOK there's no clicks so you must admit to exaggeration.

As an owner of a MT 2018, and an engineer, I'm looking for accurate information. You could have some. Let's find out.

I can't help thinking, having made a study of transmissions, that if it was a design problem it would affect more than a tiny percentage of cars. Likely a lot of people driving theirs much faster, on racetracks, with a lot more HP would have had issue.

So your unfortunate trouble is probably just another typical failure edge case in a complex mechanical part. Oherwise it really would be a recall, and not a TSB. Definitely a hassle and a far too long to wait. It would be nice if they compensated you for your trouble.

However, I can find no evidence that Ford "redesigned" anything. Can still be the fact that when somebody bends a fork, the TSB is merely helping dealer mechanics to make a quicker diagnosis and repair. Don't forget the Ford dealerships charge Ford corporate for warranty work, and Ford corporate would like to make those reapirs go faster.

Of course if they replaced a fork with a stonger one you may be right. But the thought that The MT forks were insufficiently strong is... hard to believe.

If you know of actual fork changes that are going into the new MT-82 please post a link to where you got this information. Not hearsay from a service manager. Transmssion documents are breakfast reading for me so please share for all of us.

I think none, but I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Regarding the statement that the forks werent built inefficiently strong, I haven't banged gears and I granny shift almost every day. I have had two third gear grinds in the past week.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
"FU?" Really? Anybody can wreck a transmission, A real hamfist can wreck a bulletproof trans in 100 miles of driving, and a smooth operator can eke out many thousand of miles on a weak transmission.

Sometimes it's a little bit of both.

Glad you are getting taken care of. You do get a lot of attention bashing Ford and posting inflammatory titles. I mean, if everying was AOK there's no clicks so you must admit to exaggeration.

As an owner of a MT 2018, and an engineer, I'm looking for accurate information. You could have some. Let's find out.

I can't help thinking, having made a study of transmissions, that if it was a design problem it would affect more than a tiny percentage of cars. Likely a lot of people driving theirs much faster, on racetracks, with a lot more HP would have had issue.

So your unfortunate trouble is probably just another typical failure edge case in a complex mechanical part. Oherwise it really would be a recall, and not a TSB. Definitely a hassle and a far too long to wait. It would be nice if they compensated you for your trouble.

However, I can find no evidence that Ford "redesigned" anything. Can still be the fact that when somebody bends a fork, the TSB is merely helping dealer mechanics to make a quicker diagnosis and repair. Don't forget the Ford dealerships charge Ford corporate for warranty work, and Ford corporate would like to make those reapirs go faster.

Of course if they replaced a fork with a stonger one you may be right. But the thought that The MT forks were insufficiently strong is... hard to believe.

If you know of actual fork changes that are going into the new MT-82 please post a link to where you got this information. Not hearsay from a service manager. Transmssion documents are breakfast reading for me so please share for all of us.

I think none, but I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong.
In a way you are right. The idea is to not just throw parts at a car. So, a TSB is not going to tell a tech to forget normal diagnostics and just replace parts without a reason. This is especially true when there is a part number change. Essentially, this type of TSB is a communication of confirmation from an OE that there is an established issue, and rather than make a tech and customer go through a ringer of diagnostics/repair, direct them to make a repair with “revised” components/software for the said confirmed issue, without actually saying, “there is an issue with XXX - please install the revised XXX”.

Companies do not want a recall associated with their name. They won’t initiate them if they can get away with assessing the situation in other means. I am not saying that THIS particular situation is/could be a recall. However, you cannot say, “there is no issue - you are 1 of 5 people that will ever see this.” If that’s the case, I will put money on it, there would be no TSB...

At least Ford is addressing it :thumbsup:
Sponsored