Sponsored

2015 GT PP 6-speed mt-82 issue no warranty?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this clutch is covered by Ford. Unless he was romping on this car consistently, this clutch should not have failed in this way. Such a thing doesn't make ANY sense. It is probably a materials failure. Got a bad clutch.

That or he's posting on here hoping he gets it covered but really did romp on the car without mercy, but still... that is some pretty messed up clutch.
Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT

Perhaps they just did 30 seconds of searching on the interwebz and found this posting of yours:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=405652#post405652

"2. When I slowly let off the clutch while holding the accelerator at 5000 RPM ...

Just throwing that out there....If I was Ford, and I saw that you did things like this, I'd probably decline to warranty your clutch as well.

Best,
wow, that was an interesting read. high speed clutch dumps, hard launches, multiple broken shifters, and now a failed clutch :

01-04-2015

1. You're doing this in the first two weeks you had the car? You're not using the recommended break-in procedures? Please post your VIN so that everybody can be sure to never ever buy your car in the used market.

2. Where did Ford publish 0-60 times? Or are you trying to match magazine review times, where they admittedly use destructive launch techniques to get those times? There's a reason the world is littered with WRX's and GTR's with exploded transmissions.
:headbonk:

OP should not have wasted any time on previous warranty repairs. Just pony up for the MGW aftermarket shifter (or equiv) and a high torque ceramic clutch disc.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this clutch is covered by Ford. Unless he was romping on this car consistently, this clutch should not have failed in this way. Such a thing doesn't make ANY sense. It is probably a materials failure. Got a bad clutch.
Must have got a lot of other bad parts because his shifter broke off (twice) before this problem.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
http://www.autoclutch.co.nz/causes-of-clutch-disc-failure-xidc87938.html
Causes of Clutch Disc Failure

These diagnostic comments are based on the premise that the flywheels are Ground and Machined to OE specifications. If the flywheel has not been machined when fitting a new clutch it is a given fact that premature clutch failure WILL OCCUR . Also it assumes that the clutch releasing systems are in perfect operational condition.

Causes of Clutch Disc Damage Burst or Broken Facings.

3. Mis-Shifting a gear while driving at speed can also cause the plate to accelerate past its facing burst strength as per the previous paragraphs 1 & 2.

5. Repeated harsh clutch engagement at high engine RPM can also cause the facing material to break away from the Backing plate or damage the clutch hub the stop pins-and blow out the compression springs causing compete clutch disc failure.

Addendum:
Because the Clutch Pressure plate (Cover Assembly) is less efficient than the Flywheel as a Heat Sink the Cover side linings operating temperatures will be greater and that particular lining will be more likely to carbonize, become brittle and BURST from excessive heat damage.

Last edited:

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
given the above, this thread is at best an ambiguous situation.

best to move along, nothing to see here

My main concern would be that OP got a quality repair for his $1700, including brand new flywheel, flywheel bolts, throw-out bearing, along with the clutch disc and related gear.

OP, next time get the Exedy Stage 3 clutch kit (616 Ft-lbs) or McLeod RXT :thumbsup:

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Sounds like a pretty expensive lesson all around. I agree with the poster who said that you paying them in advance pretty much broadcasted your agreement to complete the repair. You had ample chances to stop this train wreck and made some pretty poor choices. I suspect that a legal avenue isn't likely to accomplish anything other than enriching a lawyer (and you'll still have to pay the stealer to get your car back). Might be time to lodge those complaints with BBB, pay the bill, and move on with life.

Perhaps they just did 30 seconds of searching on the interwebz and found this posting of yours:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=405652#post405652

"2. When I slowly let off the clutch while holding the accelerator at 5000 RPM, I expect the RPM to drop in the range from 3000 to 5000 RPM as the wheels spin a little and I adjust the clutch to get the least tire spin. However, if I just let the clutch out completely at 3000 RPM after starting at 5000 RPM when I first started to let the clutch out, the power is reduced from the engine for some reason and I get low torque from 3000-5000 RPM as compared to when I just let the clutch out at 3000 RPM initially without starting at 5000.

Just throwing that out there....If I was Ford, and I saw that you did things like this, I'd probably decline to warranty your clutch as well.

Best,

:headbonk::headbonk::headbonk::headbonk: GOT BUSTED

#2 don't post every freaking thing on internet about your car or life.
#3 this is what I call owner playing victim big bad dealership and Ford. When it's owner wanting warranty to cover there oops. THIS is what pisses me off that I see on internet forums " they screwed me and then everyone yes they did". BUT we don't have other side of the story.

I do agree they shouldn't have put it back together "if this is true"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Although it appears the story of my broken clutch appears to be over since the service shop and Ford customer service both said I'm out of luck .... I got a call today from somebody from Ford saying it will be handled by Thursday.

Not 100% sure what is going to happen, but I am sure it's better than no luck at all. Maybe I will have some luck with my ordeal yet. TBD.

BTW, I do like to post my experiences because communication with others is how you learn, get advice, and share knowledge. Also, if you are proud of your $42K car, you want to talk about it. If you have a problem with your $42K car, you want to talk about it also. Before judging, always think... If I were in the same situation, how would I feel? I think that's the reason for this forum.

Last edited:

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
:headbonk::headbonk::headbonk::headbonk: GOT BUSTED

#2 don't post every freaking thing on internet about your car or life.
#3 this is what I call owner playing victim big bad dealership and Ford. When it's owner wanting warranty to cover there oops. THIS is what pisses me off that I see on internet forums " they screwed me and then everyone yes they did". BUT we don't have other side of the story.
lol

If I were to "slowly let off the clutch while holding the accelerator at 5000 RPM" I'd expect my clutch to be done in short order....

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Talks about how much he spent on the car means nothing. Thats like saying because he paid more makes you more important not really. Judging, funny how people jump on owners side now the truth comes out :crazy:.

Maybe this is way I fight with so many online in forums. Because there's always far MORE to it than what's being said. Maybe also because I work for dealership and that forums group techs, dealers, manufacture as bad guys trying to screw them and that we're stupid. Seen many who try to screw dealer, manufacture over too. My take on forums what they say 10% truth other 90% BS especially when they're upset and pissed

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
Talks about how much he spent on the car means nothing. Thats like saying because he paid more makes you more important not really. Judging, funny how people jump on owners side now the truth comes out :crazy:.

Maybe this is way I fight with so many online in forums. Because there's always far MORE to it than what's being said. Maybe also because I work for dealership and that forums group techs, dealers, manufacture as bad guys trying to screw them and that we're stupid. Seen many who try to screw dealer, manufacture over too. My take on forums what they say 10% truth other 90% BS especially when they're upset and pissed
I think there's a LOT of room for improvement in the dealership experience and WAY too much variability in quality (all Ford dealers OUGHT to meet some reasonably high bar for quality and integrity). That said, this guy is clearly trying to game the system. When you get someone that abuses the product and then tries to sleaze a free repair, we all take the hit in the form of higher prices and a more suspicious/skeptical process when we have bona fide issues. I also felt sorry for the guy until I read some of his previous posts. Any semblance of sympathy/empathy has evaporated.

If you're going to beat on your vehicle and you break it, man up and deal with the consequences instead of squealing like a stuck pig and trying to mask the fact that you did this to yourself. Pay the bill and move on.

Best,

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
One thing that is strange is OP wasn't sure of the exact failure. But he got the idea if it was clutch, to just install a heavy-duty McLeod RXT clutch, and had two dealerships decline to do that.

His primary dealership even said that a McLeod would void his entire powertrain warranty, including the engine. Say what?

Do we know if a Ford dealership will install an aftermarket clutch? Or is this always the domain of independent mechanics?

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I'm pretty sure some do, depends on the dealership. In fact 6GM member and Ford sales general manager "Five oh Brian" has had his dealership install a number of aftermarket parts on his '14 GT including a "Circle D" torque converter if im not mistaken. But as far as how these parts affect his warranty l wouldn't know off hand.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I think there's a LOT of room for improvement in the dealership experience and WAY too much variability in quality (all Ford dealers OUGHT to meet some reasonably high bar for quality and integrity). That said, this guy is clearly trying to game the system. When you get someone that abuses the product and then tries to sleaze a free repair, we all take the hit in the form of higher prices and a more suspicious/skeptical process when we have bona fide issues. I also felt sorry for the guy until I read some of his previous posts. Any semblance of sympathy/empathy has evaporated.

If you're going to beat on your vehicle and you break it, man up and deal with the consequences instead of squealing like a stuck pig and trying to mask the fact that you did this to yourself. Pay the bill and move on.

Best,

Depends if you base this off internet or actual surveys? 99% of forums always jump to the side of poster.

Yes he tried and failed to pull a fast one. Does it hurt people with real problems YES.

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I'd like to thank all of the people who offered suggestions on how to handle this experience. I value your opinions and good links to supportive information.

Although I want to enjoy my sporty car to the fullest, I certainly didn't want to go through months of down-time waiting for my car to be fixed as I'm sure nobody else would either. The pain of not having a car for months while depending on a flawed and slow repair process really sucks. I never used warranty repair before I had this car, so I assumed that if you purchased a new top of the line quality car and it broke under normal driving conditions (remember - muscle car here with beefed up parts), it would be repaired under warranty. I was wrong in the case of a clutch repair.

I learned that if your clutch breaks for any reason, Ford says you have to pay out of pocket. My service shop told Ford warranty that my broken clutch should not be under warranty repair. Their proof is that it physically broke, and clutches don't just break by themselves from what they told me. That's proof enough for them to not warranty it. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion. I asked them to write down the reason I have to pay $1733 for a non-warranty repair based on the 'evidence' they used to not pay anything towards the repair, but I was told that was impossible to write that down and give it to me! I am not making this stuff up. I guess if I didn't drive my car, it wouldn't break.

If I knew my clutch was broken, and I knew I wan't going to get it covered under warranty repair, I would still tell the story of my experience. I really didn't know what the issue was, had no trust for the service shop or warranty process as I've been through it several times now with my car, and felt like I was getting ripped off (and who knows, I might be) having to pay for repairs on my new car.

I also learned to ignore the postings from 'hidden' Ford reps (friends/family works for Ford) who also troll these boards and always blame the customer/driver for all problems with their car as well as post links to Ford-only websites (you know who you are). These guys have only one purpose - pump up Ford all of the time and protect Ford from any bad rep because their livelihood depends on it! So if you read somebody posting that any problem with your car is generally the customer's fault and costing Ford money is always the wrong thing to do - just laugh it off like I do - I encourage you to continue to tell your story, even if it makes Ford look bad!

Thanks again for everybody's advice as I never used the complicated and frustrating warranty repair process before last year. I used to think if your un-modified car broke during normal driving, it gets fixed for free. I still feel unsatisfied that Ford won't pay for the clutch nor write down why they won't pay for it. Ford told me, at least you get a new 24-month warranty on your new clutch and related parts! This extra annoyed me because I just learned there is no warranty based on my experience here and I didn't want to put the same POS original clutch back in my car, but I was forced to (confirmed with the zone rep that any non-Ford beefed-up clutch voids you warranty on engine/transmission!). I now learned how to detect a broken clutch (if the car is on and you can't shift into gear, but you can shift if the car is off) so I know the next time to not even bother taking my car to a Ford service shop when it breaks again. My car is a daily driver car and I don't 'race' it - but I do like to get good acceleration. Like I said in an earlier post, you really can't fight with a big company and win without support.

Last edited:

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... I assumed that if you purchased a new top of the line quality car
Mustang is a 30-32k car. Much less expensive than its competition. Prices beyond that are layering on luxury, not performance. If you want more performance, the aftermarket is there to serve you

it broke under normal driving conditions (remember - muscle car here with beefed up parts),
some of the stuff I read didn't look like "normal" driving conditions. As indicated on page 1: You went through multiple shifters, and this - "Warranty repairs included installing a brand new transmission as well as doing some synchro work", and now a clutch.

I learned that if your clutch breaks for any reason, Ford says you have to pay out of pocket. My service shop told Ford warranty that my broken clutch should not be under warranty repair. Their proof is that it physically broke, and clutches don't just break by themselves from what they told me. That's proof enough for them to not warranty it. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion.
It appeared that your clutch had heat damage. Overheated clutch can easily come apart. Please re-read :

http://www.autoclutch.co.nz/causes-of-clutch-disc-failure-xidc87938.html
Causes of Clutch Disc Failure

If I knew my clutch was broken, and I knew I wan't going to get it covered under warranty repair, I would still tell the story of my experience. I really didn't know what the issue was, had no trust for the service shop or warranty process as I've been through it several times now with my car, and felt like I was getting ripped off (and who knows, I might be) having to pay for repairs on my new car.
you may have been ripped off to some degree, but it appears that was in large part a failure to communicate properly with the dealership. And part of that was leaving them a large deposit, and hoping they did what you asked. Next time, get your terms in writing.

I also learned to ignore the postings from 'hidden' Ford reps (friends/family works for Ford) who also troll these boards and always blame the customer/driver
I can assure you I am not one of them. Auto's is not my line of work. Even so, we appreciate their perspective. I am sure they have seen it all.

Ford told me, at least you get a new 24-month warranty on your new clutch and related parts! This extra annoyed me because I just learned there is no warranty based on my experience here and I didn't want to put the same POS original clutch back in my car
You get that in writing? No stipulations?

but I was forced to (confirmed with the zone rep that any non-Ford beefed-up clutch voids you warranty on engine/transmission!)
if I cook my clutch, and get denied warranty, I will get aftermarket Stage 3 clutch or better. Either at the dealer, or at an independent. If I later suffer a significant engine failure and they deny warranty due to discovering an aftermarket clutch, then I will pay for the repair, but then be tempted to put up a For Sale sign.

Good luck and Cheers, :cheers:
Sponsored