Sponsored

2015 GT PP 6-speed mt-82 issue no warranty?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
addendum: I had forgot that your dealership service technician was the one that "filled the garage with smoke". Considering that, I think the dealership should have either subsidized half or all of your repair for sloppy diagnostic work. They should have did a tear down without starting the car so they could photo the failed parts in original condition. "Filling the garage with smoke" damages the evidence and makes denying warranty rather dubious.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks again for everybody's advice as I never used the complicated and frustrating warranty repair process before last year. I used to think if your un-modified car broke during normal driving, it gets fixed for free.
The rest of your post was pretty decent. And you should be commended for being honest and upfront in most of your posts. But the above is the part you still don't seem to understand. By your own words in this and more so in other threads, what you did was NOT normal driving. If you don't dial it back, you will have more expensive failures. Or you can start upgrading the car so it can take more abuse.

It sucks you didn't realize a warranty doesn't cover anything a driver can do to a car or that the parts can't handle anything thrown at them. Manufacturers sure don't go out of their way to tell customers. You probably aren't the first to think like you did.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
addendum: I had forgot that your dealership service technician was the one that "filled the garage with smoke". Considering that, I think the dealership should have either subsidized half or all of your repair for sloppy diagnostic work. They should have did a tear down without starting the car so they could photo the failed parts in original condition. "Filling the garage with smoke" damages the evidence and makes denying warranty rather dubious.
This is why I learn toward the dealer/Ford should pay something, but this could have happened with the owner 10 min. before, I suppose.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
This is why I feel the dealer/Ford needs to pay something.
Certainly a grey area. I had the same initial reaction when the OP mentioned that.

However, the car wound up there because of clear abuse by the owner. Looking at the entirety of how things progressed, I doubt that action changed the outcome (the car needed a clutch) even though it was an asinine thing to do.

Best,

bballr4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
Is it possible to burn a clutch up in 10k miles?? Very much so. Is it likely? Highly especially when the new ones from OEMs are designed to go 150k+ miles. The only iffy part here is the "garage filled with smoke". If it was burning up the clutch and the technician couldn't figure that out that is scary. Burning clutch smells AWFUL. Literally awful. It's probably the worst smell you can have in a car, well, maybe the rear end fluid changes are just as bad but still.

OP, I suggest you get a friend who knows how to drive a manual to ride with you and see what you are doing wrong. I had a friend who drove my GTO once and he literally rode the clutch every single gear change instead of using it like an on/off switch. It was brutal.

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'd like to thank all of the people who offered suggestions on how to handle this experience. I value your opinions and good links to supportive information.

Although I want to enjoy my sporty car to the fullest, I certainly didn't want to go through months of down-time waiting for my car to be fixed as I'm sure nobody else would either. The pain of not having a car for months while depending on a flawed and slow repair process really sucks. I never used warranty repair before I had this car, so I assumed that if you purchased a new top of the line quality car and it broke under normal driving conditions (remember - muscle car here with beefed up parts), it would be repaired under warranty. I was wrong in the case of a clutch repair.

I learned that if your clutch breaks for any reason, Ford says you have to pay out of pocket. My service shop told Ford warranty that my broken clutch should not be under warranty repair. Their proof is that it physically broke, and clutches don't just break by themselves from what they told me. That's proof enough for them to not warranty it. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion. I asked them to write down the reason I have to pay $1733 for a non-warranty repair based on the 'evidence' they used to not pay anything towards the repair, but I was told that was impossible to write that down and give it to me! I am not making this stuff up. I guess if I didn't drive my car, it wouldn't break.

If I knew my clutch was broken, and I knew I wan't going to get it covered under warranty repair, I would still tell the story of my experience. I really didn't know what the issue was, had no trust for the service shop or warranty process as I've been through it several times now with my car, and felt like I was getting ripped off (and who knows, I might be) having to pay for repairs on my new car.

I also learned to ignore the postings from 'hidden' Ford reps (friends/family works for Ford) who also troll these boards and always blame the customer/driver for all problems with their car as well as post links to Ford-only websites (you know who you are). These guys have only one purpose - pump up Ford all of the time and protect Ford from any bad rep because their livelihood depends on it! So if you read somebody posting that any problem with your car is generally the customer's fault and costing Ford money is always the wrong thing to do - just laugh it off like I do - I encourage you to continue to tell your story, even if it makes Ford look bad!

Thanks again for everybody's advice as I never used the complicated and frustrating warranty repair process before last year. I used to think if your un-modified car broke during normal driving, it gets fixed for free. I still feel unsatisfied that Ford won't pay for the clutch nor write down why they won't pay for it. Ford told me, at least you get a new 24-month warranty on your new clutch and related parts! This extra annoyed me because I just learned there is no warranty based on my experience here and I didn't want to put the same POS original clutch back in my car, but I was forced to (confirmed with the zone rep that any non-Ford beefed-up clutch voids you warranty on engine/transmission!). I now learned how to detect a broken clutch (if the car is on and you can't shift into gear, but you can shift if the car is off) so I know the next time to not even bother taking my car to a Ford service shop when it breaks again. My car is a daily driver car and I don't 'race' it - but I do like to get good acceleration. Like I said in an earlier post, you really can't fight with a big company and win without support.
"Hidden Ford Reps" that a good one well then you must be getting paid by GM then to throw dealership and Ford under the bus.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Certainly a grey area. I had the same initial reaction when the OP mentioned that.

However, the car wound up there because of clear abuse by the owner. Looking at the entirety of how things progressed, I doubt that action changed the outcome (the car needed a clutch) even though it was an asinine thing to do.

Best,

He's in denial because he thinks he did nothing wrong.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP

Be sure to read all of his posts and tales from previous issues and then decide if you really think a tech did this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I know. Really leaves you shaking your head and wondering about some folks. If you f00k up like that and get caught red handed, I think it's time to just take your lumps like a man and move on.

*shrug*

Best,

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Be sure to read all of his posts and tales from previous issues and then decide if you really think a tech did this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe this really happened about tech smoking the clutch.

Sponsored

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
Even if it did, I don't think it alters the culpability of the owner. From the description, the clutch was toast when it arrived at the dealer.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Even if it did, I don't think it alters the culpability of the owner. From the description, the clutch was toast when it arrived at the dealer.

Most likely it was toasted before dealer seen it.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
car required a tow, so clutch was definitely bad before arriving at the dealership. I just don't think it was appropriate for the dealership technician to put the car into gear, and start the engine when there was potential for declining the warranty.

I wondered about that myself. If the clutch material fractured, and was binding, then would starting the car generate smoke or just smell? Maybe the technician meant smell ?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
this is curious, considering past postings :

2. When I slowly let off the clutch while holding the accelerator at 5000 RPM ...
"Can't imagine why my clutch would fail for no reason. I paid a lot of money for this car ! :hitcomputer:

Maybe OP should have got the Automatic transmission ? :shrug:

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
LOOK dealer didn't do anything wrong the owner did he tried to pull fast one and failed end of story.
Sponsored