OP

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
It's not as common of a problem as the engine ticks and rattles. The fix kit contains a similar (same) aluminum fork, which leads us to believe the issue was a bad batch (or batches) of forks due to casting. If mine dies, that is an easy thing to push under warranty. There is no TSB or fix for the engine yet. Much more concerning, imo.

Can you expound on this "ticks and rattles" engine issue. I'm going back for a test ride would like to know what to listen for. Also how prevalent is this issue with the 2018 and is there any idea if that is the "norm".
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Lol, it’s been said ford claimed a bad casting batch is to blame for the shift forks.. this isn’t the first time an aluminum shift fork has been in a transmission, and please don’t act like Mazda’s set the standard in vehicle reliability. Our 2016 Mazda 6 DD is going in for the third time for warped rotors. It’s not like it’s driven hard, back and forth from home to work on side streets no highways for 4 miles a day, 5 days a week. It’s great having a car that needs rotors every 5k miles. But it’s a lease and under warranty. We get a loaner so I’m not on forums bitching about it. Doesn’t matter the car, go on a specific forum for a specific car and you’ll see issues. They have sold over 70k mustangs in this MY, you see less then 1% having issues

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Can you expound on this "ticks and rattles" engine issue. I'm going back for a test ride would like to know what to listen for. Also how prevalent is this issue with the 2018 and is there any idea if that is the "norm".
It’s a strange rattle noise from the engine under partial load from 2000-3000rpm. There is a whole thread full of videos in this section of the forum.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Well mista Fontaine, my 18 6MT has been trouble free so far. Built in January and just ticked over 5k miles. I DD it and haven't hurt its delicate feelings yet.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have a late build 2018 and I have the low 2k RPM rattle. I don't think that is a big deal and hopefully people are over exaggerating.

Regarding the shift forks, I have had 4 or 5 grinds when shifting to third. Not including severe notchiness while shifting as well. All done under low load, no lockout, not forcing it into gear either. I will wait until the problem happens daily until I bring it in because it will be a waste of everyone's time until then.

I had a 2011 GT with the same transmission. It was even worse at that time. Brand new engine and transmission in a brand new refreshed Mustang model year. I went through hell trying to get dealers to fix (basically) the same issue I am having now with the transmission. All said and done, I paid nothing, my car was in the shop for less than a day, and my problem was fixed after some minor frustration.

You can't go into buying a new car with the expectation that nothing will break. If you do, you will never be happy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I have a late build 2018 and I have the low 2k RPM rattle. I don't think that is a big deal and hopefully people are over exaggerating.

Regarding the shift forks, I have had 4 or 5 grinds when shifting to third. Not including severe notchiness while shifting as well. All done under low load, no lockout, not forcing it into gear either. I will wait until the problem happens daily until I bring it in because it will be a waste of everyone's time until then.

I had a 2011 GT with the same transmission. It was even worse at that time. Brand new engine and transmission in a brand new refreshed Mustang model year. I went through hell trying to get dealers to fix (basically) the same issue I am having now with the transmission. All said and done, I paid nothing, my car was in the shop for less than a day, and my problem was fixed after some minor frustration.

You can't go into buying a new car with the expectation that nothing will break. If you do, you will never be happy.

I'm not expecting perfection. Not having to have the transmission serviced or rebuilt in the first few years is just what's expected. Glad to hear other having no issues as well. I'm still shopping.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I don't believe the pistons are loose, nor do I believe it is piston slap. I have been data logging quite a bit, and never have knock beyond a normal single count changing between maps. However, I am not speculating when I say the sound isn't normal. My gasoline system development colleagues literally stated it sounds like sh1t, and they believe most of the rattle is coming from the HP pump.
If the HP fuel pump was the source, placing a stethoscope on the pump should be able to verify that pretty easily.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If the HP fuel pump was the source, placing a stethoscope on the pump should be able to verify that pretty easily.
I don't think this may be so simple. I can't find an engine layout diagram, but I believe this HP pump is driven off the cam and resides under the valve cover.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I don't think this may be so simple. I can't find an engine layout diagram, but I believe this HP pump is driven off the cam and resides under the valve cover.
It’s on the passenger side, and it is cam driven. It’s hard to miss it.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I'm not expecting perfection. Not having to have the transmission serviced or rebuilt in the first few years is just what's expected. Glad to hear other having no issues as well. I'm still shopping.
Every car company sells enough volume that if even a tiny percent have issues (and a *lot* of Mustangs are sold) there are enough complaints to fill a forum. You have enough cars and experience to know this. Get what you want, but do not pretend that Mustang transmissions have a special weakness.

And Mustang owners mod their cars so anything goes and you can't take somebody's word for how they babied their new Mustang and it just broke, unless you are trying to be dishonest in this conversation.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
After much consideration of what was/is happening with the MT-82 ( and a few other issues) in the 2018 GT I went to the other side and got a new C7 Corvette. The way it is optioned (2LT.Mag ride etc) was not that much more money than a loaded up GT. I never got to spend enough time in either car before I wrote a check so I really cannot compare the two but this version of the Corvette is just an incredible sports car. Every thing that has been said about it is true. There are very good deals on 2018's/new 2017's leftover and new 2019's with discounts. If you really shop hard you can find a very nice Z51 or 2LT package with some goodies for 52k. New. Just saying.

I think Mustang GT is an awesome car and I hope no one else gets the gear box failure.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
After much consideration of what was/is happening with the MT-82 ( and a few other issues) in the 2018 GT I went to the other side and got a new C7 Corvette. The way it is optioned (2LT.Mag ride etc) was not that much more money than a loaded up GT. I never got to spend enough time in either car before I wrote a check so I really cannot compare the two but this version of the Corvette is just an incredible sports car. Every thing that has been said about it is true. There are very good deals on 2018's/new 2017's leftover and new 2019's with discounts. If you really shop hard you can find a very nice Z51 or 2LT package with some goodies for 52k. New. Just saying.

I think Mustang GT is an awesome car and I hope no one else gets the gear box failure.
You paid over $10k more than I did, so not even in the same range. Congrats on the purchase, but a Vette is something you would cross shop when looking at a GT350 price-wise. Also, I don’t know why you would fear the gear box. The issue is known and has a fix. I would be more worried about the engine in a GT.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase

So, if you don't have a mustang, and didn't buy one, why are you in this forum?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
So, if you don't have a mustang, and didn't buy one, why are you in this forum?

Who says you have to own a Mustang to be on this forum? I am on several forums from BMW, Porsche and this one. Doesnt mean you cant be interested in them.
Sponsored