Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I got my safety inspection the other day and low and behold they tagged me for needing new front brake pads and getting the front rotors "turned". I am at only 23000 miles but thought that I could had some excessive wear while I had the car in Germany.

I approve the work and it takes the guy to order the brake pads for around $50.

Anyways, he calls me and tells me that he can not "turn" the rotors and he would need to take them to another shop.

At the end of the day he calls me and tells me that he nobody can turn them; not even the local Ford Dealer. This very dealer has a Shelby sitting on the showroom floor.

Anyways, the machanic just gives up on the brake job and puts my rotors back on without changing the pads or doing any other work.

He didnt want to put the new pads on without turning the rotors, so he didnt charge me for the brakes at all.

So what do you all think...

Was he just trying to up sell the brake job and dropped it became too much trouble?

Is $50 about right for the pads or did he get Mustang brake pads?

Can the Shelby rotors be turned at all?

Woukd you reccommend putting new pads on these rotors without turning the rotors?
Sponsored

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
The Ford manual specifically says the GT350 rotors can not be turned. I'm on my second set. The first set developed a bad shudder, Replaced under warranty

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I had 2 sets turned when I changed pad compounds. It can be done, but takes a special machine. I've had good luck with local Napa stores. Might take a few.

I just want to know where he's getting $50 brake pads. Sounds like a poor upsell to me.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
They could be turned, but not by a normal brake machine since the discs float on pins.
Your options are to find someone with a lathe with a very large chuck that can clamp on the OD of the disc. Special care needs to be taken to hold the hub and both brake surfaces parallel within .0002".
I have a machine that I built for motorcycle discs that can grind the faces, since those discs are hardened stainless steel. I plan to try it on my GT350 rotors soon and refresh the surfaces when I change out my pads.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've had 3 sets of front pads on the front rotors. Do yours have some sort of issue? The new pads seemed to bed in nicely to the worn rotor.

Front pads are $214 from Autonation White near lake.

Sponsored

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Dont need to turn rotor unless its warped. Just switch to new pads and go through nice bed in process. You’ll be just fine.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Well at least they did no harm, but just another ignorant dealer service shop

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I never recommend turning rotors, you are excessively shortening the life of the rotors by doing so. If the rotors are in good condition(not warped or have excessive gouges/cracks) then they can simply be reused. Hitting the surface with a light grinding like above is ok to remove surface glaze but even that is unnecessary. If the rotors are warped or otherwise have issue then replace them.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
SSM 45903 - 2015-2017 Shelby GT350 And GT350R Brake Service
2015-2017 Shelby GT350 and GT350R vehicles should not have the brake rotors machined when servicing the brake system. Replacement of brake rotors is the only acceptable service of brake rotors on GT350 and GT350R vehicles. GT350 and GT350Rvehicles are equipped with a brake system designed for high speed and superior fade resistance. Occasional brake squeal and elevated levels of brake dust may occur. This is normal and does not affect brake system performance. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 206-00 and the Mustang Owner's Manual and the Shelby GT350 Owner's Manual Supplement for further information.

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
No need to replace it if they are still good. Of course ford wants you to replace it so that can sell more parts just like all the bolts and nuts on the car.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No need to replace it if they are still good. Of course ford wants you to replace it so that can sell more parts just like all the bolts and nuts on the car.
^^What he said^^

SSM 45903 - 2015-2017 Shelby GT350 And GT350R Brake Service
2015-2017 Shelby GT350 and GT350R vehicles should not have the brake rotors machined when servicing the brake system. Replacement of brake rotors is the only acceptable service of brake rotors on GT350 and GT350R vehicles. GT350 and GT350Rvehicles are equipped with a brake system designed for high speed and superior fade resistance.
This statement is here for the worst case (track scenario). There's a min thickness for a reason. No harm in turning/resurfacing above that without any loss in performance or increase in risk.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Do NOT turn rotors. Worst decision I ever made with brakes on my last car...besides not knowing how to bed properly when I was young and dumb lol.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Glad you made it home safely.

1. Install a set of Caliperfexion brake studs.

2. Go to the Auto craft shop and install those and the brake pads yourself. No such thing as $50 pads for a GT350. Looking at about $200.

3. If your rotors are beyond min thickness or badly scored, buy new ones. If they are just glazed, resurface per Nizz55's post.

4. Stud install and pads takes an hour max. Afterwards, pads will take 10 minutes. Add an additonal 30 minutes to resurface or 10 minutes to install the new rotors.

Even if you have no experience, it's a simple job that the folks at the shop will be able to help with and you will appreciate knowing it's done right.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you made it home safely.

1. Install a set of Caliperfexion brake studs.

2. Go to the Auto craft shop and install those and the brake pads yourself. No such thing as $50 pads for a GT350. Looking at about $200.

3. If your rotors are beyond min thickness or badly scored, buy new ones. If they are just glazed, resurface per Nizz55's post.

4. Stud install and pads takes an hour max. Afterwards, pads will take 10 minutes. Add an additonal 30 minutes to resurface or 10 minutes to install the new rotors.

Even if you have no experience, it's a simple job that the folks at the shop will be able to help with and you will appreciate knowing it's done right.
It was the auto shop guy that did the inspection. He was the one who was trying to get me to turn the rotors. When he couldnt, he tried getting other shops including the local Ford Dealership to do it.

There isnt much in this shop as far as help or space. He is the only person there but trying to hire someome else. No hours after 5pm and no weekend hours. He said selfhelp is Space A and unlikely when he gets a second employee and can schedule more service.

There are a couple other posts around I can xheck into selfhelp, but if they dont do after work hours then I just cant do it.
Sponsored