Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I first noticed the "BBQ tick" or "typewriter" tick at around 2000 miles on my 2018 GT. I currently have 3200 miles and have not changed the oil as of yet so still running the factory fill. Couple of thoughts on this...I sold a heavily modded 1990 turbo Miata, I had built and loved over many years, to purchase the Mustang and a common issue with these early Miata's was lifter "tick". This "tick" was actually caused by HLA's (hydraulic lash adjusters) bleeding down and being very finicky with oil in general. Especially after an oil change using Mobile 1, 10w-40wt. I had looked into changing out all 16 HLA's but found a much cheaper fix. A friend of mine who had a lot of experience with Miata's said to try some Rislone oil treatment in the yellow bottle. This stuff worked a miracle on the HLA's...I just added 1/2qt at every oil change and the lifter tick totally disappeared. The "tick I hear in my GT sounds a lot like a lifter tick or a loose timing chain tick, which by the way probably uses oil pressure to keep the proper tension on the chain. Also, I have noticed that I don't hear the tick unless the car has been totally warmed up and then shut off to sit for say an 30 mins to an hour, allowing the oil to fully heat soak. Once restarted you hear it but it gradually fades away. Has anyone tried using 5w-30wt instead of the 5w-20wt? Just wandering if the 5w-20 is just a litle too thin, especially when heat soaked, to keep the valve train, and or timing chain tensioner's, quiet under a hot restart. I will be adding a bottle of the Rislone oil treatment with my 1st oil change but would like to hear any thoughts on running the 5w-30wt full time first.
Sponsored

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
My dealership first said it was my rear axle thrust washers, which they replaced, now they're claiming it's my after-market exhaust, sigh. That's what their "chassis ears" are telling them. Next step is put back on a stock exhaust and let them have at it again.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My dealership first said it was my rear axle thrust washers, which they replaced, now they're claiming it's my after-market exhaust, sigh. That's what their "chassis ears" are telling them. Next step is put back on a stock exhaust and let them have at it again.
How could it be rear axle thrust washers if it ticks, sitting still?

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious...What oil weight has Ford specified for the 5.0 Coyote since 2011? Has it always been 5w-20wt for all years?

Sponsored

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
Mine generally doesn't tick when idle, only when under load at ~2K RPM
In my case, if I started the car in my garage, then listened closely during the first few minutes it was running, I would hear the tick but very intermittently. If I had someone slowly edge the RPM's up the tick would increase, but still be intermittent. It didn't become more consistent until light load (driving slowly).

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
In my case, if I started the car in my garage, then listened closely during the first few minutes it was running, I would hear the tick but very intermittently. If I had someone slowly edge the RPM's up the tick would increase, but still be intermittent. It didn't become more consistent until light load (driving slowly).
My 2018 GT with 13000 miles is the same as you describe it. Once the car has been driven for a few miles and the oil temp is at operating temp, I hear no ticking at idle but the moment I rev it up above 1200 rpm I hear slight ticking. I wouldnt be able to and do not hear it while driving as it is very light and not loud enough to be heard while driving.

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
OK guys, Ceratec in for 1 week now. Today i was back at work after a week of vacation and the tick is still 100% gone, normally I hear the BBQ very clearly and loud when I leave the parking garage at work, but today nothing. Just a nice V8 burble like it should be.

As I wrote before, I was at my dealer twice and they send me away twice, claiming the exhaust manifold to extract and retract, which causes the BBQ tick and we all know that this is just BS. I wasted enough time scheduling appointments at the dealer and researching online. For me it's the tin foil head theory that Ford put a different oil or an additive in the Mustangs until early 2017, which helped prevent the BBQ tick (most people with the BBQ tick had it after an oil change), after early 2017 the additive (Motorcraft XL-17) was discontinued and the Mustangs started to have the BBQ tick/tap from factory (that's how it was for me). For your info, you can't get the Motorcraft XL-17 anywhere.
So the solution for me is at the moment the Liqui Moly Ceratec, it works so far and the reviews online are not bad. It's for you guys to decide now, do you want to bring your car to the dealership and let them say it is normal, replace your engine or just put the oil additive in, I think it is up to you. I will enjoy my non BBQ Mustang GT from now on and I won't think about it anymore.

PS: There are 2 different ticks in the 2018 and up Mustang GTs, one is the BBQ tick, which is a clearly audible intermittent metal tapping noise and the other ticking comes from the new Direct injection of the revised Coyote engine in the 2018 and up models. The Direct Injection noise is not fixable as far as I know and claimed as normal, due to high pressure injection of the fuel.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
OK guys, Ceratec in for 1 week now. Today i was back at work after a week of vacation and the tick is still 100% gone, normally I hear the BBQ very clearly and loud when I leave the parking garage at work, but today nothing. Just a nice V8 burble like it should be.

As I wrote before, I was at my dealer twice and they send me away twice, claiming the exhaust manifold to extract and retract, which causes the BBQ tick and we all know that this is just BS. I wasted enough time scheduling appointments at the dealer and researching online. For me it's the tin foil head theory that Ford put a different oil or an additive in the Mustangs until early 2017, which helped prevent the BBQ tick (most people with the BBQ tick had it after an oil change), after early 2017 the additive (Motorcraft XL-17) was discontinued and the Mustangs started to have the BBQ tick/tap from factory (that's how it was for me). For your info, you can't get the Motorcraft XL-17 anywhere.
So the solution for me is at the moment the Liqui Moly Ceratec, it works so far and the reviews online are not bad. It's for you guys to decide now, do you want to bring your car to the dealership and let them say it is normal, replace your engine or just put the oil additive in, I think it is up to you. I will enjoy my non BBQ Mustang GT from now on and I won't think about it anymore.

PS: There are 2 different ticks in the 2018 and up Mustang GTs, one is the BBQ tick, which is a clearly audible intermittent metal tapping noise and the other ticking comes from the new Direct injection of the revised Coyote engine in the 2018 and up models. The Direct Injection noise is not fixable as far as I know and claimed as normal, due to high pressure injection of the fuel.
Glad Ceratec solved your issue.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
OK guys, Ceratec in for 1 week now. Today i was back at work after a week of vacation and the tick is still 100% gone, normally I hear the BBQ very clearly and loud when I leave the parking garage at work, but today nothing.....
Just be aware you’ll need to tip this stuff in regularly (every oil change). The XL-17 guys had to as well.

Still, more convenient than an engine change....

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Just be aware you’ll need to tip this stuff in regularly (every oil change). The XL-17 guys had to as well.

So if XL-17 is discontinued what is the replacement?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the Ceratec moly additive works. Can get it on Amazon.
My father was a plant manager for Exxon Mobil. He swore molybdenum worked.

Last edited:

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury

If you get an engine change from Ford I would bet that you get the tick again.

So if XL-17 is discontinued what is the replacement?
As I said earlier, I think there is no replacement. Couldn't find anything from Ford, I think that is the reason why many 2018 Mustangs have the BBQ tick from factory.

Sounds like the Ceratec moly additive works. Can get it on Amazon.
I would give it a shot. So far everything looks good on my car. Oiltemp and oilpressure normal.

My father was a plant manager for Exxon Mobil. He swore molybdenum worked.
There are actually moly oils out there, maybe something like that would already be enough to eliminate the BBQ tick.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Can someone post a pic of this ceratec stuff to see if I have the right one? Also I read it's good for 30,000 miles. Meaning change your oil regularly but only add this every 30k. Not sure if that is true.
Sponsored