Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In case anyone on this thread wants to shim down their transmission crossmember- the stock bolt is an M12 1.75mm pitch with about 1.5" of threads. I was just under my car monkeying with this, and with .25" of shims, it is cutting it very tight (i.e. the stock bolt doesn't have many turns on it.) I'm going to swap the stock bolts with something longer this week.
I'd be interested to know the info on the bolts you source if you can post that info for us.

Just an FYI too:
Kelly @BMR has come up with a longer bolt + shim kit for the trans mount adjustment. I think his info about this is in the suspension tech sub-forum.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It can take a year to implement a solution if you know what the problem is...

There has to be separate studies done on all the components to narrow down what is at highest risk. Once found, if it is a internally controlled part; you have to design, and validate a solution, which means running another vehicle or set of vheicles through durability. Oh there also has a business case.

They could be piggy backing the fix to 2018 validation to keep cost lower, or due to resource availability.

Last I heard the route cause was center support bearings.
Can you post up your source for your last statement regarding center support bearing being the issue?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I had plenty of thread left after adding 1/4 shims, maybe the automatic x member is different!

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
So far it seemed to have eliminated the "clunk" when coming to a stop. I never had the gear engagement noises or metallic noises like others have posted. I had what was slop in the driveline when coming to a stop - hard to describe, but like as if the driveline was still in motion from slowing down, then "clunk" at a total stop. Sometimes it did it, other times not.

The driveline vibe at speeds while driving it not there anymore after total diff replacement.
I also get that clunk and it's bad. Now I am also getting it shifting from gear to gear until I am in 4th gear. 5th and 6th no clunk. It's embarrassing to have a new car that sounds like the bottom is falling out with 8000 miles on it. Mine goes in on Thursday and I have a feeling it's going to be lime talking to a 16 year old kid about it as the Ford dealers here in Orlando seem clueless about Mustangs. Going to a different dealer this time but not expecting much difference

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also get that clunk and it's bad. Now I am also getting it shifting from gear to gear until I am in 4th gear. 5th and 6th no clunk. It's embarrassing to have a new car that sounds like the bottom is falling out with 8000 miles on it. Mine goes in on Thursday and I have a feeling it's going to be lime talking to a 16 year old kid about it as the Ford dealers here in Orlando seem clueless about Mustangs. Going to a different dealer this time but not expecting much difference
Reference my posts here where I included images of my Service Center invoices - and tell your Service Manager to contact the Ford Engineering team, they are well aware of this "warranty" problem.

One more thing:
The MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR OF YOUR CONCERN is to tell your Service Writer you WANT to take a Tech OR Shop Foreman on a test drive. YOU drive the car some distance first and point out your concerns exactly when they occur. Do NOT take some Dealer 5-minute scripted trip around the dealership block or into local neighborhoods!! Take the test drive out to the HIGHWAY or major roads where you can get it up to speed and stop/start to demonstrate the issues. You cannot demonstrate such problems with the common Dealership scripted pre-mapped routes. Then let the Tech drive the vehicle back - when you are in the passenger seat, STILL CONTINUE to point out when the vehicle is acting up.

I can't stress it enough to take a Tech OR the Shop Foreman on a LENGTHY test drive to point out the concerns.

My one test drive alone was nearly 30 mins so that I could really demo how the car was driving/reacting at certain speeds on different road surfaces and the intrusiveness of the driveline vibe.

If you do not get the satisfaction from your Dealer then you must open up a claim with a Ford Customer Service Regional Rep in your area so you can get the concern elevated - at which point your Ford Service Center MUST work with that CSR and get the Ford Engineering Team involved. If you still can't get satisfaction, hit Fords Social Media, give totally negative reviews to ANY Ford Customer Satisfaction Survey that you receive in email AND contact the BBB.

Don't give up!

Sponsored

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the great advice Cobra Jet. I will print off your info tomorrow and take it with me for reference. I was already telling myself that I needed to take the tech out for a test ride as I notice it's at its worst between 60 to 65 MPH.
I absolutely will not be taking that they can't see anything wrong as for an answer.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I just got done trying some more shim (went from .25 to about .385) which did not make any difference for my vibe with they dynotech 1-pc DS. The M12 1.75 pitch 60mm bolts from lowes worked just fine, but would probably be too long for less than .25" of shims.)

The last time I tried the hose clamp trick, I could not get that last little bit of vibration better. Today I tried taping (yes, tape - the high strength ductwork foil tape) two small washers at various spots corresponding to the 4 available bolt holes. Once I found the best combination, I bolted the washers into their proper holes. On stands, there's still just a tiny hint of noise at 60mph, but on the street it feels smooth now.

What's really amazing is just how sensitive the driveline is to even the smallest amount of imbalance. You wouldn't think a tiny washer less than a gram would make any dang difference, but it makes all the difference in the world. BTW, I filmed the underside of the car with a GoPro running through the gears on jack stands, and you can't see or hear the vibration. Crazy how much gets transmitted to the body of the car.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
BTW, I filmed the underside of the car with a GoPro running through the gears on jack stands, and you can't see or hear the vibration. Crazy how much gets transmitted to the body of the car.
I'd love to see that video!

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Does anyone know what the yellow corner on the 6r80 yoke lines up with. The yellow dot on my driveshaft will have to be on right or left of yellow dot.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I'd love to see that video!
Same here, as "widespread" as this issue is , I have not seen any video evidence of the vibration . It would be interesting to see at what magnitude various people are seeing .

Sponsored

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
There's really nothing to see. You can't hear any vibration over the exhaust, and you can't see anything vibrating. What you *do* see is just how softly hung the differential is - that thing bounces around quite a bit just easily going through the gears. If I get a few minutes I'll setup a youtube acct to post it.

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Proof

If you want to see some proof of the sound level from the imbalance, have a look at my posts. 1767 http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1426610&postcount=1767

As well as post 1773 http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1431200&postcount=1773

There are screen shots there from my iPad that tell the tale quite clearly.

This shows the volume and the frequency of the sound in my car, before and after the balance. Measurements were taken on the same road at the same speed. (68Mph)

It was only a $4 or $5 app as I recall, but it recorded the evidence quite nicely.

Blake

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
As a owner owners of one of these defective vibrating mustangs I commend the enduring efforts put forth by everyone who is trying to fix this major problem. However, we should not have to be doing this and it's time for Ford to step in and fix their screw up for everyone with a real solution. It's obvious to me its not the driveshaft in balance, defective differentials or tires. I am tired of the excuses and stall tactics put forth by the Ford representatives. I think its time for us to escalate our efforts by starting to address our problem directly to the administrative and management staff who in my opinion are very aware that the problem is real and have a one hundred percent fix available. I suggest we start this movement by contacting Mr. Michael Berardi, Director of Service Engineering Operation Ford Customer Service Division, and then move up the management ladder. Is anyone with me?

NSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 7 Series
I read about the upcoming Bullitt 50th Anniversary car and thought I'd swing by to see if this vibration issue had been solved - very disappointed to see that it hasn't. At first I thought "Ford better get this squared away if they expect that new Bullitt to sell" ...but that isn't true. Bullitt cars will fly off the lots, no matter how much they shake, rattle and roll......

I was a "Ford Guy" for a long time. Learned to drive in dad's '68 390 Galaxie.

Reading this thread infuriates me ... and I don't even own one of these cars.

What a disaster.........

Last edited:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
This entire thread is an exposure into how big companies like Ford cuts corners at the expense of the satisfaction of its customers in order to satisfy their lust for profit. I suppose folks will always buy Mustangs regardless, just as large corporations will always be chasing the mighty $$ at our expense!
Sponsored