Sponsored

Decrease tramlining! Steeda G Brace works!

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Mine (non-R) tends to like to dart to the left under uneven road conditions. It's not that bad though.

It's no where near as bad as say my kart. The wide front tires coupled with a large distance from the kingpin to the wheel center add to the effect. Now obviously you can't compare the two but it may help with the understanding of what's happening.

I would imagine that the tramming effect is due to many different factors at play whether it's tire width, sub frame stiffness, or wheel/suspension geometry.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I don't see anyone crying, but ok... looks like alignment doesn't make much difference either, as evidenced above.
Obviously people aren't actually crying - but talking about how much it's improved by a piece of metal that enforces the suspension in some way that Ford completely missed on their top-tier track car makes the car sound undriveable - and that's way overkill.

The alignment didn't fix it because it's the tires, IMO.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Obviously people aren't actually crying - but talking about how much it's improved by a piece of metal that enforces the suspension in some way that Ford completely missed on their top-tier track car makes the car sound undriveable - and that's way overkill.

The alignment didn't fix it because it's the tires, IMO.
Have you driven an R with the brace yet?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Have you driven an R with the brace yet?
There's really no way to disagree here with out insulting someone so I'll just say that I personally believe it's a placebo effect. As stated - tramlining has always been a "feature" of wide tires and possibly amplified by strange alignments/unconventional/or poorly designed suspensions. Ford leaving enough "flex" (or whatever the claim of deficiency is here) in the car to make a difference is hard to comprehend.

I'm beating a dead horse, I know. I'll wait to hear from Joe and maybe I'll eat my words. He doesn't pull any punches.

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
I own a standard gt350 and didnt really notice any tramlining with the stock wheels and tires on my uneven country roads.

I switched to my forgelines which are 10lbs lighter per wheel and Sport cup 2's 305/30/19 all the way around and its a damn handful to drive on my back roads. Once i get out to the interstate which is about a 15-20 minute drive its not really bad at all, but the 15 minutes leading up to it honestly isn't an enjoyable drive at all, its a white knuckle experience for sure.

With that said i ordered a Steeda G brace and will be putting it on in the next week or so. Also on top of that im going to put the stock MPSS tires back on for normal street driving and use them on my forgeline wheels and see if that helps. Like i said, i didn't really notice it with the heavier wheels and those tires.

Can lighter wheels be part of the cause at all or is it mostly suspension geometry and tire size/choice?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I own a standard gt350 and didnt really notice any tramlining with the stock wheels and tires on my uneven country roads.

I switched to my forgelines which are 10lbs lighter per wheel and Sport cup 2's 305/30/19 all the way around and its a damn handful to drive on my back roads. Once i get out to the interstate which is about a 15-20 minute drive its not really bad at all, but the 15 minutes leading up to it honestly isn't an enjoyable drive at all, its a white knuckle experience for sure.

With that said i ordered a Steeda G brace and will be putting it on in the next week or so. Also on top of that im going to put the stock MPSS tires back on for normal street driving and use them on my forgeline wheels and see if that helps. Like i said, i didn't really notice it with the heavier wheels and those tires.

Can lighter wheels be part of the cause at all or is it mostly suspension geometry and tire size/choice?

You bring up a good point. The roads around here are pretty good. Not Germany good but I'd say an 8.5/10 in general. So when I say it's not that bad, I only have my local roads to compare.

IME, It's always been the tires. Width plays a role but so does tire compound and sidewall/tread design. Changing just one of those things can +/- the experience. I'd bet if you ran the MPSS on your Forgeline wheels, it would be back to what you originally experienced (less tramlining).

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Definitely need to look into this for my GT350.

[MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] let's talk brotha!

Sponsored
OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's really no way to disagree here with out insulting someone so I'll just say that I personally believe it's a placebo effect. As stated - tramlining has always been a "feature" of wide tires and possibly amplified by strange alignments/unconventional/or poorly designed suspensions. Ford leaving enough "flex" (or whatever the claim of deficiency is here) in the car to make a difference is hard to comprehend.

I'm beating a dead horse, I know. I'll wait to hear from Joe and maybe I'll eat my words. He doesn't pull any punches.
Lol, if you have to insult someone just to say , "No, I haven't driven an R with a brace installed," then you got some drama there man.

Lighten up... enjoy the good debate. No need to make it personal. :cheers:

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I have the G brace on my R and it still tramlines on some back country roads... On smooth roads and highways it's as smooth as glass. Switching lanes on highways will also i duce tramlining, but it's a side effect of the wide and sticky tires.

If it's a huge issue, then I'd recommend different wheels / tires.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Lol, if you have to insult someone just to say , "No, I haven't driven an R with a brace installed," then you got some drama there man.

Lighten up... enjoy the good debate. No need to make it personal. :cheers:
Umm, I didn't make it personal. You seemed a little overly sensitive so I was treading lightly. That could just be the internet, though.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I'm by no means sensitive, Lol... my keyboard neither adds to or takes away from my testosterone level.

I have, though, driven an R with and without, a g brace. I never said the g brace took away my R's tramlining but it did improve it. I called BS just as you when I first heard the brace reduced it, and felt what could it hurt to find out... I'm glad I did as it made my interstate driving experience much better.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I have the G brace on my R and it still tramlines on some back country roads... On smooth roads and highways it's as smooth as glass. Switching lanes on highways will also i duce tramlining, but it's a side effect of the wide and sticky tires.

If it's a huge issue, then I'd recommend different wheels / tires.
...and that's how mine is without the brace.
Sponsored