Sponsored

Steeda two point g trac brace...worth getting?

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I just ordered it. Paid for second day. Be interesting to see how fast Steeda ships it after they get the order.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Powelltc1

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just ordered it. Paid for second day. Be interesting to see how fast Steeda ships it after they get the order.
I ordered mine a week ago. Would love to hear a follow up after you get it installed and see if you thought it made any difference.

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the worst written articles I have seen. They confuse vehicle wheelbase with track and make a number of confusing/misleading statements. Having said that, the advice is mostly good.

One thing though - my 19 has never suffered from excessive tramlining - although I'm using the tire spec from the 18's this summer as I have saved the original more aggressive tires for the track. My 03 Crown Vic Sport with Marauder wheels was much worse. And this is driving around Chicago's freeways. 3,000 miles so far. Since tramlining has been mentioned many times as an issue on the GT350 I'm guessing that it was fixed by the 19+ suspension improvements.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
This is one of the worst written articles I have seen. They confuse vehicle wheelbase with track and make a number of confusing/misleading statements. Having said that, the advice is mostly good.

One thing though - my 19 has never suffered from excessive tramlining - although I'm using the tire spec from the 18's this summer as I have saved the original more aggressive tires for the track. My 03 Crown Vic Sport with Marauder wheels was much worse. And this is driving around Chicago's freeways. 3,000 miles so far. Since tramlining has been mentioned many times as an issue on the GT350 I'm guessing that it was fixed by the 19+ suspension improvements.
Iā€™m not really having many problems with my ā€˜19 OE tires either. When I wear these out I may go right back to the ā€˜19-ā€˜20 spec, I love these tires. Donā€™t misunderstand me, they do tramline sometimes but Iā€™m ready for it. I did work into my budget annual replacements.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So, I got the two-point track brace for my 2016 years ago to see if it would reduce tramlining. It made the car feel stiffer for sure - less motion in the chassis over uneven pavement, but that was about it. Tramlining was still a problem.

Over the intervening years, I've run lots of different tires and the GT350R-spec MPSC2's always made driving interesting - the occasional unplanned lane change, and so on. New tires were worse than used ones too. Most of the rest - Conti's, Pirelli and so on - no tramlining to speak of, even the double digit treadwear versions.

Most people focus on the front end when they think about tramlining, but the S550 is capable of doing it at both ends. I had a bad session of tramlining at the rear of the car last fall driving home from a track 240 miles away, so this spring, I did some work back there - BMR rear camber links and toe links - so I could set the rear suspension to exactly the GT350R rear track alignment from the 2020 Owner's Supplement - 0.3 degrees total toe in, zero thrust angle and -1.60 degrees camber. Front setup was already at -2.2 camber and zero toe.

Now my car - even on new MPSC2's - doesn't tramline any more. It was a complete surprise when I headed out to my first track day with those tires. Very tame, easy to drive, an occasional push sideways on an uneven stretch of highway, but nothing like what it used to be. Now, what I don't know is if that's because of the BMR parts stiffening up the rear end or if it's because of the precision alignment I have now. Either way, calibrating the back end made a big difference to the way the car drives.

So, two things from this - first, tramlining happens at both ends and second, alignment matters.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

I stumbled upon the article and posted it. Take it for what it's worth. :wink: It may have been co authored by Al Gore for all I know.:cwl:
Sponsored