Sponsored

Steeda clutch spring

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
First drive with Steeda spring... I was expecting a bigger difference. It feels a bit "stiffer" and linear. All in all for the price it's a good upgrade.
That was my reaction as well. That's why I put the stock spring back in. I prefer the lighter feel. It's been a long time since I test drove a GT but I remember the nonlinearity being more pronounced. I suspect the Steeda spring would make more of a difference in that car.
Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
First drive with Steeda spring... I was expecting a bigger difference. It feels a bit "stiffer" and linear. All in all for the price it's a good upgrade.
Again felt the same way,,, that's why I just took it all out.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Just reinstalled my Steeda clutch spring after complaining to a friend about how stiff it felt after driving another GT350 with the stock spring. Turns out mine was installed correctly about a month ago, lol. I actually took it to a shop a month ago after having problems with the removal of the stock clutch spring, and they just followed the instructions on the site. One thing it didn't mention (and there's plenty of topics here of course) was the removal of the plastic part + extra spring that's installed only on the GT350s. [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] would you guys be able to add a note in the PDF for this?

I know it's clear as day on the forums here, but I almost wonder if there are any non-forum members that did this too based on the instructions. I was getting ready to ditch the spring last night until my friend told me about this. It's so much better now that it's actually installed correctly.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Just reinstalled my Steeda clutch spring after complaining to a friend about how stiff it felt after driving another GT350 with the stock spring. Turns out mine was installed correctly about a month ago, lol. I actually took it to a shop a month ago after having problems with the removal of the stock clutch spring, and they just followed the instructions on the site. One thing it didn't mention (and there's plenty of topics here of course) was the removal of the plastic part + extra spring that's installed only on the GT350s. [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] would you guys be able to add a note in the PDF for this?

I know it's clear as day on the forums here, but I almost wonder if there are any non-forum members that did this too based on the instructions. I was getting ready to ditch the spring last night until my friend told me about this. It's so much better now that it's actually installed correctly.
I will definitely pass along this feedback ... thank you for the heads-up!

Glad you didn't ditch the spring & you are now reinvigorated!

Best Regards,

TJ

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
It does come with instructions. After a trip to the store to pick up some needle nose vise grips, ended up not using them, compressed the assembly by pushing on the lower perch till it unseated the pin, then reinstalled it by seating the upper perch and pushing on the lower perch to compress it enough to seat the pin.

I like the feel of it, especially shifting fast no longer get the delay clutch engagement that remained me of a clutch delay valve on my AP2 s2000. Happy so far.

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
That was my reaction as well. That's why I put the stock spring back in. I prefer the lighter feel. It's been a long time since I test drove a GT but I remember the nonlinearity being more pronounced. I suspect the Steeda spring would make more of a difference in that car.
Apparently not alone but very much in the minority. Installed the Steeda spring and really didn't care for it over stock. Marginally higher pedal effort but for me if anything the engagement feel was more vague and non linear so back in went the stock assembly and I am much happier. Will run it this way for a while then maybe try it again and see how I feel about it. As for removal of the spring assembly, what worked best for me was to pull down on the top spring seat and then it easily pulls away. Exact reverse to re-install, no tools needed. Initially tried the needle nose pliers, both regular and vise grip and could not see how that could possibly work as in my case nothing was compressed enough to make any difference in removal.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Apparently not alone but very much in the minority. Installed the Steeda spring and really didn't care for it over stock. Marginally higher pedal effort but for me if anything the engagement feel was more vague and non linear so back in went the stock assembly and I am much happier. Will run it this way for a while then maybe try it again and see how I feel about it. As for removal of the spring assembly, what worked best for me was to pull down on the top spring seat and then it easily pulls away. Exact reverse to re-install, no tools needed. Initially tried the needle nose pliers, both regular and vise grip and could not see how that could possibly work as in my case nothing was compressed enough to make any difference in removal.
Have you tried it with no spring?
I pulled the spring a year and a half ago and the clutch is perfect IMHO.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Have you tried it with no spring?
I pulled the spring a year and a half ago and the clutch is perfect IMHO.
No, but that is ultimately bad for the slave, at least as far as reports go and I'm pretty content with the stock spring. My clutch is very linear as is.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
No, but that is ultimately bad for the slave, at least as far as reports go and I'm pretty content with the stock spring. My clutch is very linear as is.
That is bogus propaganda put out there by the people that are making a killing selling assist springs.
If the pressure back on the clutch pedal is normal through the entire range of travel, as it is without an assist spring, then the action and pressure on the slave cylinder is not affected in any way. It's probably easier on the slave because the engagement and disengagement is linear.

Last edited:

Accel Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, R32 GTR, Fiesta ST
I pulled the spring entirely on my 2012 GT and really preferred the extra effort and linear feeling. I only had the car for about 25k miles if I recall and never tracked it so I don't know if there would've been any problems later on.

I'd like to just pull the springs on the GT350 clutch. Never heard about that slave cyl issue until now but I've been out of a Mustang since 2013. Also saw some mention of sticking clutch pedal on the track. Any input?

I'd probably still remove it and try it out since they are easy to reverse.

Sponsored

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It's an improvement over the stock spring but still not as good as no spring at all IMO. Think I'm going to go with no spring.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
The voodoo clutch return spring is much lighter than the coyote spring? Not sure of function verses feel?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score